• You cannot reply to this topic

Surfliner 2 Retexturing Giving a favorite route a new look Rate Topic: -----

#321 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

View Posthiball3985, on 14 July 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

So many members at the different forums have gone missing over the last few years, makes you wonder how many are in straight jackets :rotfl:

Or worse! And I thought my 500+ terrtex files was a lot! Order me up a large straight jacket please!

#322 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:19 AM

View Posthiball3985, on 10 July 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

Having every little detail, rock, weed, empty beer can, on a route would be ideal, but then there is reality, at some point you have to call it good and done or your grand kids would still be working on it after you are long gone :rotfl: Jeff realized that on the first version and I'm sure with the amount of countless hours Paul has spent upgrading. I'm really happy with the way it is..

This statement couldn't be more true, Jim! I've been finding myself thinking about it quite a lot lately.

I'm sure most of you already realize it, but MSTS routes are very much like their model railroading counterparts in that they're never finished. There's always something that needs improving, correcting, tweaking, etc. Specifically for the Surfliner, with every run I make on it I discover yet another floating bush that needs planting, yet another detail I can add, yet another item that needs fixing, etc, etc, etc. It's a vicious cycle that both MSTS and my willpower can only handle for so long before they tap out. Obviously, a "perfect" route doesn't and can't ever exist (not with MSTS, or with any other simulator in general).

Unfortunately, there's no bigger critic of my own work than myself, and it's often hard for me to quit and accept the fact that flaws will always be present (and may not necessarily take away from the overall experience). Indeed, this is an issue I really struggle with in real life as well (ask my wife about my home improvement projects and you'll hear the same story!)

Therefore, I'm symbolically "cutting myself off" from making any further changed/tweaks/fixes to the route (at least before this release). The route is what it is now, and even with the remaining "flaws," I do believe it has improved overall, so no point in delaying others' enjoyment of it for the sake of my own nitpickiness.

I'll put my soapbox away now and get to work with releasing this thing! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/bigboss.gif

#323 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:34 AM

View Postpaulytechnic, on 17 July 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

Unfortunately, there's no bigger critic of my own work than myself, and it's often hard for me to quit and accept the fact that flaws will always be present (and may not necessarily take away from the overall experience).

They don't have to be always present - just always present for this iteration! As you said, routes are never really finished despite having to wrap it up and put a bow on it at some point. So, maybe at some point in the future you might consider another release to address more tweaks you think are important. Or maybe not; but just keeping that option open in your mind might help rest your soul (speaking form experience). It seems to me the hard part (all that Mosaic) is done, and I think you and Jeff should be very proud of your great service to an already-great route.
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif

#324 User is offline   lateagain 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:57 AM

With regards to floating trees Paul......

If they REALLY get up the downloaders nose ....what better reason but to delve into the RE and fix them themselves? Pretty basic RE stuff but........ After a few initial attempts at that the "critics" might be chastened? :lol2: :ermm:

Thanks again for this excellent looking update. Can't wait to give it a run. :sign_thanks:

#325 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif

I actually got a bit of a chuckle just now while digging around my old messages. Exactly 2 years ago today, I was writing with Chris Gerlach about the handful of texture updates I had already done on the route at that point. Below is part of what I wrote:

paulytechnic, on 17 July 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

My ultimate dream would be to redo the terrtex on the route with smoother transitions, but alas, I don't have Mosaic, the expertise, or the time to accomplish such a grand feat at the moment. But for now, even with some of the abrupt transitions, I think the terrtex the route came with will still work just fine.

My, my, my...how things have changed! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

#326 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Paul, Maybe you could make the LA metro rail trolley cars and just release the cars and the associated world files as a seperate quick update? That would be a faster way to get LA metro cars in the LA trolley yard.

You did a fantastic job with the LA subway cars even know for some dang reason they do not show up when I try to select one of them in the RE for additional placement in the rail yard? All I get is a subway car outline on the terrain but the model does not show up as it should. I believe this could be a exporting error from GSU?

