Elvas Tower: Access documentation from menu - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Access documentation from menu Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:18 AM

Very nice idea indeed.

#12 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:25 AM

View Postedwardk, on 16 December 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

I just completed the basis of the work. The button operation that I copied is the Tools button. I created a Documents folder under the program folder and I have been testing with pdf files. As far as other file formats, I would have to assume that the doc format will also be included. I am not sure how much further we want to take this concept, but what I am testing now is working well. I just need to make sure that the Documents naming convention for the folder is fine or should this be changed?

The build process creates a folder called Documentation and it only produces PDF files (it converts everything else to PDF) - so that's all we need to worry about. You can download the Testing Version from http://openrails.org/download/program/ to check your code works with what's generated if you like.

For localised versions, which I think we should add after the initial function is done, I think we'll need a naming convention to identify languages. I would recommend we name the files "Normal name with spaces (language-code).pdf". The button can then check the language code and decide what to do with it. We'll need to rename some of the existing files but that's fine.

#13 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:01 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 16 December 2015 - 04:25 AM, said:

The build process creates a folder called Documentation and it only produces PDF files (it converts everything else to PDF) - so that's all we need to worry about. You can download the Testing Version from http://openrails.org/download/program/ to check your code works with what's generated if you like.

For localised versions, which I think we should add after the initial function is done, I think we'll need a naming convention to identify languages. I would recommend we name the files "Normal name with spaces (language-code).pdf". The button can then check the language code and decide what to do with it. We'll need to rename some of the existing files but that's fine.

The Documentation folder is found under the source directory, but not under the compiled Program folder. This is probably done to save space, but since this feature is being added, the Documentation folder must be included with the build process. I am talking about the experimental versions so I am guessing the stable version has the Documentation folder.

Edit: The documentation folder also includes the docx, and the pptx formats.

Edward K.

#14 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:15 PM

The file formats found under the experimental Documentation folder are included. Everything is working well. If the Documentation folder is not included, then nothing will happen when the Documents button is clicked. Keep in mind that I am talking about the experimental builds.

James, do you want a test version uploaded here first for testing?

Edward K.

#15 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:21 AM

View Postedwardk, on 16 December 2015 - 01:01 PM, said:

The Documentation folder is found under the source directory, but not under the compiled Program folder. This is probably done to save space, but since this feature is being added, the Documentation folder must be included with the build process. I am talking about the experimental versions so I am guessing the stable version has the Documentation folder.

Edit: The documentation folder also includes the docx, and the pptx formats.

The "Source\Documentation" folder is the source of the documentation and "Program\Documentation" is the compiled (PDF) versions. Please download the Stable Version or Testing Version and see for yourself.

View Postedwardk, on 16 December 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

The file formats found under the experimental Documentation folder are included. Everything is working well. If the Documentation folder is not included, then nothing will happen when the Documents button is clicked. Keep in mind that I am talking about the experimental builds.

This sounds like you're talking about "Source\Documentation" which is not included in any downloads (except the actual source downloads) and is not useful. The Unstable (experimental) Version does NOT come with any documentation! Do not try and make it work in that situation because it can't.

As for what happens in the Unstable Version, when there is no documentation, please disable the button.

#16 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

View Postedwardk, on 16 December 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

James, do you want a test version uploaded here first for testing?

After you've updated it to work as I've described, please do so, thanks.

#17 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 17 December 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

The "Source\Documentation" folder is the source of the documentation and "Program\Documentation" is the compiled (PDF) versions. Please download the Stable Version or Testing Version and see for yourself.

This sounds like you're talking about "Source\Documentation" which is not included in any downloads (except the actual source downloads) and is not useful. The Unstable (experimental) Version does NOT come with any documentation! Do not try and make it work in that situation because it can't.

As for what happens in the Unstable Version, when there is no documentation, please disable the button.

Keep in mind James that developers also need easy access to documentation. Thanks for the disabling the button tip. This was something I was not thinking about.

Edward K.

#18 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:50 PM

Speaking of the documentation, is there someone tasked with adding more levels of detail to the Table of Contents? Or alternatively a comprehensive index?

#19 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:10 PM

As of V3392, the feature to allow immediate access to documentation was added on the menu. If you are running the stable version, the Documentation folder will be present, but not present with the experimental versions that are downloaded. This folder can be found under the source directory if you are downloading via TortoiseSVN.

Edward K.

#20 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 17 December 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

Speaking of the documentation, is there someone tasked with adding more levels of detail to the Table of Contents? Or alternatively a comprehensive index?

Some thoughts:
Since the Manual is presented in a PDF (or Doc) viewer with all of the sub headings available in the "navigation" or "view" panel, I don't feel that much is to be gained by adding more levels to the "Table of Contents" page in the document itself.
Also, the search capability of the PDF viewer performs some of the function of an index, although a real index has the advantage of providing context to the entries. It is quite a job to develop a good index for a document.
(BTW, I would not recommend having the .doc version used as the reference, since unless you take care to open it in "read-only" mode in the reader, it's possible to mess it up accidentally.)

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users