Elvas Tower: Additional Train Forces - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Additional Train Forces Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:29 PM

View Postmbm_OR, on 14 August 2018 - 02:53 AM, said:

About HUDWindow, there is an issue when the HUD expanded information (Shift + F5) does not fit on the screen.
In some cases, all Force information lines are not displayed.

This proposal adds a new HUDScrollWindow that allows us a way to scroll the information adjusting the lines to be shown.

I think that this seems to be a good addition to address the issue displaying extra lines on the HUD.

A couple of questions.

What does the None function do?

How does one switch back to "normal" HUD operation (and get rid of the scroll menu)?

If supported this could be committed as part of this blueprint.

Thanks for your work on this.

#42 User is offline   Duke 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:58 AM

Great, now is the HUD information scrollable.
It`s appear complete automatic and goes away if it is not required.

:good2:

I found little Problems:
  • some tender shows not coupling Force information by F in the HUD - I searching why not all tenders
  • diesel engine shows ever F even for R with CouplingHasRididConnection 1
  • electric engine shows ever R even for F with CouplingHasRididConnection 0

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Tender.jpg

#43 User is offline   hroch 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:23 AM

Hello,

Good work Mauricio.

When a steam locomotive is selected, Scroll control is not displayed. It only appears when it is switched to the HUD dispatcher. The Hud dispatcher works only in the right / left moving. The screen does not work. Scroll control do not work in the other HUDs.
Attached Image: HUD_steamer.jpg

#44 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:02 AM

If CouplingHasRigidConnection (0) is used on any car or locomotive the Forces HUD will show F, same as not having the line there.

If CouplingHasRigidConnection (1) or CouplingHasRigidConnection() is used there will be an R shown on the Forces HUD page.

There is no distinction yet between Automatic, Bar or Chain.

#45 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:47 PM

steamer_ctn: What does the None function do? ?

None function is not more required.
With this new version, the window scrolls interactivity, it's more friendly for the user.

steamer_ctn: How does one switch back to "normal" HUD operation (and get rid of the scroll menu)?

Please, try this new code.

Duke: It`s appear complete automatic and goes away if it is not required.?

Thanks to test it.

hroch: The Hud dispatcher works only in the right / left moving.

Fixed. For Dispatcher information the vertical and horizontal scroll now work.

About Locomotive Information and Brake Information, it remains a job in progress.
Only, Force Information and Dispatcher Information are ready to use.

Thanks for the feedback.

Attached test file for x4173.
18/08/2018. Deleted, by new code.

#46 User is offline   hroch 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 18 August 2018 - 05:16 AM

Mauricio

When I start OR with a steam locomotive OR crashes into Windows.
Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (17.99K)
Number of downloads: 424

#47 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:32 AM

View Posthroch, on 18 August 2018 - 05:16 AM, said:

When I start OR with a steam locomotive OR crashes into Windows.

Sorry, a file was missing in the zip.

Attached is the new zip file.
30/08/2018. Deleted by new code.

#48 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:57 PM

After re-installing the coupler information in the HUD, curiosity got the better of me (and you know what happened to the curious cat), and I decided to have a closer look at the coupler code.

Firstly, in OR only the following parameters are used to define a coupler (which may not be an issue as such, but needs to be understood for clarity of definition):

i) couplinghasrigidconnection
ii) Stiffness
iii) Break
iv) R0

NB: The coupler type statement, ie whether it is a Chain, Bar, or Automatic coupler etc is not considered. This could be included in the code to prevent non-matched wagons and cars from coupling, however I suspect that it would cause some issues with poorly defined legacy Wagon files.

Secondly, I suspect that some of the "default" limits are too low, and hence this is restricting some of the slack movement, and general coupler operation.

Thirdly, it also appears that only one coupler is being used from the WAG file, so hence where two couplers are defined, only the second (or coupler last to be read in the file) is being used. This may not be an issue for some wagons were the couplers are the same at each end, however steam locomotives which have a BAR coupler and a Chain/Automatic coupler will only have either the BAR or the C/A coupler depending upon which one is defined last in the WAG file.

So I have decided to address some of the above issues. At this stage I will not be changing the underlying coupler forces calculation code as it is quite complex, and I still don't fully understand it.

So as a consequence, I have done a small update to the use of the Break information parameter which has the following form - Break ( x y ), where

x = the "Proof" force of the coupler. It appears that this value is a guaranteed value below which the coupler will not fail. Operating over this limit may cause stresses in the coupler, but it should not fail or break until the next limit is reached. Information will be displayed ("O/L") in the FORCES INFORMATION HUD if this value is exceeded. This value appears to be somewhere between 50 - 60% of the ultimate coupler force.

y = Ultimate Coupler force. The force that will cause the coupler to break. The player will be advised that the coupler has been broken, and information will also be displayed in the HUD ("xxx").

NOTE: It should be remembered that the breaking force of the "coupler" will be the smaller of the force required to break the metal coupler, or the force to pull the coupler off the car. Thus couplers mounted on wooden cars would typically require smaller forces to "break" the coupler.

The "Break Couplers" option needs to be selected in the Options Menu for Couplers to be broken.

In Appendix A of this document are some examples of typical Coupler Forces.

Thus for example from the above document, a Coach Drawhook (Drop Head Buckeye) would be defined as follows:

Break ( 0.3e6N 0.75e6N )

Patch #4180 now has the above changes.

#49 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 24 August 2018 - 08:15 AM

Peter,
Thanks for the detective work. I know on my steam locomotives - two different coupler definitions are used for exactly the reason you highlighted.

#50 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:12 PM

In #4182 some modifications have been made to the operation of the R0 parameter of the coupler definition.

The R0 parameter has the following form,

R0 ( x y )

where

x = the "rest" position of the coupler. Ideally this value should be equal to zero, however this value also appears to have an impact on the spacing of cars when they are at rest, so small values of up to 150mm (15cm) can be inputted into this parameter

y = the maximum travel of the coupler.

The maximum travel of the coupler will vary between different coupler types. For example, couplers manufactured to AAR specifications (Such as the type F) will have a maximum travel of around 4.5" ( 115 mm ). Screw couplers may only have a movement of an inch or so. Some research will be required to determine the relevant parameters for each coupler type.

To see the impact of this change, run a train on level track (CTN test route for example) initially, and apply small applications of throttle. Once moving try putting throttle to zero, and then slowly apply engine brake.

Make sure that the R0 and Break parameters in the stock under test have been set to realistic values.

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users