Elvas Tower: ORTS sound triggers, variables - Elvas Tower

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS sound triggers, variables and the future of OR sound management. Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:29 AM

View Postdisc, on 15 November 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

I've added this to make possible to avoid the ttype method. Also the wagons should be the sound source. If it would be added to the track sound files, where would be the source? I don't know if it's easily possible to pass the wagons's curveforce to the track sound sources.

At the moment, the ttype sounds are triggered by the train passing sound region markers applied when the route is built. To trigger curve force sounds by this method would mean a lot of work in Route Editor. Also, only one ttype sound can be active at one time so a tunnel sound effect could not be active concurrently with a curve sound effect, for instance. However, it should be possible to rewrite the ttype handler code to work via the discrete triggers code. It may even be more efficient because the ttype handler code is a bit "out on a limb".

Dennis

#62 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:57 AM

View Postrailguy, on 15 November 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

I apologize for being ignorant, but where can the ORflange.wav file be downloaded? Thanks.

Here is one, but it's easy to make a new.
Attached File  ORflange.zip (400.05K)
Number of downloads: 214

View Postdennisat, on 15 November 2015 - 09:29 AM, said:

However, it should be possible to rewrite the ttype handler code to work via the discrete triggers code. It may even be more efficient because the ttype handler code is a bit "out on a limb".

You mean the ttype activates discrete the triggers of the wagon?

#63 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:10 AM

View Postdisc, on 15 November 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

You mean the ttype activates discrete the triggers of the wagon?

Yes, as the wagon passes a sound region marker, which is already detected in the ttype code, it could set a discrete trigger. I've been thinking about this for a while but not done anything about it. (Too much domestic work at home at the moment).

Dennis

#64 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:35 AM

About ttype: there would be absolutely no change to be done to the route files. Simply, within all files in the ttype list a stream related to the curve flange sound should be added. If the trainset which is using such ttype file is on a curve, the flange sound is played.
Why shouldn't this work?

#65 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:09 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 15 November 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

About ttype: there would be absolutely no change to be done to the route files. Simply, within all files in the ttype list a stream related to the curve flange sound should be added. If the trainset which is using such ttype file is on a curve, the flange sound is played.
Why shouldn't this work?

At the moment, ttype sounds are only triggered by sound region markers (placed by the route editor) that indicate the ttype sound required. Perhaps the curve force could trigger the ttype code but I like the idea of simplifying the code so that the discrete / variable trigger system handles all sound initiation / termination. As I said, I haven't really analysed the implications.

Dennis

#66 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

I am not able to make myself understandable. In any ttype sound you can insert speed-dependent streams (dependent through triggers and volume curve). The same way, you can insert a curve force-dependent stream. The same as you get the speed from the train (or the car, I don't have the code now available), you get the curve force from the car.

#67 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:46 AM

I have the good news that the flangecurve works also if inserted in a track sound. I inserted it into usatrack0.sms and it worked. I only had to add a second volume curve (speedcontrolled), because apparently the curve force is there also at speed = 0, and it's not nice to have flange sound at speed = 0 :)
Here the volume curve I added at the bottom of disc's stream:
								VolumeCurve (
								SpeedControlled
								CurvePoints ( 2
								0.0 0.0
								3.0 1.0
								)
								)

To be complete I must say that I had a crash at game startup (before adding the second volume curve) that I wasn't able to reproduce.

#68 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:30 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 15 November 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

I am not able to make myself understandable. In any ttype sound you can insert speed-dependent streams (dependent through triggers and volume curve). The same way, you can insert a curve force-dependent stream. The same as you get the speed from the train (or the car, I don't have the code now available), you get the curve force from the car.

I understand you now, I wasn't thinking properly! You are right, that is a perfectly good way of using the curve sounds.

View PostCsantucci, on 16 November 2015 - 12:46 AM, said:

To be complete I must say that I had a crash at game startup (before adding the second volume curve) that I wasn't able to reproduce.

Yes, there are still some task synchronisation problems with sound. I've found two and have corrected them with "lock" processing. I haven't offered them as patches because they are virtually impossible to test because they happen so infrequently and "lock" processing is not popular with the OR Development Team. I've had these patches in place for many months and haven't had recurrences of the crashes they are meant to solve.
The "locks" don't seem to impact the performance of my system but I've recently changed my PC to an i7 6700K Skylake overclocked to 4.4GHz with solid state disks. It boots faster than my tablet!

Dennis

#69 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:54 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 16 November 2015 - 12:46 AM, said:

I have the good news that the flangecurve works also if inserted in a track sound. I inserted it into usatrack0.sms and it worked.

That's strange, i didn't looked out for track sounds at all. If that works, then and all other variables can be used at track sounds.

#70 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:55 AM

View Postdisc, on 16 November 2015 - 06:54 AM, said:

That's strange, i didn't looked out for track sounds at all. If that works, then and all other variables can be used at track sounds.

I think some variables may not be appropriate. Track sounds apply to a marked length of track, a "sound region". For instance tunnel sounds and bridge sounds. When a vehicle enters a sound region it "attaches" the appropriate sounds and "detaches" the sounds for the previous region. This abruptly cuts off the sounds for the previous region and starts up the sounds for the current region. Even if the same sound was in both sms files it would stutter as the sound region marker was passed. It must not matter, or be unnoticeable, if the sounds in a sound region sms file momentarily stutter.

Dennis

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users