Elvas Tower: Dynamic weather - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dynamic weather WeatherChange activity event Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

That was my doubt too.
OK, I will upload my part later today and Edward may follow the same procedure as myself for his one.

#32 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:43 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 14 June 2015 - 02:18 AM, said:

That was my doubt too.
OK, I will upload my part later today and Edward may follow the same procedure as myself for his one.

Thanks; I've approved Activity event for weather change.

#33 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:23 AM

Uploaded in x.3162. Specification may be found here Attached File  WeatherChangeEventspecification.zip (3.43K)
Number of downloads: 570 .
Demo activity may be found here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__182336 .

#34 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:23 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 14 June 2015 - 01:59 AM, said:

Why are you merging things? You're not allowed to commit them together because they're separate features.

Considering that what I started was before Carlos did his part, the merging example was to show that both projects are working together. I already knew that our work would have to be submitted separately.

Edward K.

#35 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:24 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 13 June 2015 - 11:44 PM, said:

Hi Edward,
I get an out of memory crash with your version, both using your exes and rebuilding the project using the patch, see attached logfile
Attachment OpenRailsLog.zip
This version of the logfile does not include the line numbers, however from the rebuilt version I noticed that the crash occurs at line 185 of Precipitation.cs .
Take into account that I have a 32 bit Windows and my OR has a 2 GB memory maximum, even if I use RunactivityLAA.exe

It must also be noted for other people that your .zip file is not complete: referring to the executables it needs the previous installation of my .zip file (in yours the 10 additional rain textures and modified file Orts.Formats.Msts.dll are missing); referring to the patch file patches to Runactivity.csproj and ACTFile.cs are missing.

Carlos,

This would mean 1 of 2 things. First a possible bug with the 16bit test. This could only be the case if your graphics is 16bit. If not, I will have to lower the value for MaxIntensityPPSPM2. I have been testing to see what the limit is and its possible you may have experienced this limit on your system.

Edward K.

#36 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:24 PM

Hi Edward,
my graphics card (Nvidia GeForce FT120M) should be 32 bit (I don't see this written explicitly somewhere - I read that it has 32 pipelines) , as it never crashed the computer in the old times when there wasn't the precipitation limit introduced by James to protect 16bit graphic systems.
My computer has 4GB memory; however I usually don't use the LAA extension to 3GB, because this enormously slows down my computer (continuous disk swapping) when running other programs and when starting.
Following is my opinion:
- a maximum amount of memory allocated to precipitation should be stated, maybe distinct for 2GB, 3GB and 4GB configurations (I remember James wrote a number long time ago); this number should not be too high in percentage of available memory, because memory is a precious resource that is used also for other aims, and not only for precipitation: I had the out of memory crash with the Japan1 route, which uses very few memory; so I expect that precipitation uses a quite large amount of memory in your patch;
- it would be nice to find someone having a 16-bit graphics card to test your patch;
- your idea to have your patch as experimental at the beginning (as written to me) could be advisable (if not too complicated in terms of implementation), in order to check on a wider basis of testers how the patch behaves.

#37 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:45 PM

Hi All,
I must be doing something wrong - I can't seem to get the test activity "testweather.zip", which is an .apk file, to unpack properly with the MSTS unpacker program. I get a "Failed to read route info" when I drop it on the tsunpack.exe file in my MSTS UTILS folder. This is the default MSTS installation with both Japan routes. I tried the new contributed APK loader, and it died too, with an "unhandled Microsoft .NET Framework exception."
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

#38 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:31 PM

Hi Sid,
in fact you're right, sorry: the file doesn't unzip correctly (I don't understand how this could happen). I have replaced it now. Moreover here you have an unpackaged version of the activity.
Attached File  Testweather_unpackaged.zip (3.85K)
Number of downloads: 617

By the way, it would be nice if you could add to the manual the specification attached to the blueprint of this feature...

#39 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:56 AM

Hi Sid,

I tried the new contributed APK loader, and it died too, with an "unhandled Microsoft .NET Framework exception."

Are you referring to APKExtractor3, which I recently uploaded?
If so, I have had no problem unpacking the Testweather activity, both the original (7 June) version and the latest one. The message you got seems to imply that .NET 3.5 SP1 Framework is not correctly installed, although that is unlikely as, I assume, Open Rails runs OK.

If you can give me any more information, it'd be greatly appreciated. Many thanks :)

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : Incidentally, I've just discovered that the 7 June version unpacks without any problem using TSUnpack! Maybe this seems to point to a problem with your MSTS system ?

#40 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:26 AM

Hi! Would it be possible to consider a random factor please? Either a change to random weather type, or at a random time for change during the activity. Obviously not a summer snowstorm! Perhaps random weather is a British obsession?
But seriously, I just hate how activities always play the same, and are so rigidly scripted. I think OR is robust enough to process much more flexibility (ie randomness) in activities, giving a much improved experience
Thanks rick

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users