• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steam Engine OR eng file needs questions re OR log Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   burgerbern 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:30 PM

I have just been running a UP 4-10-2 #9000 over Sherman Hill, which worked pretty nicely. at the end i looked in the log and found this short list of lets say problems, so the question is what do i need to insert or (alter as in the case of Boiler Volume) in order to get the best out of the engines and to stop the errors showing up again, if anyome can post the line i would need to insert in the .eng file for each of them it would be a help and would give me something to refer to in future for other engines that may have the same probs. some like the boiler volume are there but i guess not in the correct format most are not there at all.

as a for instance here is the boiler volume line from the engine which i am guessing is not in the correct format, but its format matches the way every engine i have looked at has it

BoilerVolume ( "148*(ft^3)" ) so what is the correct way to express it?

the engines can be found on TS Com file name hr_9000v2.zip thanks for any help provided

OR log excerpt below
==================================================================================================

Information: BoilerEfficiencyGrateAreaLBpFT2toX - default information read from SteamTables

Information: InitialPressureDropRatioRpMtoX - default information read from SteamTables

Information: BurnRateSteamToCoalLbspH - default information read from SteamTables

Warning: Grate Area not found in ENG file and has been set to 22.36065 m^2

Warning: Evaporation Area not found in ENG file and has been set to 1118.032 m^2

Warning: Boiler Volume not found in ENG file, or doesn't appear to be a valid figure, and has been set to 1449.928 Ft^3

Information: BackPressureIHPtoAtmPSI (Superheated) - default information read from SteamTables

==================================================================================================

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:01 AM

The information lines are really not needed for the reason given. Data is being read from the supplied tables, so those can be ignored. The warnings are there to let you know that the required data is not in the eng file. These data lines are listed in the OR Steam Model_03_02_2014.pdf that is located in the Documentation folder. Information to fill these can be found at various locations on the Internet or in various books that may be in the users possession. The boiler volume expression is fine, just the size is too small.

#3 User is offline   burgerbern 

• Conductor

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for that info, i ound the OR Steam Model_03_02_2014 document early this morning and cured 2 of the 7 above

IE:

ORTSEvaporationArea ( "5855*(ft^2)" )
ORTSGrateArea ("108*(ft^2)" )

I know that ORTS is placing values in in place of the missing lines but i want to be able to enter them in to the eng file
A: to avoid the messages
B: because its how i learn, having to do it helps me to do it again and again for other engines whereas letting OR do it
makes me lazy, i have also corrected the boiler pressure was 250 S/Be 220

now the boiler volume, i have looked at the following sites

http://orion.math.ia...rm/slusuprr.htm
http://www.steamloco...4-12-2/?page=up

plus quite a few others and no info on the boiler volume can be found, but i did see that the boiler itself was the one used on the Challengers so by adding the boiler volumes from the NALW challenger engine files part 1 and 2 together i come up with 945 as a figure
BoilerVolume ( "945*(ft^3)" ) does that seem about right? it has stopped the warning coming up in the log.

so 4 to go

these 4

Information: BoilerEfficiencyGrateAreaLBpFT2toX - default information read from SteamTables

Information: InitialPressureDropRatioRpMtoX - default information read from SteamTables

Information: BurnRateSteamToCoalLbspH - default information read from SteamTables

Information: BackPressureIHPtoAtmPSI (Superheated) - default information read from SteamTables

and i cannot find anything about them in the ORTS Steam publication at all or in the examples at the end

#4 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:48 AM

Those Information lines can be ignored. They should not even be there because there is no way to add them to the eng file. If you note the end of each line it says default information read from SteamTables.. These are a set of tables that OR uses to extrapolate data. The injector sizes are actually calculated and read in from a steam table as well, eng file entries being ignored. Far as the boiler volume is concerned it has to be large enough to act as a heat reservoir in the code, but not too large, 945 should be adequate for those locomotives.

#5 User is offline   burgerbern 

• Conductor

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:02 AM

Thanks i will ignor those

i ran it over the Sherman Hill route light engine after sorting those and it performed quite well, on the 1.6% grade going up i had it at 20% reverser and 30% throttle and it maintained around 50MPH without dropping the boiler pressure to much at a boiler pressure of 220, it never went below 208 on the run. over the top and on brakes going down the boiler got to 220, i really wanted it to blow the safeties but it never did

next job is to get some period wagons to go with it

#6 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:15 AM

Safeties only blow while in manual firing mode, same as MSTS.

#7 User is offline   burgerbern 

• Conductor

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:39 PM

That explains why i never saw it happen in MSTS either, you learn something every day

#8 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:50 PM

View Postburgerbern, on 17 June 2015 - 04:25 AM, said:

and i cannot find anything about them in the ORTS Steam publication at all or in the examples at the end

These and the other messages that you mentioned are informational only.

Unless you have a test report for the locomotive, you will find it difficult to accurately input this type of information into the ENG file.

If you want some more info try exploring the details here.

View Postburgerbern, on 17 June 2015 - 04:25 AM, said:

now the boiler volume, i have looked at the following sites

A method for calculating the boiler volume is provided in the above pages.

#9 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:55 AM

What is "Warning: Missing UV index in vertex .............". I am getting very many of them?

#10 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:18 PM

View Postdforrest, on 22 June 2015 - 02:55 AM, said:

What is "Warning: Missing UV index in vertex .............". I am getting very many of them?

Nothing to do with steam engine physics. It is a warning that was put in to show up "defective" shape files, but can be turned off in Options/Experimental. Look for Show Shape warnings and un-tick the box.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users