• You cannot reply to this topic

V. 1.1 won't download? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

Mike B, on 28 March 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

Yes, FF download runs in background too, but only if the main window is open. Quitting the FF main window stops the download, and restarting it means starting from scratch.

I was thinking this is a feature FF implemented a while ago, but I think instead I'm thinking of a plug-in I use that does this.

Mike B, on 28 March 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

Yes, there are times when I don't get much better than dialup speed from UVerse. Speedtests even to AT&T servers frequently show download speeds of less than 1.5 megabits/sec, even though I pay for a theoretical 6.

I do not know how much you're paying for that, but it seems to me you're getting ripped off. If you're stuck with a crummy and over-saturated ISP, I feel for you.

The actual download speeds you're going to get depend on several factors, of course, but it's my (professional) opinion that download managers are 99% unnecessary. If an internet connection is too flaky to download common files then you're not getting what you're paying for or your computer or internet connection is not configured correctly. Downloading multi-gigabyte files could be another matter, but most people are not downloading gigantic files very often.

#12 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:15 PM

Yes, I'm getting ripped off, but the only alternative to AT&T UVerse (used to have DSL but they simply turned that off one day and forced me to change) in my area is Comcast, whose "bare-bones" service is a tad faster (unless one wants to pay a LOT more, in which case it's a lot faster) but has even worse customer service ("servicing the customer" is similar in concept to the meaning in animal husbandry :o ). No chance of Google anytime soon. Unfortunately, that's the situation a lot of us in the U.S. are in for Internet access: no real competition, and high prices. And no, I don't have the TV "bundle" and don't want it, which results in constant upselling. Oh well ...

On Sunday mornings, I do get 6 mbps. In fact, sometimes over 7. So the actual capacity to do it is there, if the traffic is light. It's just that, as with neighborhood Comcast at "peak hour," if other people are also using the network it slows down drastically.

Now if trainsim and Elvas were to move to https, I might feel safer about going over to Starbucks with the laptop for downloads. Somehow, they can have gigabit from Google even though the retail market can't.

#13 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:30 AM

Why is the manual, if downloaded from "Learn|Manual and Tutorials" called "OpenRails-Testing-Manual.pdf"?

#14 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:16 AM

dforrest, on 01 April 2016 - 02:30 AM, said:

Why is the manual, if downloaded from "Learn|Manual and Tutorials" called "OpenRails-Testing-Manual.pdf"?

Because it's the manual from the current Testing Version. (OpenRails-Testing.zip, OpenRails-Testing-Source.zip, etc.)

#15 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:20 AM

James Ross, on 01 April 2016 - 04:16 AM, said:

Because it's the manual from the current Testing Version. (OpenRails-Testing.zip, OpenRails-Testing-Source.zip, etc.)

BTW, I've never had a problem downloading the manual. It works no matter what download method I use. But of course it's small enough that a download manager isn't really needed. And yes, I did get 1.1 the plain FF way and install it - works nicely.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users