Problem with latest AMD driver Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ETR500n30FR 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:02 PM

Hi to all,
This is my first message :)

I have a problem with the last AMD Driver Update: with the latest driver update AMD, OR does not start.
In order to play with OR, I use the driver of 5/07/2015, because with the next update, OR does not start.
Some advice? How can I do?
I have an i7 processor, AMD R255 video card and operating system W10.

Thank you,

Edoardo

This is the link: http://support.amd.c...Windows+10+-+64

This post has been edited by ETR500n30FR: 18 December 2015 - 01:08 PM

#2 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

There is nothing at all wrong with running an older version of a driver. I personally only update an operating system (including drivers) ____IF____ the update actually fixes a problem I have encountered. My normal OS is Linux Debian, for Openrails I run WindowsXP SP3 works quite OK. Note, Windows does ______NOT______ have access to the internet, its ONLY used for Openrails, Even MSTS's editor and tools are run under Linux using wine.

Also AMD is known t have two slightly different drivers in there development tree, these usually appear on alternate releases, so one might see how the next update performs.

Lindsay

#3 User is offline   ETR500n30FR 

• Apprentice

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:00 AM

Hi,
this is file log with "AMD Crash":

Spoiler

Thank you!

Edoardo

#4 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:56 AM

View PostLindsayts, on 20 December 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

There is nothing at all wrong with running an older version of a driver. I personally only update an operating system (including drivers) ____IF____ the update actually fixes a problem I have encountered. My normal OS is Linux Debian, for Openrails I run WindowsXP SP3 works quite OK. Note, Windows does ______NOT______ have access to the internet, its ONLY used for Openrails, Even MSTS's editor and tools are run under Linux using wine.

Also AMD is known t have two slightly different drivers in there development tree, these usually appear on alternate releases, so one might see how the next update performs.

Lindsay

You are correct regarding the drivers, except that in Win10 if MS has a newer driver from Intel or NV or AMD they will automatically install it as part of one of their (seems to be 2-3 times a month) Win10 cumulative updates. Then, you have to downgrade the driver manually again. Moral of the story seems to be: expect occasional breakage if you're using Win10, and be prepared for it. If a driver version works, KEEP A COPY of the installer (most seem to do that automatically; look for an AMD or NVIDIA folder in the root level of the disk) to revert with when a newer one breaks something. And hope that ORTS and others can keep up with patching things. BTW, once your hardware is more than a year or so old the driver updates are unlikely to be doing much for you anyway unless you're an avid gamer - most seem to just add tweaks for specific new games.

Lindsay: your comments about Linux are interesting. I'm currently downloading Mint and will try it out in VirtualBox. MSTS and ORTS are important items to test (though I expect MSTS will fail in VB in Linux as it does in XP), but so are a couple of other programs I have that are Windows-only (ACD Canvas w/GIS, Irfanview, Diamond Cut 8.5).

BTW, if we want to discuss this further, we should probably take the Linux stuff to another thread.

#5 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:03 AM

Looks like a watchdog is triggered as Render process has hung up.....

#6 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostETR500n30FR, on 28 December 2015 - 04:00 AM, said:

Error: Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.ThreadHangException: Thread 'Render Process' has hung; the consistent stack trace is shown below:
at Orts.Viewer3D.SceneryMaterial.Render(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, IEnumerable`1 renderItems, Matrix& XNAViewMatrix, Matrix& XNAProjectionMatrix) in e:\Documents\Coding\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Unstable\workspace\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Materials.cs:line 824

This basically means the AMD driver is hanging. The stack shown here is the bit of the stack which is the same every time the watchdog looked at it, so that means that it (probably) spent 10 seconds stopped in this one call - which is a call out of Open Rails and in to DirectX and the graphics drivers. I doubt there's anything we can do about this problem, unless someone miraculously figures out what it is that makes the AMD driver hang. I'd say you just have to wait for the next version of the driver and hope it's fixed, unfortunately. :(

#7 User is offline   ETR500n30FR 

• Apprentice

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:44 AM

Goodmorning everyone,
I thank you for the answers.
Momentarily, when I play with OR, I turn off the Wi-Fi PC, at least I do not automatically download drivers. :rolleyes:

Edoardo

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users