• You cannot reply to this topic

Advanced adhesion and wheelslip Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   sim-al2 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:46 PM

View PostATW, on 17 June 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

I like this new addition as your test unit is using about %82 of it's weight for the drive wheel weight. But if all the axles were powered it would maybe be about %92?

How is Drive Wheel Weight really calculated vs max Tractive Effort vs number of Axles?

If all axles are powered, it would be 100%. I'm not sure of how it'll will be implemented with regards to the steam model, but max tractive effort can be simply calculated as:

(weight on driven wheels)*(adhesion avaliable)

#22 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:35 PM

Thanks!

So far I am experimenting various units drive wheel weight with a units Tons + Max TE Tons.

Comes with good results but there will always be a limit in adhesion during rain or snow conditions where sand will be needed. I am primarily trying to get max TE on some units to be %100 Axle Out Force on dry rail... but only way is treating units as if they were a Magleve/Monorail with no num wheels value. I would think parameters for units to have their own Adhesion Factor's like in the options would help as some units can be random changing regardless of changing conditions as you do in real life experience some units vibrate either the speed or TE.

#23 User is offline   istvanek 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:11 AM

I was just thinking about another Advanced Adhesion Traction Control feature. Would it be possible to add simply traction controler for .eng file (ie. ORTSTractionControl ("% value of Advanced Adhesion Wheel Slip") )?
This controler would limit max traction effort for every powered unit to the value which would not exceed adhesion forces calculated for that unit with given wheel slip %. This would model in a simply way modern locomotive traction control system.
I know that currently there are some problems with Advanced Adhesion model but in my opinion this solution would not need to change anything in a AA model itself. It would just limit locomotive max traction effort to calculated value as modern locomotives traction control feature do.

After some experiments with custom Curtius-Kniffler values for modern locomotives I have discovered that driving a train with two (or more) powerfull locomotives coupled (with different adhesion values) in a 'snowing' condition is amost impossible without automatic traction control feature. You have too much tractive effort in one unit with both traction effort and wheel slip % changing constantly and you are not able to control wheel slip at all, especially running up the grade. It is getting worse when you try to run heavy train with different locomotives which have different Curtius Kniffler values. :)

#24 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:26 PM

With #3613 an Antislip feature has been added to the advanced adhesion option whereby whenever a wheelslip warning occurs the throttle will be limited to a setting just below the warning threshold (which is currently set @ 70%). This prevents the locomotive going into slip when attempting to apply a "full throttle".

To enable this feature the following parameter needs to be set in the ENG file:

AntiSlip (1)

Within the code already there was a function which caused the throttle to be set to zero if the locomotive went into wheel slip mode.

This function can be enabled by adding the following parameter within the engine section of the ENG file:

ORTS (
	ORTSWheelSlipCausesThrottleDown ( 1 )
        	)

Thus a two tier "slip protection" now exists for diesel and electric locomotives.

#25 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:45 PM

AntiSlip (1)

In the engine or wagon part?

#26 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:56 PM

View Postengmod, on 24 August 2016 - 11:45 PM, said:

AntiSlip (1)

In the engine or wagon part?

Engine section

#27 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

Nice work!

1 Suggestion though is if it's possible for the traction power to be reduced to the slippage % instead an not the throttle notches? It's strange while using raildriver the throttle feels like it's an auto pilot throttle jockey vibrating.

#28 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:19 AM

View PostATW, on 25 August 2016 - 04:08 PM, said:

Nice work!

1 Suggestion though is if it's possible for the traction power to be reduced to the slippage % instead an not the throttle notches? It's strange while using raildriver the throttle feels like it's an auto pilot throttle jockey vibrating.

What you suggest maybe the more elegant solution, however from a coding perspective the solution introduced was simpler, and required less change. I am not exactly sure whether anti slip is handled like this or differently in the real world.

#29 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:01 PM

Question about the 'AntiSlip' parameter. If the lead engine does not slip but the rear/helper engines do slip, will this feature still work?

Thanks

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users