• You cannot reply to this topic

Vacuum brakes in diesel activity Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:52 AM

Hi Steven,

I can appreciate that some people do not want to edit eng files. I am hoping that those who feel competent to do this will create and share Open Rails eng files or at least patches to make sure that your favourite MSTS locos will work in OR.

Part of the problem is that a number of MSTS diesels have incorrect parameters in them. So now that vacuum brakes are being developed in Open Rails these incorrect parameters may cause problems.

IJ_Class33_33065vac has TrainBrakesControllerMaxSystemPressure( 90 ) which is impossible since a perfect vacuum would be 30 in Hg.
This should be changed to TrainBrakesControllerMaxSystemPressure( 21 )

D6306 should work in OR (apart from the loco brake)

D800 also specifies TrainBrakesControllerMaxSystemPressure( 90 ) in this case as it is a Western Region loco then before 1967 you might want to put TrainBrakesControllerMaxSystemPressure( 25 ) as the WR used 25 in Hg, the same as the GWR.

NSE 117 should work in OR.

D1022 has BrakeSystemType( "Air_single_pipe" ) in the wag section but BrakesTrainBrakeType( "Vacuum_single_pipe" ) in the eng sectoin which will cause confusion in OR - both should be the same.

Class 121 and 118 should work in OR... but you will only get 10.5 in Hg vacuum when you release the brakes as they have TrainBrakesControllerMaxSystemPressure( 10.5 ) which OR will interpret as 10.5 in Hg for a vacuum brake system (rather than 10.5 psi).

It seems common in MSTS files to set the loco brake as

Brake_Engine ( 0 1 0.04 0
NumNotches ( 1
Notch ( 0 1 Dummy )
)
)

Which is simply non-functional in OR.

To get a working loco brake in OR I would suggest replacing this with

Brake_Engine ( 0 1 0.25 0
NumNotches ( 3
Notch( 0 0 EngineBrakesControllerReleaseStart )
Notch( 0.25 0 EngineBrakesControllerHoldStart )
Notch( 0.50 0 EngineBrakesControllerApplyStart )))

On the experimental tab in OR is a tick box for correct questionable braking parameters

This is very useful for getting your old MSTS files to work in OR, but it can not correct all errors.

Regards

Darwin

#12 User is offline   Stephen 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:49 AM

Hi Darwin,

Please, my name is spelt with a "ph" and not a "v". I'm happy to be addressed by Steve as a shortened version of Stephen but NOT as Steven.

I can appreciate that some people do not want to edit eng files. I am hoping that those who feel competent to do this will create and share Open Rails eng files or at least patches to make sure that your favourite MSTS locos will work in OR.

Modifying these eng files for public use requires the necessary permissions from the model makers which isn't always possible so I always try to make my activities work "out of the box".

Thanks for all the information but all these engines used to work properly under Open Rails provided there weren't any conflict between Air and Vacuum entries and the amount of pressure drop and now they don't which was the point of my original post. These have been used in some of my uploaded activities either as Player loco or as Ai without complaints from other users. Ai traffic doesn't seem to be affected by inconsistencies in the brake parameters whereas driven ones are. When the weekly update is available I will recheck these to see what improvements have been made.

I have the "Correct questionable braking parameters" box ticked.

Brake_Engine ( 0 1 0.25 0
NumNotches ( 3
Notch( 0 0 EngineBrakesControllerReleaseStart )
Notch( 0.25 0 EngineBrakesControllerHoldStart )
Notch( 0.50 0 EngineBrakesControllerApplyStart )))

I rarely use engine brakes so this isn't a problem for me and these are very similar to what I use for Train Brakes with normally very good results.

Regards,

Stephen

#13 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

I do not see why a model builder would need to be asked before making changes to an eng or wag file, the model builder does not have a copyright on them unlike mesh and textures.

#14 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:37 AM

Sorry about the spelling Stephen.

As said above, there should be no copyright issue about alterations to eng and wag files.

Four options are available here:

(1) The original author if still active may wish to distribute new Open Rails physics files for their rolling stock, or request someone to do this on their behalf.

(2) With the permission of the original modeller, then anyone may share an "official patch".

(3) By making an Open Rails file in an Open Rails folder an "unofficial" patch can be uploaded that does not require the original eng or wag file to be changed in any way.

(4) For use in an activity, you can make an edited eng or wag file - with a different file name that remains unique to your activity.

Part of developing Open Rails is to keep testing old MSTS stock to make sure that it is still compatible as far as possible. However when the contents of the original files contain things that are contradictory or impossible there may be problems.

Most of the stock you listed should work in OR. But one or two of them do have errors or conflicts.

Thanks

Darwin

#15 User is offline   Stephen 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:30 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback, most of which I already do anyway which enables me to continue using MSTS when necessary without compromising specific OR settings.

Regards,

Stephen

#16 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:05 PM

Hi
I'm looking for some 1st generation BR D.M.U engine files that takes advantage of the new vacuum brake parameters. Has anyone achieved this yet?

Thanks

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users