• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Developing the Developers Accelerating development Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:49 AM

Very good. I hope it can go ahead and will help the situation.

A small point. You should mention UKTrainSim as in addition to TrainSim ad Elvas Tower in the forums listed in the proposed web page.

#42 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

cjakeman, on 01 May 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

The blueprint contains a link to 2 simple mock-ups:

• two pages for the website

Here's the text for the first webpage that the pop-up will link to. I've tried to choose 3 sample topics which a visitor will not need experience of Open Rails to understand:

Attached Image: 2017-05-04 18_58_41-webpage mockup with details from Angular-UI.doc Compatibility Mode - MS Word w.jpg

Again, feedback would be welcome.

#43 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

Hi Chris,

How is it proposed to recruit other roles so that coders are not required to fulfill all the roles indicated in my post?

For example who is going to update the manual when new features are added, etc?

Thanks

#44 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

steamer_ctn, on 04 May 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

How is it proposed to recruit other roles so that coders are not required to fulfill all the roles indicated in my post?

Well, as you see, I'm focussing on the coding at the moment, but your post about the broader picture was very relevant too.

You may have noticed that we take opportunities that arise to recruit people who show a specific interest - for example Robert (SP 0-6-0) recently agreed to gather information on how to adjust MSTS models to work with OR which we hope will lead to some best practice guidelines.

I'm sure we would all welcome suggestions for sharing the project more widely and achieving more.

#45 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:59 AM

How about getting in touch with this group: http://forums.uktrai...?f=288&t=146772

https://www.youtube....h?v=r8uG4unmJ-g

Have the ability to leave the cab, walk around the train, active car loading, and other stuff I might have missed.

chris

#46 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

longiron, on 05 May 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

Have the ability to leave the cab, walk around the train, active car loading, and other stuff I might have missed.

chris

\
That's something i outlined in the Camera Set proposal. Chris J was working on that some time ago but I don't know the current status.

#47 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:07 PM

Thanks, Chris.

longiron, on 05 May 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

How about getting in touch with this group: http://forums.uktrai...?f=288&t=146772

Good idea, I had missed this.

Would you be willing to contact them on behalf of the Open Rails Project?

Genma Saotome, on 05 May 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

That's something i outlined in the Camera Set proposal. Chris J was working on that some time ago but I don't know the current status.

Current status: I've made a start but paused to prepare this "Developing the Developers" campaign.

#48 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

cjakeman, on 04 May 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

Here's the text for the first webpage that the pop-up will link to.

And here's text for the second webpage that the earlier one will link to.

Attached Image: 2017-05-07 19_52_43-webpage mockup with details from Angular-UI.doc Compatibility Mode - MS Word w.jpg
Attached Image: 2017-05-07 19_53_09-webpage mockup with details from Angular-UI.doc Compatibility Mode - MS Word w.jpg

Again, feedback would be welcome.

#49 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

I am very encouraged to see this dynamic discussion.

Almost all of the posts and points are well made and valueable aside from rock tossers who are the vandals of history.

Well done all hands. Please keep going.

the other train sims are failures due to a number of problems none of them will face. The move into more and more complex and highly photographic styles of train sim are death to creativity and just a dive in to the money pit. Do NOT go that way.

keep going with the dynamic and feisty wrestling match with limits you are all in. I work with sim and game development now world wide and own and manage a recruitment and development discussion group from all ranges of entertainment and practical application including military and engineering and virtual world making is a new vast realm.

You have the right idea: make a new better sim..and using MSTS content was a genius level decision. Content is the key and always will be

a not of caution. You have driven away some potentially key people by not being open to their ideas and their suggestions. That is the only potential danger i see. Try to listen and be more open minded. It may make the project happen much faster. Goku and his editor are essential as are an activity editor.

Get it up and running with the basic tools and then develop the bells and whistles. And above all pay attention to the camera for that is the window that all will be seen. movement away from the tracks and the trains is what revoutionized MSTS and allowed routes to be worlds the world seen from the cab is just not enough. it is valuable but the wider view is key.

great work on all of the sharing and please keep talking

Chris :sign_thanks:

#50 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

IMO you need three different road maps.

Do a wide open critique of the present "world of rendering" as used by OR. What are the differences between where OR is and where OR would be if it were started anew this summer? Toss out the available features you'll never need (e.g., explosions, the physics of falling objects) and examine what's left for its utility; first pass at anything that's not eye candy but instead enhances performance, and then a different list for eye candy. Don't get hung up on tools/ platforms, etc., but instead focus on features that would serve the goal of a better simulator. Do a quick check on what's the average VRAM on GPU cards today vs. 5 years ago and what that might imply. Whatever looks right for this sim is the new target. Then what is the plan for going from where OR is to where it should be? That's your technical road map.

You'll need a different road map to address content -- across the board. This should be from file design to tools.

The last road map is stuff within the game loop. Most of that is already done and you've got a good idea already where improvement can be made. Deal with the other two road maps first.

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users