Elvas Tower: Turntables - Converting Static Ones into Working Ones? - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Turntables - Converting Static Ones into Working Ones? Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:06 PM

View Postjovet, on 18 July 2016 - 08:03 PM, said:

The number of frames is necessary because of the granularity of the movement. A turntable that is only capable of stopping at noon, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock wouldn't be very useful. OR turntables can stop in any of 3600 positions.

I understand that point jovet. But if a turntable only has 18 possible paths as the a1t27mturntable does, there are only 36 possible positions for it to stop in. The turntable already proceed to the next possible path when you release the activation keys. Therefore in my mind only 36 frames would be needed. Then the frame rate could be adjusted via a properties box in the RE similar to the way interactives are done now. Of course that would require more coding and collaboration with goku.

I was under the impression that the originally the 3600 frames were used, 1 frame every 0.1 degree, to counteract the fact that the axis of the turntable was not centered on the table and was actually off set to one end. If that assumption is in correct I withdraw my comments and will return quietly to my corner.

#32 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:33 PM

View Postjared2982, on 18 July 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:

I understand that point jovet. But if a turntable only has 18 possible paths as the a1t27mturntable does, there are only 36 possible positions for it to stop in. The turntable already proceed to the next possible path when you release the activation keys. Therefore in my mind only 36 frames would be needed. Then the frame rate could be adjusted via a properties box in the RE similar to the way interactives are done now.

There are larger turntable shapes that can accommodate more than just 18 paths. Plus, it's not where the turntable can start/stop with regard to mating with track paths, but where it can stop in general. Plus, a consistent number of frames ensures that the animation (frames per second) is consistent. I think it's fine.

#33 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:46 AM

I`ve uploaded a replacement model for the UKFS 68ft turntable, pending the release of an official UKFS item.
My link
There are some problems with the model, but I can`t really spend anymore time till after the family holiday.
If anyone can advise on faults please let me know!
In particular, with roundhouse style exits the loco can only enter some tracks : OR does not seem to accept all tracks as aligned. Maybe my cordinates in the turntable.dat are at fault.
Possibly the UKFS section idx paths in the tsection.dat don`t line up? My guess is they can never have been tested in a static model.
Anyway, you can turn a loco now, so hope my model is useful
rick

#34 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:22 AM

Hi All,

The thought of having an operating turntable is intriguing to say the least. While waiting for a file to be posted to trainsim to use for the activities for the completed Conn River route I've had time to tinker with a 1940s DAR route. I'm currently working on the Canadian National yard at Truro which includes a 30 stall roundhouse. The standard CN turntable is 92 Feet, or 28 meters. When building turntables I've been using bridge track, there is a 28.3m section that would be just over the 92 feet. Now, will using this work with the working turntable or not?

I guess what I'm asking is a step by step set of instructions on how to get a turntable to work in OR. I have no idea how to write code, but I have drawn several turntables from scratch. If this piece of track can be used can I go ahead and lay the turntable and complete the tracks around it, then come back later and "activate" it and do whatever else needs to be done to get the turntable bridge to get indexed and rotate with the track segment?

Paul :-)

#35 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

The bridge track will not work. You need an actual turntable track piece with all possible paths entered in the tsection.dat file. The A1t27mturntable is probably as close as you can get without creating your own.

#36 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:04 AM

Found it thanks... in an old thread answered by OTTO. :-)

Hi Jared,

OK, where would I find a texture for a turntable, they all fail to open.

Paul :-)

#37 User is offline   DRelyea 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

Hi,

If it were possible to get a plugin for Sketchup to write the Animation sequence correctly, I would dynamite some time to finish these up, and ask for Tsection entries.

Attached Image: DIRTT1.jpgAttached Image: DIRTT2.jpg

The TT with the tripod wire support was a DL&W turntable at Port Morris,NJ. The 30 meter one was needed at Warwick, NY for the L&HR Mountains, and the LV had one the size of the 35 meter out at the Lehighton end of the yard at Packerton, Pa.

I would need a plugin written to the Ruby Script of Sketchup 8. Needing to be done to the models at my end is developing the winter textures. I could also probably convince myself to do the artwork for the arched style of wire support.

Doug Relyea

#38 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:44 PM

I don't think you need a plugin, the animation can be done by hand, as has already been done and shown in this thread. Entries in the global tsection are not required in this case, just a change to the local tsection as shown in this thread.

#39 User is offline   DRelyea 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:30 PM

Hi,

These are new shapes, made in Sketchup8, and do not have a model hierarchy.

The reasons for the Global Tsection numbers are 1: 3 new length of bridges, namely 20_5meter, 30 meter and 35 meter, therefore the A1t27turntable track path definition will not work as the blue poles won't position properly.

2. The need for more than 15 or 18 track paths across the Turntable center. Seems those irritating Eastern US Anthracite railroads jammed as many tracks as they could around the pit, and still have posts between the stalls to hang the doors. To do that requires the aforementioned new track path definitions. The 30 meter model has a 30 track definition, the two 20_5 meter models currently have an 18 path definition within my personalized Global Tsection.dat.

3. I won't presume to replace the existing A1t27meter Turntable with either of mine, so those two would also require a Tsection number each, as well as a different track path definition for the extra paths.

The export plugin written by Decapod uses a slightly different naming convention within the Group structure portion of the .s file than is used in TSM and GMax models I've looked at.

Doug Relyea

#40 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 15 March 2022 - 02:59 AM

Can anyone tell me whether there is an operation version of the ukfs_tt_wag_12ft turntable available?

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users