• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

possible audio bug OR X3208 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JBrownCS 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

I've been running into an audio issue ever since I have upgraded to the latest Open Rails release (X3208).

What's happening is any time I have the simulation running I hear a buzzing sound coming out of my speakers.

1) This did not occur prior to upgrading.
2) Turning down the sound in OR has no affect.
3) Muting OR from the Windows 7 audio mixer has no affect.
4) Muting all sound globally has no affect.
5) This only happens when OR is running a simulation, no other applications exhibit this behavior.
6) The buzzing sound is heard even if I play another audio stream, internet radio, for example.
7) The only change that has occurred is the upgrade to the latest version of OR so this is not a driver or speaker issue.

I noticed this because I prefer to run my simulations completed muted so that I can listen to other content. The buzzing sound is quite annoying.

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:32 AM

Which version did you upgrade from? No hardware or cabling changes and no hardware been moved? Typically I'd say this kind of thing is interference from two devices or cables, e.g. graphics card and sound card (which might be part of the motherboard). I've started getting a quiet buzzing in my audio when playing 3D games after I upgraded by graphics card, for example.

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:23 AM

View PostJBrownCS, on 07 August 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

I've been running into an audio issue ever since I have upgraded to the latest Open Rails release (X3208).

What's happening is any time I have the simulation running I hear a buzzing sound coming out of my speakers.

1) This did not occur prior to upgrading.
2) Turning down the sound in OR has no affect.
3) Muting OR from the Windows 7 audio mixer has no affect.
4) Muting all sound globally has no affect.
5) This only happens when OR is running a simulation, no other applications exhibit this behavior.
6) The buzzing sound is heard even if I play another audio stream, internet radio, for example.
7) The only change that has occurred is the upgrade to the latest version of OR so this is not a driver or speaker issue.

I noticed this because I prefer to run my simulations completed muted so that I can listen to other content. The buzzing sound is quite annoying.

Just to understand the matter right, you have completely muted your computer´s sound output, right? (that is, it shows a crossed speaker icon near the clock in the task bar).

However, you still hear a buzzing sound on your speakers - which kind of speakers? Integrated into case like on a laptop, integrated into screen that is separate from the computer or a totally independent sound system, with external amplifier, speakers, etc.?

I´m asking, because with my laptop, which has an external sound system attached, I use to hear strange buzzing sounds when I put my mobile next to one of the cables (mostly the cable connecting computer sound-out and amp sound-in). Sometimes also the high-voltage power-lines near my home cause interference.

Cheers, Markus

#4 User is offline   JBrownCS 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth.

Turns out this is not really an issue. What happened is that I had my external speaker up very high while my computer volume was set to low. This caused me to hear sounds from the computer that I normally would not hear.

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:05 AM

Not a problem, you´re :sign_welcome:

Glad you found the reason and could sort it out :)

Cheers, Markus

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users