Robert

#327 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:11 AM

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 18 July 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Paul, Maybe you could make the LA metro rail trolley cars and just release the cars and the associated world files as a seperate quick update? That would be a faster way to get LA metro cars in the LA trolley yard.

This route is already packaged, zipped, and shrink-wrapped, so the way it is now won't change before it hits the shelves. However, I'd also rather not release a single update/patch for such a minimal addition. If that were done with every little update, we'd be swimming in a multitude of patches that would be hard to keep straight. Others have done so in the past, and it tends to prompt confusion.

No, unless something is seriously broken in the route, preventing it from even running as it previously had, any subsequent "fixes" would need to wait for a cumulative update...if one is done later (not saying that it won't be, but I'm also not committing to one right now, either).

That said, even if a later update was done, there are a couple of considerations with adding the Metro Gold Line trolleys:

Once again, the object counts on the LA-area tiles are already fairly high, and I'd rather not push my luck. I only committed to replacing the Red Line cars since they were already there, so there was no risk of increasing the count. Granted, the Gold Line yard is relatively smaller (only 4-5 tracks), so it probably wouldn't take much to add them (even by the end-user), but that leads us to the next issue...

There are no appropriate Siemens P2000 models already out there (or anything close that I know of), and I'd rather just have an empty yard (pretending the cars all are out in service), than to throw something sloppy or inaccurate there, just for the sake of filling space. Personally, I find that modeling and texturing rolling-stock is much more challenging than buildings, and I don't particularly feel up the that particular challenge at the moment (especially for something used only a small handful of times). The Red Line cars already took longer to build than I had wanted (I'm not the most experienced modeler, so it takes me much longer to build something that others could throw together in much less time).

You previously mentioned the idea of repainting the San Diego trolley. 3DTrains has graciously allowed me to use their payware model in this freeware route--something that is generally unheard-of. I'd rather not push them further, nor set a precedence of altering models that are not even available to the community. (Plus the fact that a U2 doesn't really look like a P2000.)

Most importantly, I've been staring at the ground of this route for the past few years... I'd like to run some trains on it now for a change!

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 18 July 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

You did a fantastic job with the LA subway cars even know for some dang reason they do not show up when I try to select one of them in the RE for additional placement in the rail yard? All I get is a subway car outline on the terrain but the model does not show up as it should. I believe this could be a exporting error from GSU?

Hmm, that's odd. I'm not sure what to tell you, since they all appear fine in my RE. Just for kicks, I just now did a quick copy of some of the cars, and had no problem sloppily pasting in a few dozen copies...
Attached Image: RE_LASubway.jpg

The only thing I can think of is that the high-mast luminaries in that yard have a transparent/invisible cone (for the light pool at night) that may be throwing-off the visibility of the car when pasting from certain angles? Or maybe memory is running low? I've not had any issues, so I'm at a loss for what's causing your problem. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think the models are responsible, or else I wouldn't have been able to place them in the RE in the first place. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/unknw.gif

#328 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:25 AM

Most importantly, I've been staring at the ground of this route for the past few years... I'd like to run some trains on it now for a change!

Oh, you'll be back in the RE soon! (Bwaha-ha-ha :wacko: )...no, I really do understand your point. Take a break and enjoy the fantastic fruits of your intense labors! :thumbup3:

#329 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:08 AM

Paul, I might be running low on memory. I've only got 3Gigs of ram. I need to take it out to the max of 4Gigs and get a better graphics card. I am also thinking of a new CPU. Specifically a quad core.

Tim, I think Paul will be back to work in the RE eventually. Goku's new route editor makes texturing under and around buildings so much easier and faster than using Mosaic. I believe with time Goku will also add and expand on his terrain painting abilities in TSRE5.

Robert

#330 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:36 PM

I agree Paul, put it on the shelf. You can't beat the price tag for such a well done route. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into it..

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users