• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best Settings For Smooth Running? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:19 PM

For the routes I've tried in OR they've all been 'stuttery' compared to how they run in MSTS. Some routes are pretty high poly/structure count. But even on lesser and default routes, they don't run as smooth visually as MSTS does. I'm on a Acer laptop, so may not have the best video card. But if MSTS runs fine, should OR be the same or even better? I'm not up on all the settings/options, nor use 'Multi Player' at all. Could someone point out or walk me through the best way to set up OR for optimum single player running?

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:29 PM

Best settings will, like MSTS, vary between computers. For a start, set the view distance to 2000 same as MSTS max, and turn off dynamic shadows and see how it runs.

#3 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:37 PM

Open Rails has a much more robust graphic rendering system than MSTS does, so it's definitely possible for OR to tax your system more than MSTS did.

Your performance is going to be a lot more dependent on the graphics adapter in the computer. What's under the hood of your laptop?

If I were in your shoes I would turn all of the graphics settings in OR down or off, starting with shadows. Then see about working upwards from there.

#4 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try that. What about Tools and/or Server/Client stuff? Is there any way to turn that 'off', as I probably won't be doing multi player, yet I'm on this wireless connection here. So am I being hooked up still? That's where I'm a real Luddite on yet. ;)

#5 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:21 PM

View PostNoisemaker, on 19 May 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

What about Tools and/or Server/Client stuff? Is there any way to turn that 'off', as I probably won't be doing multi player, yet I'm on this wireless connection here. So am I being hooked up still? That's where I'm a real Luddite on yet.

There's nothing to turn off. The "Tools" is just a menu to launch external helper programs. The game is stand-alone (just like MSTS) unless you explicitly start it in Client or Server mode.

#6 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:57 PM

Of late, i am also experiencing this type of stutters and the confusing thing is that it occurs on any fixed camera view only, for e.g. sometimes stutter occurs only in 2 external view. This is on route which is not by any means high detailed. Opening the Performance debug HUD, the culprit seems to be frametime as there are spikes in there.

#7 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:01 AM

If it's of any help, here my PC spec's from the OR report...

BIOS = InsydeH2O Version 03.60.52V1.03 (Insyde Corp.)
Processor = Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz (4 threads, 2 cores, 2.4 GHz) (L3 Cache 3072 KB) (L1 Cache 64 KB) (L2 Cache 512 KB) (L1 Cache 64 KB)
Memory = 5.7 GB
Video = Intel® HD Graphics (2.7 GB RAM) (igdkmd64 8.15.10.2372)
Display = \\.\DISPLAY1 (1600 x 900, 32-bit, primary, 0 x 0)
Sound = Realtek High Definition Audio (rtkvhd64 6.0.1.6392)
Sound = USB Audio Device (usbaudio 6.1.7601.18208)
Sound = Intel® Display Audio (intcdaud 6.14.0.3074)
Disk = C: (Local Fixed Disk, NTFS, 683.5 GB, 510.9 GB free)
Disk = D: (CD-ROM Disc, )
Disk = Q: (Local Fixed Disk, )
OS = Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1.7601)
Runtimes = 2.0.50727 SP2 3.0 SP2 3.5 SP1 4 Client 4 Full 4.0 Client
Runtime = 2.0.50727.5485 (32bit)

So as far as I know, everything is up to date Windows and driver wise. It's a pretty good little Acer, but not 'top of the line' by any means. Is there maybe something I can do with the cache sizes, display or video RAM limit to make OR better - without sacrificing my other programs appearance and running?

#8 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

Video = Intel® HD Graphics (2.7 GB RAM) (igdkmd64 8.15.10.2372)
There's your bottle neck. Imbedded Intel graphics just don't have the umph to handle graphics intensive programs.
Sorry.

Steve

#9 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:28 PM

steved points out my original suspicions as well. You can't get blood from a turnip.

You still might whip out Task Manager (or even better, go get Process Explorer) and see what kinds of CPU usage goes on when you're not doing anything with your computer. I'm also assuming you restart your laptop regularly (not hibernate—restart).

#10 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, I kinda figured the graphic card may not be the best. And no way to get a driver or something to beef it up? I know with sound stuff I was doing, an ASIO driver reduced latency to like 0.3ms. But nothing like that for video I guess? And yes, I always shut down my lappy when not in use, and start fresh from Power On when I return.

What kind of video spec's should I be looking for if I were to buy a new lappy or tower? What's the 'equitably nice' parameters to have without forking out a lot of money?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users