• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problem with steam locomotive wheelslip Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:27 PM

Kazareh, on 02 May 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

All my steamers seem to react like that, except the PRR T1. It doesn't slip at ALL, ironically.

Can you provide a link to a freeware locomotive that you are experiencing a problem with?

Can you describe the steps that you follow to experience the problem?

#12 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:27 AM

steamer_ctn, on 02 May 2016 - 11:27 PM, said:

Can you provide a link to a freeware locomotive that you are experiencing a problem with?

Can you describe the steps that you follow to experience the problem?

The locomotives I have tried are the SP GS-2 and GS-6's here on eT, along with the PRR T1, http://www.trainsim....right&fid=27874 that version of SP 4449, and a custom physics version I did of the Milwaukee F7 Hiawatha Hudson which I have attached.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  A7MIL.eng (28.21K)
    Number of downloads: 203

#13 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:32 AM

This section of your A7MIL eng file

ORTSEvaporationArea ( "4166*(ft^2)")
ORTSSuperheatArea ( "1695*(ft^2)")
ORTSGrateArea ( "96.50*(ft^2)" )
ORTSFuelCalorific ( 13700btu/lb )
SteamFiremanIsMechanicalStoker ( 1 )
NumCylinders ( 2)
CylinderStroke ( 30in )
CylinderDiameter ( 23.5in )
ORTSBearingType ( Roller )
ORTSDriveWheelWeight ( 108t )

with the exception of the bearing type, belongs in the engine section of the file, not the wagon section.

#14 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:25 PM

Kazareh, on 03 May 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

The locomotives I have tried are the SP GS-2 and GS-6's here on eT, along with the PRR T1, http://www.trainsim....right&fid=27874 that version of SP 4449, and a custom physics version I did of the Milwaukee F7 Hiawatha Hudson which I have attached.

Thanks for the further information, I can now see the issue with the wheel animation when the locomotive goes into slip mode. I will need to review the code used to calculate wheel speed, and hopefully I will apply a patch next week sometime to improve upon the slip animation.

One other thing to be aware of in your ENG file is the wheel radius values. These values will also impact upon the speed of rotation of the wheels.

When setting these values the following conventions should be observed:
i) Drive Wheels - WheelRadius value in the ENGINE section of the ENG file.
ii) Non-driven Wheels - WheelRadius value in the WAGON section of the ENG file.

#15 User is offline   SteveSSW819 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

I don't know if this is the right thread or not. But I have noticed the drive wheels on the steam engines move faster than the rest of the wheels on the locomotive. Stock Cotton Belt 819 and both Stock Grand Canyon Steam engines off Train Sim.

#16 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:13 PM

#3543 has be added with updated wheel animation code, so the wheel animation should reflect a slip condition.

For those interested in looking at wheel slip in real life try googling "blue peter wheel slip", as this will show a famous incident that occurred in 1994 with preserved locomotive Blue Peter.

SteveSSW819, on 13 May 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

I don't know if this is the right thread or not. But I have noticed the drive wheels on the steam engines move faster than the rest of the wheels on the locomotive. Stock Cotton Belt 819 and both Stock Grand Canyon Steam engines off Train Sim.

Can you provide more detail? What version? Is this during a wheel slip instance? Are the wheel radii correct in the ENG file?

Thanks

#17 User is offline   SteveSSW819 

• Hostler

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:54 PM

steamer_ctn, on 14 May 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

#3543 has be added with updated wheel animation code, so the wheel animation should reflect a slip condition.

For those interested in looking at wheel slip in real life try googling "blue peter wheel slip", as this will show a famous incident that occurred in 1994 with preserved locomotive Blue Peter.

Can you provide more detail? What version? Is this during a wheel slip instance? Are the wheel radii correct in the ENG file?

Thanks

Everything is stock. It started i believe 3 updates ago? I am not sure I been pretty busy with the real thing lately. is the wheel radius something you guys just added lately? even coasting the driver wheels turn faster than the other wheels. The newest update.

#18 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:58 AM

Looking at the SSW819 eng file, the wag and eng section wheel radius figures are the same, 0.889m which is just under 3 feet. This is correct for the drivers, but not the others. It is the radius in the wag section that needs to be made smaller, try 0.3m as a starting point.

#19 User is offline   SteveSSW819 

• Hostler

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:29 PM

Thank you very much Copperpen! I guess I need to pay attention to the updates log lol

#20 User is offline   Brace_2011 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:11 AM

I am using X3551. Wheelslip is a welcome addition to OR, and I guess it is still a work in progress, so I am not criticising. However, I believe I have noticed a couple of problems with it.

The wheelslip function seems to work pretty well in most circumstances as long as 'Advanced adhesion' is selected. However, if 'Advanced adhesion' is not selected, it looks (visually) as though the driving wheel rotation speed is too high, even if the wheels are not slipping.

I have also noticed that with 'Advanced adhesion' selected, the driving wheels spin massively from standstill in 'Autopilot' mode, taking a long time to 'settle down'. This doesn't happen without 'Advanced adhesion'. I wonder if the wheelslip function can be suppressed in 'Autopilot'.

Martin

PS. as far as I have been able to tell, these problems don't occur with AI loco's

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users