• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Maineline Progress The Progress of the Riverland mainline Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   bobbie 

• Fireman
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts
  • Simulator:Railworks/MSTS

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

Hi all, it has been some time, and i have been thinking a lot about how to do stuff. First of all, i wasn't really happy about the tracklayout. I mean, the bussiest part of the route is a single track line, while the least used bit was double trackage. I'm changing that at the moment, i'm making the tracks between Mapleton and New Holland Double trackage at the moment and the part between Hoods and Woodland has been transfered to a single track line, untill we reach Woodland itself, where it goes back into a doubletrack railroad again through Woodland itself.

Let's give my (current) vision on the part between Hoods and Woodland.

The part between Hoods and Woodland will have a lot (well, what is a lot?) of abandoned stops on his way. I kinda want to give the feeling that this part is a little bit of a fallen section of the Riverland Mainline. Less traffic (atleast passenger trains) and maybe a bit more of Freight services and shunting locations. (and also some fallen sidings, might look good i think.) This route still play's in the 60's and well, Railroads where crumbling around that time. I want to try to put this feeling into the route but i dunno if i can succeed into that, but i hope i can succeed in that just a tiny bit!

3rd Rail Mainline?

I'm also sort of falling in love with the Third Rail Railroads of Chicago and how they opperated their lines. So i'd like to add more Third Rail to the route, mailbe the whole mainline till Hoods and from there overhead wires to Woodland., but i'm not sure if i'm going to do that yet. There are still a couple of places where it needs to stay wired in the end. Millcreeck can't have a third rail on the street sections. (or is there someone evil enough to zap people on the streets? :diablo: ). Same goes for New Holland, although the Rr is on it's own trackage, not shared with the roads, it would be better to have Overhead wires there, just so we can use PCC car's to run to East Holland. This will prevent you to runn with PCC cars up to Millcreeck though.

Anyway, here are some new screenies:
Attached File  EVT1TS.jpg (588.14K)
Number of downloads: 23
If i'm going to replace the Wires for a Third rail, this is how the route will look, i don't think it looks too bad to be honest!

Attached File  EVT3TS.jpg (578.04K)
Number of downloads: 30
I completely reworked the bridge between Old Greenwood and Mapleton! I think this looks way better than the past one and is actualy inspired by another bridge of the Illinois Terminal Rr. I just need to find a fitting footpath section for it, and it's considered done!

Attached File  EVT2TS.jpg (578.56K)
Number of downloads: 26
As you can see, there are no switches to be found on the bridge, it's a sort- of Double track bridge, We havea special word for it in dutch, dunno how it's called in English, but i'll just put the dutch word in here: 'Strengelspoor' This saves the company 2 switches and therefor a big amound of mainentance costs! You can also see the differences between the new and the old Gantries on the route.

Attached File  EVT4TS.jpg (682.85K)
Number of downloads: 20
Last change is the small roadbridge in Old Greenwood. This looks way better than the old one and it's now double track of course!

That's it for today, Let me know what you think about the 3rd rail thingy. I kind of like it and i think that it will give this route an interresting way of operating, since we will have wires on different places. So let me know, give your opinion on it! IF you rather see it stay with an overhead Wire, tell me!

Cheers,
Bobbie

#2 User is offline   bobbie 

• Fireman
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts
  • Simulator:Railworks/MSTS

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:54 AM

Did some work in Greenwood today and couldn't resist to share this picture. Greenwood will most likely grow a little bit more along the river bed, but the start is there!

Attached File  EVT5TS.jpg (276.31K)
Number of downloads: 22
Local train to Mappleton just departed from Old Greenwood station, while a Express train from Woodland crosses the road to Greenwood, on it's way to New Holland.
Old Greenwood and Greenwood are basicly one place, but becouse the newer part of Greenwood was located on the other side of the river. People reffer to Greenwood on the other side and Old Greenwood on this side of the river.

#3 User is offline   D&RGW 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Run 8 Train Simulator

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:11 AM

Hey there! Beautiful work. It definitely brings to mind the densely forested regions of the eastern US. I think the English term you're looking for is gauntlet track. It looks like there were quite a few examples here in the US.

#4 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:13 AM

I agree superb work i am eager to see this route when and if it is ready. i am planning to start on my first RW route soon

chris :sign_thanks:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users