• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Raildriver adoption Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

If someone wants to test current state of the changes as mentioned above, attached is a binary package.

This is based on ORMG 3.7, so make sure the prerequisites as mentioned here are installed. Should work both for 64 and 32 bit, default to the OS architecture.

Known issues:
- expects the RD calibration file (ModernCalibration.rdm) in the exe-folder. This is a temporary issue and change to the original version, but since I expect to remove these external calibration and move into settings/options anyway, didn't want to spent time fixing Path-settings

Currently working on button customization, and I'll backport the code changes to ORTS (other than the changes for 64bit which there is not possible in original ORTS currently) only once done, or if someone else wants to take on such job.

Let me know any feedback or bug reports.

//edit on Feb 3rd - removed the binary package as a newer version is available further down the thread.

#22 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:48 PM

View Postdforrest, on 30 December 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

I have had a RailDriver for many years but find that its support for steam locomotives, the only thing I seriously drive, is very limited.

since I'm not driving steam engines, I don't really know what's missing. Imagine we get customizable blue buttons (and maybe the left hand side buttons as well), would the levers need to be mapped/used differently also?

#23 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:20 AM

View PostperpetualKid, on 25 December 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

Unfortunately didn't got it working in the first trial, but I discovered the Raildriver support in ORTS is bound to an older 32bit driver implementation from PI Engineering. Good news though, PI is supporting 64bit in newer versions of their API. However there are some changes in the PI API which require couple updates to the OR code for Raildriver to get the new version to work. Furthermore, they way it's implemented, may cause some challenges supporting both a 32bit and 64bit at the same time. I'm looking to implement this in a 64bit version of OR MG at least, but potentially backport to the official (32bit) version as well - if there is interest at all...

If there are changes we can safely make to the official version that will enable 64bit to work in the future, I'd be happy to take them ahead of enabling 64bit support. I suspect we'll keep things 32bit with MonoGame initially, just to reduce the number of large changes at once, but it does depend on how things are affected by 64bit.

View PostperpetualKid, on 25 December 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

So while getting into the code, wondering how many folks are using Raildriver with ORTS, if there's larger interest in other changes.
I searched the forums and there seem few sporadic messages on Raildriver only, and indicating missing features like programmable key mappings or different keys mappings for OR camera views.

What's on folks mind, do we need any updates for Raildriver in OR? No commitment or timelines yet ;)

Being able to customise the buttons on the RailDriver, at least, would be fantastic; the other inputs I'm less sure need it, but if there's a calibration step needed for proper functioning I'm okay with us including that too.

#24 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:10 PM

finally got some time to complete work on the RailDriver implementation I started few weeks ago.

this includes:
- a new tab page on Options Dialog in Menu to customize Raildriver. The tab page will only show if an RD is connected
- on the page, RD buttons can be customized in a similar way as keyboard settings. Known limitation - each functionality can only have one unique button assigned. This means the horn and e-stop dual way switches can be assigned to different settings only, but not the same on either direction. In default config however, both switches still can be used in both ways for the same functionality.
- RailDriver calibration is now part of the options dialog. Calibration is fully integrated in ORTS, so there is no need for separate calibration program and calibration files. Therefore an initial calibration needs to be run in ORTS. While Calibration runs, a guidance dialog will be shown as in the screenshot, showing which lever to move in position to get a measurement, before moving to next.
- I found some Trello card voting for options to reverse lever handling, and use full throttle range for trains not using dynamic brake. This can be configured separately now.

- both 32 and 64bit versions working
- fixed the BailOff issue
- more precise input reading
This is currently based on Monogame implementation, and as before, requires .NET 4.7.1, DirectX runtime, and OAL installed as mentioned here

Attached Image: RailDriver.jpg
//removed attachment for newer version further down the thread

#25 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:40 PM

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gif Your time and effort are very much appreciated. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cool3.gif http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

#26 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:58 PM

I'm not sure RD is calibrating correctly on my system...The Raildriver does not indicate it is turned on, the speed window is dark during calibration.
Options\Raildriver\Run Calibration

Downloaded Program.zip, installed - indication that ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll was required - it was missing - copied over from version 1.3 monogame.
Made sure Net Framework (latest version 4.7.2) was installed, OpenAL was already installed, and since I'm running Win7 Pro 64bit, I believe DirectX runtime is also installed.
What did I miss??

#27 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:05 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 04 February 2019 - 03:58 PM, said:

I'm not sure RD is calibrating correctly on my system...The Raildriver does not indicate it is turned on, the speed window is dark during calibration.
Options\Raildriver\Run Calibration

Downloaded Program.zip, installed - indication that ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll was required - it was missing - copied over from version 1.3 monogame.
Made sure Net Framework (latest version 4.7.2) was installed, OpenAL was already installed, and since I'm running Win7 Pro 64bit, I believe DirectX runtime is also installed.
What did I miss??

as long the Raildriver tab page appears, the unit is correctly identified and used.
I didn't think of any indication on the Raildriver itself, but if's a good point and I'll add some output on the speed window

As for ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll, that should no longer be needed, but I realize there was some old code in the launcher (OpenRails.exe) checking for dependencies, which is cleaned up for next version: Instead of OpenRails.exe you could just start Menu.exe, or as you did copy an older version, or create an empty file called
ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll ….

#28 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:05 PM

just changed as per discussion above, during calibration run the RD unit will first show "CAL" for calibration, and afterwards the respective lever positions numeric values. Not that the values would mean anything, but at least you have some sign everything is working.
Same for the blue button customization, when a button is pressed while editing the assignment, the button's number code is displayed.

Also fixed the ziplib dependency check.

//removed attachment because of newer version further down the thread

#29 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:20 PM

RE: Calibrating RD

Every locomotive I've tried starts with 100% dynamics...anyone else??I found the dynamic brakes calibration a little confusing ( and I calibrated many times using Raildrivers calibration format) - but I'm going to assume I messed up the instructions...so going to go through it again.
Thanks again, perpetualkid, your efforts much appreciated.

#30 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:57 AM

I am very interested in this and considering how I can setup a profile for user with British steam locomotives. I assume others have the same, or similar, ideas and wonder if there is any thought to publishing standard "profiles" for this (and other) uses. If there is, I would be very interested is assisting in the preparation of testing of them.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users