Elvas Tower: Braking - Wheel Skid - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Braking - Wheel Skid Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:35 PM

Ok cool. Maybe slipping it in with the same wheel animation from locomotives but to un powered WAG?

#32 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

Bug: reversed wagons have negative braking friction, which rises as the speed falls, and so the braking force disappears completely.

#33 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

Any chance of addressing real buff and draft forces? It would add run-in effects with braking (which could cause skidding and possibly jack-knifing and/or string-lining cars). It would also lay the groundwork for a new multi-player feature: different people tying to manage a train w/ helpers.

This will probably require a lot more research, so I suspect, to quote Star wars, that it is probably in a a galaxy far far away.

My gut tells me it shouldn't be that hard to try out but the implications of having it as a feature are hard to tell.

Basically a solution would involve identifying subsets of a train where each set is composed of those cars that have an adjacent car in a full draft or full buff relationship. "Full" could mean 100% to either end of the draft gear movement... or for practical purposes, maybe a bit less. The sets, having no slack within should move as a solid unit WRT the train. The relationship between sets represent what is called a node. A train going up or down a grade will soon reach a state where it has no nodes (absent helpers) and so is represented by one set. To create a node one has to change the power output so the acceleration (or deceleration) causes as change of state at some coupler pair. The location of a node or nodes will change depending on both train handling, terrain, and the presence or absence of helpers.

As for what the feature might do... seems likely to change train handling behavior on long trains, especially when they start; It could be an enabler for a train surge against the locomotive on a big run-in; Plausibly it should dynamically change the load the locomotive is pulling; A big run-in on some empty cars could cause a jackknife; Last, it doesn't appear to me that the total length of our trains vary as they should and so perhaps this might help address that too.

#34 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:27 PM

I agree with Dave.

I feel it won't be so hard as the current run out coupler Break code can be used as template but in opposite force triggers being bunched instead of stretched. If bunched break coupler forces can't use a part of the coupler settings "Break( 2nd space value)" there is always those 2 MSTS parameters that can be the trigger limits to code an target.

They come of no known use in ORTS yet but are present in almost every file:

DerailRailForce ( 2.5N/kg*23t )<---Implement to use for how much ton force opposing cars are against where coupling speed limits from derailing may be of no use like MSTS default.wag but by run in mass an speed is against opposing cars bunch forces an limits.

DerailBufferForce ( 900kN )<-------Implement to use for bunched run-in coupler/hose Break push limit disciplines.

#35 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:42 PM

Back in the v. 0.9 era, the F5 HUD in the X builds would display slack as 0-100% for the train, and state "bunched" at 0 and "stretched" at 100. That seems to have vanished at 1.0 & later, and I'm not sure how (if it's even possible) to get it back. If that code is still around somewhere, it might be used for what Dave's asking for.

#36 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:00 PM

View Postdisc, on 28 April 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

Bug: reversed wagons have negative braking friction, which rises as the speed falls, and so the braking force disappears completely.

Thanks for flagging this bug - Fixed in #3535.

Interestingly I have always had some concerns about flipped cars, and how their forces are being calculated.

The attached screenshot shows a train sitting on a downward facing 1 in 25 slope.

Note the Gravity forces and gradient values.

Is this purely for display purposes, or actually it is as being applied within OR? This probably needs to be checked at some time.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: brake.jpg

#37 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:04 PM

If the gravity force were computed with an incorrect sign for flipped wagons, they would run upwards if left alone unbraked on a slope. This occurred some time ago, but it does not occur since much time. So the computation is correct. The forces as shown in the HUD are considered in the direction of the wagon. So, if a wagon is flipped and it has a negative force, this force pushes the wagon in the direction of the train, as in the case of the above screenshot.

#38 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:33 AM

Hi Carlo,

View PostCsantucci, on 28 April 2016 - 11:04 PM, said:

If the gravity force were computed with an incorrect sign for flipped wagons, they would run upwards if left alone unbraked on a slope. This occurred some time ago, but it does not occur since much time. So the computation is correct. The forces as shown in the HUD are considered in the direction of the wagon. So, if a wagon is flipped and it has a negative force, this force pushes the wagon in the direction of the train, as in the case of the above screenshot.

Thanks for clarifying the accuracy of the calculations.

In that case, I personally think that the HUD display is confusing.

#39 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:52 AM

I can agree. Changing it fully and correctly is not so easy however.

#40 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:39 AM

After testing my EMU in explore mode using the friction curves, i am very happy with the prototypical braking performance.

However, when using the same EMU in activity mode. The braking friction does not work and behaves as option one with advance adhesion unticked.

I'm using option 3 iii)

Advanced Adhesion selected and additional user friction data HAS been defined in WAG file - OR applies the user defined friction/speed curve.

Any ideals?

Edit
Also applies to option 2!

Thanks

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users