Camera View Origin Underground Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 November 2020 - 02:15 PM

View PostYoRyan, on 12 November 2020 - 07:48 PM, said:

Well in my opinion, this is a legitimate bug, and it's worth looking into. Every other video game I can think of snaps the camera to the terrain. It's surprising and occasionally irritating that we don't do so, too.

Unfortunately, Mauricio never made the source code of his changes public. Otherwise, I would have considered cleaning them up and merging them into the official release.

Mostly correct, except I would caution against assuming any program changes amount to a "trivial task." :whistling:

Occasionally, for one reason or another, I need to look around under the terrain...shouldn't there be some sort of key stroke for "ghosting" ( not clipping -- I really don't know what the correct term is ) for going under the terrain?

Yep, the "trivial task" bit caught my eye, after reading some of your posts and other developers, I get that, especially if accurate documentation about the code does not exist.

#22 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 13 November 2020 - 02:42 PM

A special key to explore underneath the terrain? Maybe, but what would be the use case? If you just want to peer underground, then maybe a wireframe mode would be the way to go, which would also be useful for other purposes. And of course, there would be no camera restrictions in the Route Editor or in TSRE.

#23 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 14 November 2020 - 04:22 AM

I have never had the difficulties you describe bother me at all David. If your doing so much view jumping around your not doing prototypical railroading anyway.

When I'm shunting I use the #6 view fixed on the couplers and the #2 & 3 views if there's a need for spotting keeping the view low as if I'm riding on top of the freight cars, also prototypical btw.

I like 'immersive' simming and flying around and ending up underground is NOT in any way my style.

I always use the unstable testing versions as I am MUCH more interested in building a better sim that correcting minor visual glitches mainly caused by the users manipulation of the camera controls.

I also have a rear cone of light available on all my engines (prototypical) which is an amazing help in yard shunting at night,
My activity LILCO Coal on the Long Island Rail Road begins at 0400 and the rear light makes assembling the train from three separate cuts of cars in the very dark Long Island City yards a breeze.
I DONT fly around because it's not prototypical and of course you can put yourself in the ditch, so to speak.

regards,
vince

Above is an edited version of a post from Vince, which has since been deleted.

Currently my two main uses of Open Rails are shunting (switching) activities and preparation of night textures for a route.

My preference is the UK steam era and UK steam locos do not have a rear cone light, or even a front one. All operations are done with what can be seen without these.

For the night texture preparation, I have Open Rails running (at "night") on one monitor and TSRE, in search mode, on the other. It involves much intricate movement on the Open Rails screen,

Both of these regularly, accidentally, result in the field of view being moved below ground level.

I too do not fly or jump around.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users