• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tenders on Steam Locomotives Tender required or not required Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

Whilst investigating the addition of functionality to allow for dynamic variation of locomotive weight, a bug was identified with the steam locomotive code which didn't "separate" the coal and water weight from the locomotive if a tender was fitted to the locomotive.

This has now been corrected in #3785. For the purposes of this patch it has been assumed that all locomotives require a tender unless OR is advised otherwise in the ENG.

The train consist will now be checked to see if a tender is present, and if none is present, OR will check to see if the ENG file indicates that a tender is not required (ie it is a tank locomotive). If a tender is required, and is not present in the consist then water and coal will be "exhausted", naturally continued operation of the locomotive will cause serious damage.

To configure OR to operate a steam locomotive without a tender the MSTS parameter IsTenderRequired must be present in the ENG file. Setting this value to 0 will allow the operation of a tank locomotive.

#2 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

Hi Peter, in x3791 timetable mode steam tender locos with "is tender required (1)" have zero coal and water. Is this related to this new feature?
The same locos have 100% coal and water in activity mode
Tank engines have full fuel in timetable mode
Steam hot start is enabled.
I remember Rob said engine and tender are different Classes, and are treated differently in Timetables.
Thanks, rick

#3 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:51 PM

View Postrickloader, on 10 February 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

in x3791 timetable mode steam tender locos with "is tender required (1)" have zero coal and water. Is this related to this new feature?

I will have a look and try and work it out.

Thanks

#4 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:17 PM

Hi Rick,

I have been out of action for the last few days (fighting bushfires), so I am now just starting to have a look at the issue that you raised, but as I don't use the timetable function, I am having trouble defining a test scenario to try and test for any bugs.

I am wondering whether you might be able to help out here?

Could you create a simple timetable, perhaps using two default Scotsman consists on the CTN Test Route?

Please send me the relevant timetable files, and I will have a further look at it.

Thanks

#5 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:06 AM

Peter

There is a problem if a consist is made with the tender leading. It is not recognised as a tender and the HUD shows zero fuel and water.

#6 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:31 AM

Hi Peter wow! fighting bush fires sounds exciting! ( or worrying?) I hope your property is not at risk.
I am making a timetable for the CTN test route as suggested. However, the platform names have white spaces, -,&. I don`t think these are allowed in timetables. I am going to rename the stations, and either send you the complete modified route, or you can make a copy yourself with the platforms named as in my timetable.
I think having a timetable test route is a good idea?

To amplify the tender loco in timetables. Rob explained that a loco and tender are in different classes, and that at present, timetables can`t see the tender as part of a loco. Maybe he could comment?
rick

#7 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:04 AM

I have run some more tests and my own timetable tender locos are now showing 100% coal and water, whereas yesterday they had zero. I have run the modified CTN test route in timetable mode, and that is ok too. No changes, still in x3791.

I now have just 1 case of zero fuel in activity mode. Yet the same consist (light engine) has fuel in other activities, and in timetables.
The consist is chimney leading on the path and to the left viewed in TSRE5. They are not flipped.
Have to leave it for now. Peter, would you like the modded CTN test route for timetables?
rick

#8 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the feedback.

View Postrickloader, on 15 February 2017 - 03:31 AM, said:

wow! fighting bush fires sounds exciting! ( or worrying?) I hope your property is not at risk.

All together over the weekend in NSW approx 20 homes were lost. We lost six in our area. Temperatures were just above 50 deg C for the day. Some photos

View Postrickloader, on 15 February 2017 - 03:31 AM, said:

I am making a timetable for the CTN test route as suggested. However, the platform names have white spaces, -,&. I don`t think these are allowed in timetables. I am going to rename the stations, and either send you the complete modified route, or you can make a copy yourself with the platforms named as in my timetable.
I think having a timetable test route is a good idea?

I agree, when you get a chance, please send through the timetable files, and info on the route changes.

View Postrickloader, on 15 February 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

I have run some more tests and my own timetable tender locos are now showing 100% coal and water, whereas yesterday they had zero. I have run the modified CTN test route in timetable mode, and that is ok too. No changes, still in x3791.

I now have just 1 case of zero fuel in activity mode. Yet the same consist (light engine) has fuel in other activities, and in timetables.
The consist is chimney leading on the path and to the left viewed in TSRE5. They are not flipped.

Ok, thanks for the update. Please let me know if you find anything that needs correcting.

#9 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 15 February 2017 - 02:06 AM, said:

There is a problem if a consist is made with the tender leading. It is not recognised as a tender and the HUD shows zero fuel and water.

Thanks for that. I will have a look at it.

#10 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 15 February 2017 - 02:06 AM, said:

Hopefully corrected in #3796.

Please test and confirm.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users