Elvas Tower: Maybe I am pushing OR a bit too far - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Maybe I am pushing OR a bit too far Crash when too many tiles are loaded Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ChrisD 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

Greetings :sign_thanks:

As I stated in the Heading, I may be pushing OR too much, which is why I do not post a bug report.

As large displays are gaining momentum, this problem may however become more common.

My Display is set to 3600 x 1920 and is physically made up by using 3 1920 x 1200 displays mounted vertically.

Viewing Distance is set to 10 Km's :)

Most of the time OR runs just like a charm :) Good Work Folks. :)

Now, I have loaded Trat321 from CZ, and as I am approaching Prague, Tiles count reaches 69 and Memory Use climbs to 3520 Mb, and here is where the ting crashes.

Sometimes a removal routine seems to reduce the load by 20+ MegaBytes just before disaster strikes, but if this does not happen, Program crashes to Desktop.

Crash can be reproduced, I have gathered 4 different logfiles, if anybody from the OR Team want to take a look.

As I stated, I may be pushing OR beyond its limits, but I have 16384 Mb of physical RAM, so using 3,5 Gb does not seem alarming.

Maybe the OR team is already addressing the 4 GB limit?

If anyone from the development team want a copy of my Log-files, please say when. :)

Before I go, I am really impressed how well OR runs with such a large Dispaly. :)

ChrisD

#2 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:38 AM

View PostChrisD, on 05 June 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

As large displays are gaining momentum, this problem may however become more common.

My Display is set to 3600 x 1920 and is physically made up by using 3 1920 x 1200 displays mounted vertically.

Good to see others have this configuration. I have 3 portrait monitors but they're only 1680 x 1050.

#3 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:02 AM

"Maybe the OR team is already addressing the 4 GB limit?"

It's a Windows XP/32bit limitation.

And can't be fixed without going to a 64bit version of OR.

BTW, I'm using a pair of R7 280X Radeons in CrossfireX with four monitors, although I usually don't add the top one to the Eyefinity display...

Robert

#4 User is offline   ChrisD 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

View Postrdamurphy, on 06 June 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

"Maybe the OR team is already addressing the 4 GB limit?"

It's a Windows XP/32bit limitation.

And can't be fixed without going to a 64bit version of OR.

BTW, I'm using a pair of R7 280X Radeons in CrossfireX with four monitors, although I usually don't add the top one to the Eyefinity display...

Robert

Just curious ;) Have You, or someone else from the Development Team, tried compiling OR for 64 Bits? How far away from a 64 Bit OR are we actually?

A couple of Years Back I tried running 2 Graphics Cards in X-Fire but with no luck.

Maybe time has come to try that trick again.

ChrisD

#5 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostChrisD, on 06 June 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

Just curious :) Have You, or someone else from the Development Team, tried compiling OR for 64 Bits? How far away from a 64 Bit OR are we actually?

I believe (i.e. this is just from memory) the XNA libraries we use are 32bit-only, but there may be other things as well which are 32bit-only. The actual OR code itself is agnostic though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users