Elvas Tower: Default direction in placing Light signals - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Default direction in placing Light signals What is the default direction of th signal? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   StationWhere 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:19 AM

I noted a difference between TSRE and MSTS concerning the direction of the light signal when just placed. It seem to me inverse.
I will post a picture for a better explanation.
Thank you for your attention.
Regards.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:27 AM

I can't really see the signal in this image, but there is a button somewhere on the left side of the screen to flip the direction of the signal if it doesn't face the right way at first

#3 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:43 AM

The 'X' key will also 'flip' the direction of the signal. (one of Goku's 'hidden' buttons I happened to find by accident)

Also the orientation of the trackpiece itself will determine the initial or 'default' position of the signal which can be different than MSTS position but has absolutely no issue at all.
It's a different editor and this initial position is just that.... a placement position that has no 'meaning' at all leaving up to the authors decision as to where he wants the signalshape facing.

A significant difference from MSTS is the signal tripper cannot be moved after placement.

vince

#4 User is offline   StationWhere 

• Fireman

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:08 AM

View Postebnertra000, on 09 May 2018 - 07:27 AM, said:

I can't really see the signal in this image, but there is a button somewhere on the left side of the screen to flip the direction of the signal if it doesn't face the right way at first

Thank you. I will try this.

#5 User is offline   StationWhere 

• Fireman

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:15 AM

View Postvince, on 09 May 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

....Also the orientation of the trackpiece itself will determine the initial or 'default' position ....

vince

You are certainly right.

Each time I lay tracks. I ask a question to myself
- Is it the ood direction of a future path?
But, indeed, I am not able to answer at this moment.

#6 User is offline   Rigo 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:03 AM

View PostStationWhere, on 10 May 2018 - 01:15 AM, said:

Each time I lay tracks. I ask a question to myself
- Is it the ood direction of a future path?

What is "OOD" in this context? I'm not familiar with track building or editing yet but I might as well know what's being discussed for future reference.

#7 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:01 PM

View PostStationWhere, on 10 May 2018 - 01:15 AM, said:

You are certainly right.Each time I lay tracks. I ask a question to myself
- Is it the ood direction of a future path? [good]
But, indeed, I am not able to answer at this moment.

No. When you initially place a track it's 'pivot' is where you have the cursor positioned. 'Flipping' a track section simply put the pivot at the other end of the track and has nothing to do with any "future paths" How would the track 'know' the future?
If you're worried about trains running on track that has been flipped for whatever reason there is no worry.

It does not matter which way a track is installed EXCEPT...... when signal is initially placed it's default position IS tied to the relation to the tracks pivot. I don't know if the red pyramid points to or points away from the track pivot. SAY....... Maybe you could run an experiment, place a signal on two tracks one with the pivot 'flipped'.

Please let us know how the alignment looks. I'd do it myself but I'm busy installing two turntables and as you brought up this interesting subject it's only right to let you have the honor of running the experiment. Thanks.

regards,
vince

#8 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:16 PM

Some time ago I reported a problem with signal direction, where the signal direction as shown in TRSE did not match the direction as derived by ORTS, see this post.
I hope this has been sorted now, I have not done any route editing lately so I have not had a chance to test it. Admittedly, I have never been able to work out exactly when this problem occured.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#9 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

This wasn't resolved, but I think it may happen when you edit track vector with signal already placed on it. It can happen because when you join two track vectors, one of them has to be flipped sometimes, and TSRE does a track item location update, but signal type flag (front face / back face) also needs to be updated.

#10 User is offline   StationWhere 

• Fireman

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:10 AM

View Postvince, on 10 May 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

No. When you initially place a track it's 'pivot' is where you have the cursor positioned. 'Flipping' a track section simply put the pivot at the other end of the track and has nothing to do with any "future paths" How would the track 'know' the future?
If you're worried about trains running on track that has been flipped for whatever reason there is no worry.

It does not matter which way a track is installed EXCEPT...... when signal is initially placed it's default position IS tied to the relation to the tracks pivot. I don't know if the red pyramid points to or points away from the track pivot. SAY....... Maybe you could run an experiment, place a signal on two tracks one with the pivot 'flipped'.

Please let us know how the alignment looks. I'd do it myself but I'm busy installing two turntables and as you brought up this interesting subject it's only right to let you have the honor of running the experiment. Thanks.

regards,
vince

Hello.
First. Excuse me for an answer several days later.

If I put a signal upon a track, the red pyramid take the direction of the path
If the lights are not turned in the good direction, I select the mast or the basket of the signal and I clic FLIP. Only the mast /basket and the lights reverse. The red pyramid turn and It seem OK so

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users