File Name: PS HENDRICK HUDSON 1906
File Submitter: CrisGer
File Submitted: 17 Jul 2015
File Updated: 18 Jul 2015
File Category: Vehicles

Hudson River Day Line Steamship PS. Hendrick Hudson 1906

Model by Chris Gerlach
Texture by Chris Gerlach
Adjustment and Shipfitting by Jeff Farquar (MasterChief)

This classic sidewheel steamship was one of the largest of her type on the Hudson River, built by the Day Line and operated for decades she carried passengers up the river and back. the Hudson was the second largest of the Day Line fleet and served the line for decades carrying day passengers up and down the Hudson River. She was laid down in 1904 and launched in 1906.

This model is intended for the Tri State Route but can also be sued for a number of similar ships that served across the United States and in Canada between the 1870s and the 1950s. Most were wooden so few have survived.

Rights and Permissions:

You are welcome to repaint and otherwise convert this model as you wish, however I request that no commercial use be made. Also there is no liability promised or given, you use at your own risk. This model is open source but may NOT be sold or used in any commercial format or included in a for sale route or set of files.

Due to high poly count, will work best in Open Rails. A driveable version will also be released with an authentic sound set and custom cab view. She will however work in MSTS as well, and can be placed using the default Route Editor. It is thanks to Jeff Farquar and his generous help that this model was adjusted to allow it to load in the Route Editor for MSTS and Open Rails.

I owe my humble modeling skills to many wonderful teachers and masters of the craft, including Tim Muir, Capt Bazza (Barry Munro), John Fleming, Jeff Farquar, and others. It is due to their generous sharing and help I have been able to master TSM enough to create models of this quality and I hope to continue to share and give back as I am able, with much gratitude.

TSM SOURCE FILE is included. If you do make new variations or convert I would appreciate an advance copy and some notice of it. thank you.

Chris Gerlach (CrisGer)
Elvas Tower

chrisgerlach9@yahoo.com

History and Statistics:

Operator:

Hudson River Day Line 1924-1960

HENDRICK HUDSON was built in 1906 at the T.S. Marvel Shipyard, Newburgh, New York. She was a beautiful steamer throughout at 390 feet and the second largest vessel to operate for the Hudson River Day Line.

In 1935 and 1936, the Day Line achieved great success with its excursion programs. And in 1937 the Line used their largest steamer HENDRICK HUDSON which was to become an annual event. With her 5,252 passenger capacity, HUDSON was larger than either HAMILTON or FULTON. Because of this, the schedule was altered so that the excursion originated at Indian Point which added Catskill as a landing. The departure times from Newburgh, Poughkeepsie and Kingston Point didn't change and the round trip fare remained at a dollar. The departure time from Albany on the return trip was advanced to 4:30 p.m.

Also historic in 1937 was the final port to port passing of HENDRICK HUDSON with the largest nightboat on the river, the BERKSHIRE. This happened on a summer night in August as the Day Liner left Newburgh shortly after 10 p.m. for its final destination upriver to Indian Point. Thirteen nights after that historic river passing the Night Line terminated service.

HENDRICK HUDSON serviced many passengers during the War years since gasoline was rationed to automobile owners. Travel by car was limited, but the steamboat business has stellar years. The total number of passengers rose to 1,431,000 -the highest number since 1930. With so many passengers traveling the Day Line's upriver excursions to Albany ceased and the Line converted to travel only.

HENDRICK HUDSON operated on the Hudson River between New York and Albany until 1948. She was later scrapped in 1951.

Type: Passenger steamboat
Length: 400 ft 5 in (106.50 m)[1]
Beam: 82 ft (23 m)
Draft: 14 ft 6 in (4.11 m)
Decks: 4 total, 3 complete and 1 partial
Installed power: Four Scotch marine boilers
Propulsion: Incline triple expansion engine
Capacity: 5,252

Design

The Day Line steamboat was a rare type of side-wheeler because of its engine system. Four Scotch marine boilers delivered steam to an incline triple expansion engine that turned a crankshaft attached to feathering paddle-wheels on the port and starboard sides. This system propelled the boat during its cruises. In other words, it was a paddle steamer with the paddle-wheels on the side as opposed to a stern-wheeler, which has one wheel at the stern. She was the last of the great Day Line "side-wheelers", and perhaps, the last of her kind to ply the Hudson River.

http://www.practical...amilton-113200/

Click here to download this file

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users