• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lights in OR for Penalty / Emergency? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   espee 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:53 PM

Just set up a flashing red emergency light on a steamer. Works exactly the same as a diesel so is not loco type dependent.
If you want all the lights both Type 0 and Type 1 to go out on an emergency application, then all other lights must have Penalty ( 1 )
Default Penalty ( 0 ) all lights will stay on under an emergency application. My preference is for all lights out except the red. ymmv

Used the same code as above:

Light (
			comment( UDE )
			Type( 0 )
			Conditions (
				Headlight ( 0 )
				Unit ( 0 )
				Penalty ( 2 )
			)
			FadeIn	( 0.5 )
			FadeOut	( 0.5 )
			Cycle	( 0 )
			States ( 2
				State
				(
					Duration ( 0.5 )
					LightColour ( 80FF0000 )
					Position ( 0 3.05 7.38 )
					Azimuth ( -10 0 10 )
					Transition ( 0 )
					Radius ( 1.0 )
				)
				State
				(
					Duration ( 0.5 )
					LightColour ( 00000000 )
					Position ( 0 3.05 7.38 )
					Azimuth ( -10 0 10 )
					Transition ( 0 )
					Radius ( 1.0 )
				)
			)
		)

#12 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the replies again... but unfortunately I continue to be totally stumped as to what is going on...

So far, no matter what I've tried, or which locomotive I've tried, I have yet to observe the "Penalty" condition having any effect on locomotive lights - either turning lights on, or off. This includes modifying the default Dash 9 the same as Carlo posted several messages ago. Copying his light entries into the Dash 9 had no effect on the lighting when putting a default consist into emergency braking on the default Marias pass route - the headlights never turned off.

I've tested a variety of locomotives in OR from multiple sources hoping to find an example where the penalty lights worked - 3DTrains, BLW, old 3DTrainStuff, and others, etc, and every locomotive I've tried that has Penalty conditions set up in the lighting section has no effect for me when running them in OR... Penalty ( 1 ) lights never switch off, and Penalty ( 2 ) lights never come on.

#13 User is offline   espee 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:56 PM

I can't see anything fatally wrong in the code, you have Penalty before Unit but that doesn't matter, you have Unit (2) whereas I prefer Unit (0) but again upon testing they both work...

Is there anything in your OR log that might shine a light ? I can't see a missing bracket or the like causing such a failure if you have tried so many locos.

#14 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:47 AM

Espee and all,

I finally figured out what was going on... I sent my model to Carlo for him to test and see if the Penalty lights worked for him - and he reported that they did. In his reply to me he mentioned something which made me realize what was happening in this case... He said he pressed the emergency brake button (backspace key) to set the emergency brakes - I wasn't doing this, rather I was placing the brakes in emergency by using the Brake_Train controller and the " key to place the brakes in emergency setting. When I tried using the backspace key the Penalty lights finally did work for me.

So, this is the difference between MSTS and OR I / we have been missing... In MSTS, setting the Brake_Train controller in the "TrainBrakesControllerEmergencyStart" notch also activates the Penalty lights. In OR, this brake notch does not activate the Penalty lights - only using the backspace key does. The other thing I noticed is that using the controller to apply the emergency brakes instead of the backspace key does not activate the penalty time delay before they can be reset... With the backspace key you have to wait for the amount of time specified in the .eng file before you can release the brakes again - but in OR, if you use the brake controller you can release the emergency brakes immediately.

So - after finally realizing this I think OR needs to be updated so that both the backspace key and the Brake_Train controller notch can set the emergency brake condition, and therefore the Penalty lights and penalty time before they can be released.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and help in figuring this out!

Derek

#15 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:16 AM

Derek !
You aren't alone - I had the same trouble with the indicator light coming on when I applied brakes with cab control . I finally realized it too only works with the Keyboard , I think it's ( Back) backspace key .
I also would still like to have it functional from within the cab , if possible .

#16 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:53 AM

As of now this can be activated also by a cab control, but it must be an EMERGENCY_BRAKE control, not a TRAIN_BRAKE control.
I don't know whether this differentiation (which could be removed) is a wanted or unwanted feature.

#17 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:07 PM

Well, I definitely think that the sim should function the same whether you put the brakes into emergency with the backspace key, putting the train brake into emergency, or use an emergency brake control... In my mind the end result is the same regardless of which control or technique you use to get there ;)

#18 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

The back space key or the emergency button/lever will work in a diesel but you will still have to reset cab throttle and brake controls to " 0 " after the loco stops . The emergency will apply brakes , and shut off power to traction motors but the engine or engines will still be running at same speed .
A steamer is a lot different - Emergency will apply brakes but reverser stays where it was and so does regulator/throttle . Brakes will be on full with reverser in same position and throttle also open . It will be like trying to stop a car that's still in gear with the gas pedal depressed . Won't it ?
The lights inside and outside will work properly but that's all unless all the controls also return to an idle or neutral position .
Am I wrong or am I misunderstanding the operation ?
In MSTS the emergency worked off of the engine brake lever only , which was more realistic for steam use as the operator would shut down steam and neutralize the reverser as he was applying the brake so that the power was shut down before the brakes kicked in .

#19 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

You're pretty much correct... With steam locomotives being very manual machines, they're not at all like a diesel where you can hit a button and the brakes automatically go into emergency while at the same time killing the power. With a steam locomotive, it will continue to try to pull the train, which requires the engineer to close the throttle after making an emergency brake application. The brakes will eventually stop the train even if the steamer tries to keep pulling if the throttle and reverser aren't touched - but the stopping distance will obviously be longer than if the throttle was closed immediately.

#20 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:13 AM

Fix committed in x.3813. Emergency lights now activated also if brake controller moved to emergency.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users