• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Updating does not work Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sven 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Aerosoft

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

I got an update notification on the OR screen (main menu screen where you can choose between different installed add-ons). It said in clickable blue that update was available. I chose to update. After that the usual shortcut for openrails.exe was for some reason moved, and I cannot find it. It said something strange about updater.exe, that it did not work. In the OR folder was a new folder named "updater dirty". Sounds suspicious.
What has happened?
What should I do. Install the version 1.1? Uninstall something? Virus in the OR programme?

Regards

Sven

#2 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:12 PM

updater dirty just means that the update was incomplete - nothing suspicious. Easiest way is to download v1.1 from scratch and let it overwrite existing files.

#3 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:16 AM

View PostSven, on 29 March 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

I got an update notification on the OR screen (main menu screen where you can choose between different installed add-ons). It said in clickable blue that update was available. I chose to update. After that the usual shortcut for openrails.exe was for some reason moved, and I cannot find it. It said something strange about updater.exe, that it did not work.

After you clicked the blue link, what exactly happened? You should have seen a UAC prompt (if Windows Vista or later and installed to Program Files), followed by the "Open Rails Updater" progress bar. If it fails, it normally gives you an error message. What was that?

View PostSven, on 29 March 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

In the OR folder was a new folder named "updater dirty". Sounds suspicious.
What has happened?
What should I do. Install the version 1.1? Uninstall something? Virus in the OR programme?

The updater starts by putting the new version in "UpdaterStage", then moving the old version in to "UpdaterDirty", and finally moves the new version from "UpdaterStage" and in to the main folder. Seeing either or both of these folders just means it is/was in the middle of updating. You can likely recover it manually by copying one (but not both!) in to the main folder, but downloading the installer directly is good too.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users