• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just Screenshots With or without Trains Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   cvo2010 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:No longer around

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

Visiting West Colton's diesel facility in OR...

(click on any image to enlarge):

Attached Image: West Colton diesel facility1.jpg

Attached Image: West Colton diesel facility2.jpg

Attached Image: West Colton diesel facility3.jpg

Attached Image: West Colton diesel facility4.jpg

Attached Image: West Colton diesel facility5.jpg

Attached Image: West Colton diesel facility6.jpg

Attached Image: West Colton diesel facility7.jpg

Attached Image: West Colton diesel facility8.jpg

Attached Image: West Colton diesel facility9.jpg

Attached Image: West Colton diesel facility10.jpg

Attached Image: West Colton diesel facility11.jpg

Attached Image: West Colton diesel facility12.jpg

Attached Image: West Colton diesel facility13.jpg

Regards Claus

#42 User is offline   pnrailway 

• Superintendant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

Great series of shots Claus.

#43 User is offline   batt 

• Hostler

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

View PostCoonskin, on 23 January 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

batt:

Thanks for the information! Is the book you linked above a different printing of this book:

http://www.ebay.com/...tYAAOSw0OBYKcjm

OR... is the above NOT the same book? If it's not a different printing of the same book as you referenced (instead being an entirely different book by the same author), then I will purchase the book you linked at Amazon.

IMHO, no switchback(s) is a good thing. I have track in place for the switchbacks over NP's Stampede Pass from east of Martin to west of the western portal of the tunnel. I took a serious look at this mini-segment for use as a link 'n pin project route. However, once I began some test operation on it, the sameness of operation sort of did me in. I came to the conclusion I was going to have to build MUCH more of the route (I had the needed NED DEM all the way to Tacoma) in order to have sufficient operational variation/opportunities. I think I recall feeling like I needed to build the entire subdivision from Tacoma eastward well past Stampede Pass (to the end of the sub division at some town that I can't recall) in order to gain what I thought I wanted in regards to operational variety/opportunities.

Thank you much for the offer on the USAPhotoMaps data. Hopefully, using the above book and the digital topographical maps available at caltopo.com, I can create the markers needed for the short route over the pass. If not, then I may take you up on the offer. That so, I would send you a pin drive to fill with data. At 13 gigs, you apparently have the data for the entire NP???

When working on a route, do you wait until the very last to add inter-actives, or are you placing them as you go?

All fer now.

Nah, that one's different. Who-ever's selling that has gotten their titles and/or photos crossed. I have that one too though. It covers the various branch lines of the NP throughout western Montana, including the Rimini branch which I've thought about adding to my route at some point in the very distant future.

On USAPhotomaps I have everything including branch lines of the NP from Billings, MT to Spokane, WA. I also have the GN from Havre to Spokane, and the Milwaukee from Lombard to Spokane. In addition to those I have the entirety of CB&Q lines in Wyoming and Montana as well as entirety of the Black Hills in South Dakota, the Chicago and Northwestern from Casper to Lander, Wyoming, the UP from Idaho Falls to West Yellowstone, MT, the Alaska Railroad from Seward to Fairbanks, the Copper River and Northwestern from Cordova, Alaska to Kennecott, the Hawaiian Islands(thought about doing a sugar-cane railway once), and all the standard gauge line of the DRGW from Denver/Pueblo, CO to Provo UT. Think I still got the ATSF from Phoenix, AZ up to Williams too.

Generally speaking, interactives are the very last things I will add to a route and I'll never touch a track or road once I've put interactives on it. I think its perfectly fine to do Mosaic work after though and you definitely need to have all road and track work in place before doing that.

