• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Train weight indicated in HUD not accurate. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

I just confirmed that the overall train weight under Consist Information is not matching with the individual car weight when working on a train over 15 cars. This issue does not take place when the car count is less than 15 cars(This is my best guess). The individual car weight when added together, matches the total train weight. The problem does start when the car count is over a certain count.

I was able to determine that this is taking place on the MassKg side, before the conversion to whatever format will be displyed on the HUD.

If you run the default Dash9 consist that indicates having 20 cars, you will have 2 locomotives and 18 autoracks. According to what I noticed, the combined train weight in MassKg is 169800. If you add up the individual car weights in MassKg, I wound up with 1565600. As I indicated above, if I perform the same check on a smaller train, I get a match. I am going to have to guess its a precision issue.

Edward K.

#2 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:13 AM

MassKG is used quite a bit. One important area is friction. If MassKG is off, then its safe to say the physics will be off.

Edit: MassKg is defined in Train.cs and it seems to be used for the entire train. MassKg is used in the HUD for this piece of information. MassKG is defined in TrainCar.cs and is used for the individual car and this information is used in the HUD.

Edward K.

#3 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

I found out why. You can only have 20 items displayed on the HUD for the individual car weight. With this in mind, how about adding a display for the car weight minus the locomotives? I have read that the train crew is only interested in the weight they are pulling.

Edward K.

#4 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:38 PM

Because of the initial confusion and the current need to know how much tonnage is being pulled, I am including a screenshot showing the work. If everybody here likes this, along with James, this will be uploaded. I have a feeling this will require a blueprint.

Edit: All engines are left out of count. I am not sure if a locomotive that is not active/operational is part of the tonnage information, but its possible this information is already known.

Edward K.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Open Rails 2016-10-23 03-33-24.jpg

#5 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

That's great, Edward! Much needed enhancement. :bigboss:

#6 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

View Postedwardk, on 23 October 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

I found out why. You can only have 20 items displayed on the HUD for the individual car weight. With this in mind, how about adding a display for the car weight minus the locomotives? I have read that the train crew is only interested in the weight they are pulling.

Edward K.

Yes please, and also the total Brakeweight of the load (Cars) of the Consist.
The driver calculate with this informations the Brake-Ratio = Brakeforce/Pull-Load,
this is an information about the effectiveness of the Trainbrake
> 1 more effective Trainbrake
< 1 less effective Trainbrake

I doesn't know the relation between the Brake weight UIC
https://de.wikipedia...ki/Bremsgewicht
in Tonns (physically not correct)
and the line in the *.wag-file
MaxBrakeForce ( 130kN )
eugenR

#7 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:12 PM

This is nice modification... :sign_rockon:

#8 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:30 AM

View Postedwardk, on 23 October 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

Edit: All engines are left out of count. I am not sure if a locomotive that is not active/operational is part of the tonnage information, but its possible this information is already known.

Looks like a handy addition to the HUD.

My understanding is that if the locomotive is operational, then it is not part of the load, and hence should not be counted.

If it is dead attached, then it would be considered part of the load, and hence should be counted.

How does your modification handle steam locomotives? The tender is considered part of the locomotive, and hence should not be counted as part of the load.

#9 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:32 AM

As Eugen already mentioned, here in Europe, total weight is also used to verify the train has enough brake power.
Each vehicle on a train (engine, car, wagon) has a 'brake weight', that is the max. weight that can be handled by this brake.
The total sum of 'brake weight' on a train may not exceed the actual weight of that train. That total weight does include all engines - alive or dead.
Normally, if all engines and cars etc. have their brakes operational, there is no problem. But, if the consist includes, for instance, a dead engine with the brakes isolated, it is a different matter. Sometimes additional cars are added to the consist just to ensure enough 'brake weight' is available.
It would be interesting if, perhaps optionally, this information could be shown somewhere as well.

Just for info : below is the 'brake weight' table for a German diesel engine (former class 210), taken from a model engine.
As you can see, the brake weight for this engine when the brake selector is set to 'freight' is actually less then the engine weight itself.

Attached Image: LocoWeight.jpg

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#10 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:06 PM

Also for consistency of terminology, it would be good to use the title "Load" rather then "Tonnage" (which is a unit of measure). Load appears to be widely used in working timetables for many countries.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users