• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Installation instructions valid? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sven 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Aerosoft

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:47 AM

My OR v 1.1 appears to be somewhat unstable. Suddenly, for some previous well functioning add-ons, the OR will not start at all. Finally I read the instructions in the manual. OK, I do not have microsoft.net framework v 3.5 SP 1. So I downloaded this, but the .exe file won't start. Microsoft claims this program is only compatible with W Vista, XP and something else, but not Windows 7 or 8 (am running W 8.1). Maybe that is why it will not install.
So, OR is designed for amongst others Windows 8. The manual say it need this .net frame work to run, with a version number not compatible with my computer platform.
Seems to be a catch 22 situation. Anybody has some wise comments on this?
Regards

Sven

#2 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:58 AM

I am using Windows 10 and both stable 1.1 versions and various testing version runs correctly.... I also don't recall to have 3.5 SP1 installed on Windows 10, but I will check it.... :)

#3 User is offline   Lutz_s 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:08 AM

Hi Sven,

The .net 3.5 framework is part of Windows 7/8/10, but it isn't activated from the beginning. To do so you have to go into the control panels software dialog. There should be function "activate Windows Features" or something similar. I can only guess how it's named, because I have a german Windows version. In this dialog you should be able to activate .net 3.5.

Cheers Lutz

#4 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:17 AM

View PostSven, on 10 April 2016 - 04:47 AM, said:

My OR v 1.1 appears to be somewhat unstable. Suddenly, for some previous well functioning add-ons, the OR will not start at all. Finally I read the instructions in the manual. OK, I do not have microsoft.net framework v 3.5 SP 1. So I downloaded this, but the .exe file won't start. Microsoft claims this program is only compatible with W Vista, XP and something else, but not Windows 7 or 8 (am running W 8.1). Maybe that is why it will not install.
So, OR is designed for amongst others Windows 8. The manual say it need this .net frame work to run, with a version number not compatible with my computer platform.
Seems to be a catch 22 situation. Anybody has some wise comments on this?

When you run "OpenRails.exe" it checks for things like .NET 3.5 SP1 and XNA 3.1 and will alert you if you do not have something. If you are not being alerted (it would not open the menu), you have everything and do not need to do anything.

I do not believe your OR is "unstable", you're simply having compatibility issues with some content. Please report any issue you have loading content in 1.1 as you would do any other issue; unreported problems cannot be fixed.

#5 User is offline   Sven 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:Aerosoft

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:05 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 10 April 2016 - 07:17 AM, said:

When you run "OpenRails.exe" it checks for things like .NET 3.5 SP1 and XNA 3.1 and will alert you if you do not have something. If you are not being alerted (it would not open the menu), you have everything and do not need to do anything.

I do not believe your OR is "unstable", you're simply having compatibility issues with some content. Please report any issue you have loading content in 1.1 as you would do any other issue; unreported problems cannot be fixed.

I think your are right. Anyhow, I found the .net program and fixed it. Anyhow, an american add-on has been running smoothly for a while, and all of a sudden it complains about "System.IO.InvalidDataException: Track node could not be found in the track database." and a lot more, see attached log file.

I'm not sure but I have a feeling as this was working OK when I stuck to these american add-ons. But when I in between ran some European add-ons, from protrain and simtrain.ch, I got problems, like the one above, and with floating rails, houses etc. Could there be an incompatibility problem here? Americans do not use comma and decimals in their programming as we do in Europe.

Regards

Attached File(s)

#6 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:30 PM

View PostSven, on 10 April 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

I think your are right. Anyhow, I found the .net program and fixed it. Anyhow, an american add-on has been running smoothly for a while, and all of a sudden it complains about "System.IO.InvalidDataException: Track node could not be found in the track database." and a lot more, see attached log file.

I'm not sure but I have a feeling as this was working OK when I stuck to these american add-ons. But when I in between ran some European add-ons, from protrain and simtrain.ch, I got problems, like the one above, and with floating rails, houses etc. Could there be an incompatibility problem here? Americans do not use comma and decimals in their programming as we do in Europe.

The log file messages strongly suggest that you've got an old/out of date global tsection.dat file. I recently had this problem with a route installer overwriting it with an older version, but the fix is simple: download the latest tsection.dat and install that.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users