#44 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:47 PM

batt:

Darn you! :diablo:

Your route has made pull my Stampede Pass route from the archives and tonight I spent some time in RE looking at what state it was in when I moth-balled it years ago! :spiteful:

Here's a look in AE at what I have in place at the Stampede Pass Summit area:

Attached Image: AE_Map120513.jpg

I had totally forgotten how wonderfully rugged the line is on the western descent off Stampede Pass. Of course, the era I would be interested in the switchbacks would be in use. However, I re-read in a history I had long fogotten I had that when the switchbacks were first in operation, they had to use the smaller engines of the time (right up my alley) AND there were pass tracks on the switchbacks because of traffic both ways! Amazing what one can learn when they read. :book2:

Scenically, the Green River section would also be quite picturesque as well. Oh, and I'm sure you know there is an entire loop (in a quite rugged setting) between Tacoma and the Green River area that was used to gain the elevation needed to get out of the basin that reaches west toward Tacoma!

However, the real pay dirt (operationally) would be the plethora of coal/quarry branch lines east of Tacoma, as well as Tacoma itself. Then there would be the logging between Stampede Pass and over toward Tacoma!

I really don't need to be thinking along these lines. :mshk:

I think I need to sleep on this and see what becomes of it over the next few days!

:lazy:

#45 User is offline   batt 

• Hostler

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

View PostCoonskin, on 23 January 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

batt:

Darn you! :diablo:

Your route has made pull my Stampede Pass route from the archives and tonight I spent some time in RE looking at what state it was in when I moth-balled it years ago! :spiteful:

Here's a look in AE at what I have in place at the Stampede Pass Summit area:

Attachment AE_Map120513.jpg

I had totally forgotten how wonderfully rugged the line is on the western descent off Stampede Pass. Of course, the era I would be interested in the switchbacks would be in use. However, I re-read in a history I had long fogotten I had that when the switchbacks were first in operation, they had to use the smaller engines of the time (right up my alley) AND there were pass tracks on the switchbacks because of traffic both ways! Amazing what one can learn when they read. :book2:

Scenically, the Green River section would also be quite picturesque as well. Oh, and I'm sure you know there is an entire loop (in a quite rugged setting) between Tacoma and the Green River area that was used to gain the elevation needed to get out of the basin that reaches west toward Tacoma!

However, the real pay dirt (operationally) would be the plethora of coal/quarry branch lines east of Tacoma, as well as Tacoma itself. Then there would be the logging between Stampede Pass and over toward Tacoma!

I really don't need to be thinking along these lines. :mshk:

I think I need to sleep on this and see what becomes of it over the next few days!

:lazy:

I recall they also mined coal on the east side toward Ellensburg as well. A little town on a branchline called Roslyn, WA. Played the part of Cicely, Alaska for the TV series "Northern Exposure". A lot of apple orchards around there too and some nice canyon route between there and Yakima.

Have a good night's sleep sir. Check your mail box when you get a chance.

#46 User is offline   cvo2010 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:30 PM

View Postpnrailway, on 23 January 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

Great series of shots Claus.

Thank's Paul http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif.

Regards Claus

#47 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:56 AM

View Postbatt, on 23 January 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

It would be so cool to have a caboose like that to live in. And I know of a great little piece of disused Montana track I would set it on. :D

View Postthegrindre, on 23 January 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

LOVE that 'boose, Jonatan!!!

Thanks guys, Tim Muir's the inspiration for that little crummy. :good:

#48 User is offline   cvo2010 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:04 PM

Just colourful scenes with some of the latest stuff from TS.com....

(click on any image to enlarge):

Attached Image: Colourful Graffiti1.jpg

Attached Image: Colourful Graffiti2.jpg

Attached Image: Colourful Graffiti3.jpg

Attached Image: Colourful Graffiti4.jpg

Attached Image: Colourful Graffiti5.jpg

Attached Image: Colourful Graffiti6.jpg

Attached Image: Colourful Graffiti7.jpg

Attached Image: Colourful Graffiti8.jpg

Attached Image: Colourful Graffiti9.jpg

Regards Claus

#49 User is offline   cvo2010