Elvas Tower: Automatic switch track sound - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Automatic switch track sound Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:58 PM

I hope someday a working CTC switch machine sound can be had? We've discussed this idea before but could not figure out the impact on large urban routes I believe?

Robert

#32 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

Could you hear it from the train?

vince

#33 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:29 PM

Vince, The idea is more for train spotter mode.

Robert

#34 User is offline   Smecty 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:15 AM

The sound "x_switch.wav" is not included in the download package and is called by both switchtrackex.sms and curveswitchtrack.sms. Did these sms files actually mean "x_switch1.wav?"

David

#35 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:38 PM

You're right. There is some .wav file missing. I foresee to upload an updated pack within some day.

#36 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:33 AM

I looked better at the issue. x_switch is called in the ScalabiltyGroup ( 0 ) section of the file. However this section of the file is not used by OR, so the lack of the file has no negative consequences.

#37 User is offline   Smecty 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:21 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 09 December 2018 - 10:33 AM, said:

I looked better at the issue. x_switch is called in the ScalabiltyGroup ( 0 ) section of the file. However this section of the file is not used by OR, so the lack of the file has no negative consequences.

Aha! Thanks Carlo; I'm good to go.

Cheers,

David

#38 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:55 PM

Is there any way we could get an SMS trigger for switch and crossover sounds? If we know the car's wheelbase, and we know the distance between truck centers, we can create sounds that transpose with speed and will synchronize perfectly at every switch or crossover.

#39 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:31 PM

To what existing .sms file would you add such triggers? And what would be the advantage? Also the switch track sounds that can be used with the available option can be transposed with speed, and start precisely.

#40 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 13 December 2018 - 01:19 AM

I am developing a universal set of freight car sounds, that's what I'd use it for. I seem to remember that the code loops a track based on the car length divided by two. In an ideal world, it would just play a single hit for each axle, but a workable compromise, because different cars will have differing wheelbases and differing truck centers, would be to calculate precisely where, in a sound file, each hit ought to be based on wheelbase and truck centers, so that I could come up with a set of clips for cars of differing wheel configurations. I'd set the clip up as a play-one-shot-when-triggered deal. Then I could perfectly synchronize the wheels hitting the switch with the audible sound. With the current method, it seems like you'd have a generic clip that would sound the same regardless of wheel configuration, so you'd never really synchronize the wheels with the gaps. With my method, I could set up several different SMS files for cars of common lengths, such as 40, 50, or 73 feet. It would also work regardless of how the track sounds are set up, since my understanding is that this has to be configured per-route. A similar setup could be used to create rail joints at predetermined spots, I'd assume.

Bear in mind that I'm putting together new track sounds as well. I've limited the content of those SMS files to spikes squeaking, rumble from bridges, and, eventually, rail hum. This allows me to set up the rolling stock sounds for differing configurations - 33-inch wheels, 36-inch wheels, with flat spots, without flat spots, and loaded or empty (flat spots sound completely different on a loaded car versus an empty car - empty cars are significantly louder as the vibrations resonate through the carbody).

It was just a thought that popped into my head, is all.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users