Elvas Tower: LIRR Route Editing with TSRE5 - Elvas Tower

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LIRR Route Editing with TSRE5 Editing large Tile w/2500+ Obj. has problems Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

ESD_Snappable is not supported yet. Will be done in the future.

Sometimes (fences, sidewalks) you can clone object using "C" + move it using "transform" button as alternative.

#12 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:36 PM

Hello Goku,
Thanks, it's a valuable feature and if not working an entire class of really nice urban scenery objects are useless, not to mention those miles of walls I've installed effortlessly, just like snapping track together!.

I have successfully placed and successfully tested w/RR ICHK test an A1tBuffer.s tracksection.

The test was okay but failed at first because it encountered empty RDB and RIT folders. This would crash MSTS and so it gets flagged as an error.
I respectfully suggest that you not generate these two folders on a 'Z' TDB save unless the folders exist when the route is opened in the Editor.
It causes problems for MSTS Sim and for the diagnostic test routines. IDK if it causes problems in OR.

Editing Track:
1. I note that the mousewheel will raise and lower a newly placed track section. This would be nice for editing terrain were it not for the fact that the track has to be saved to the TDB, 'F''d as it were http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/give_rose.gifinto the TDB.
I use track and roads a lot for sculpting terrain, NEVER saving the pieces I use as 'sculpting tools'.
( No rdb permitted in a route i'b building until last! The KISShttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/derisive.gif principle is in full bore run here )

I'd like to see terrain editing/sculpting using a track or road section as a tool BEFORE [emphasis added] the section is saved to any database. Flying the section around while holding the 'F' key would be a help.
However, while experimenting, I added a track section to the TDB and then proceeded to try what I described in my last sentence.
I used the mouse wheel moving the track straight up while holding the 'F' key.
I didn't get a symmetrical embankment as I thought I would.
It was late, 3:30 am and I am not sure of the embank/cutting settings. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/goodnight.gif ( i had been fooling with the settings earlier ) http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pleasantry.gif
I'll get back to testing today . . .albeit, very slowly with testing after every edit I make.

As for the road database thing, for the moment I'll just delete the 2 folders after an editing session. Not a big deal.

Last Question; And if this is in the manual direct me tyhere like you did before. Thanks.

++ How do I display and set the Properties for the A1tBuffer.s tracksection? There are several; Collide w/Obj, Buffer, ect.
I couldn’t find a way to do that.
Right now I'm making an attempt to get the entire manual printed so I can do some studying before any more editing.

regards,
vince

#13 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

Empty RDB and RIT works ok in MSTS, MSTS RE and new OR.
If you are annoyed because of RR errors - just place one road :)
If you don't like RDB, you can remove it in the future without any risk.

Using track sections for "sculpting terrain" is not possible because you need them in TDB.
In the future you will be able to use ruler object instead of track section. I think it will be much better.
Now you can use many terrain tools available. I think they are pretty nice.

Collide properties are not available yet.
See here: http://www.elvastowe...gs-explanation/

#14 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:27 PM

Good to have a reference as I'm learning the new editor . . .As last night I found out I could move a trackshape after I saved to the TDB , . . . . trashing the database.

Moving track that is in TDB won't crash database. You can always move it back, or just delete it and place new.

#15 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:54 PM

View PostGoku, on 07 December 2016 - 07:27 PM, said:

Moving track that is in TDB won't crash database. You can always move it back, or just delete it and place new.

When you say "move it back" do you need to get in 'exact' position? How close to original position.

+Can I select a track, pick it up and use it to, lets say level some terrain off to the side and then put the track back or close to it's original position? Then what, I press Z key? Or some other key to end with good tdb.
IOW, I ask procedure to pick up a section of track that is in the TDB, use it to level some terrain AWAY from the tracks position, and then return to position and what keys do I press?

It is obvious I have much to learn. The false crash was RR puking on the empty RDB. I have added a road, Road4LStrt100m.s laying across the tracks.
RR liked the add. Level Crossings? (no hurry just wondering)
I've printed out and placed in sleeves in a 3 ring binder.
Slow and easy. and sorry for all the questions.
Thanks!

regards,
vince

#16 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:47 AM

View Postvince, on 07 December 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

Hello Goku,
I'd like to see terrain editing/sculpting using a track or road section as a tool BEFORE [emphasis added] the section is saved to any database. Flying the section around while holding the 'F' key would be a help.
regards,
vince

I too use track or a road section to assist with terrain sculpting. For example, I lay a section of track that follows a river. Lower it to the level I want the water to be at - use the cutting tool to get the proper flat width of the water plus set the embankments at the proper angle. Then delete the track before saving. Still requires some hand terrain editing afterward, but when you've got miles of river paralleling track it's a fast way to get the basic terrain down where DEM doesn't have the granularity to properly sculpt the terrain.

chris

#17 User is online   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:20 AM

View Postvince, on 06 December 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

The TSUtlis suite was written a long time ago and so flags this wrong capitalization as an error.

A MSTS file header is a binary fingerprint, so the capitalization definitely matters.

View PostGoku, on 06 December 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

I also see that RR doesn't like my empty rdb files, but it is not my fault.

Maybe TSRE should not create 0-byte files, but instead a skeleton file, such as
SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0T0t______

TrackDB (
	Serial ( 0 )
)

if it doesn't already.

#18 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:37 AM

TSRE creates exactly this file you included.

#19 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:45 AM

View Postvince, on 07 December 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

THere is also an entire Class of objects that has been created called 'Snappers'. A large set of sections of urban buildings

Can you tell me name of snapable building I can find in your route?

#20 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

View PostGoku, on 08 December 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

Can you tell me name of snapable building I can find in your route?

Yes. Here is a shape oldoff.s
It is a model of an old office building I made snapable by setting up the SD files bounding box. The BB is what snaps together in MSTS.
I attach the shape oldoff.s & oldoff.SD file here as oldoff.zip

Also the default MSTS shape WireFence50m & WireFence10m are 'snapable' as delivered from Microsoft in the 2001 release of Train Simulator.

Attached File  oldoff.zip (3.62K)
Number of downloads: 8

Sometimes (fences, sidewalks) you can clone object using "C" + move it using "transform" button as alternative.

Is there a detailed writup on how the 'Transform' operates?

Last night I created a 9 tile route. Took all of 20 minutes to set up. Amazing! You have opened route building to a new generation of route builders. Bravo!
I thought it would be better if I 'practiced' with a small route would be less nerve wracking than experimenting with the LIRR.

regards,
vince

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users