• You cannot reply to this topic

Can Con Builder and Route Riter be used with OR? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

I plan to test and work with new stock and the five route projects I am actively working with in OR almost exclusively ..but wanted to ask if it is possible to use some of the tried and true utilities like Con Builder and RouteRiter with OR by directing them to a just OR installation using a similar file structure as MSTS or do we need to have a MSTS install to use them?

I saw a post today that someone has made a Route editor that works with both OR and MSTS has it been tested yet? thanks for info on this. From recent tests OR is looking fantastic. Great work All hands.

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:02 AM

I still use the old RR which works fine with OR folder structure as does Conbuilder. Both may toss an error about not finding train.exe, but it does not stop them from working.

#3 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

For Conbuilder, use the MANAGER that comes with it. After doing the analysis, point the MANAGER to the mini-route that you want CB to use.

#4 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

To expand on what Craig posted:
ConBuilder (the Payware version) comes with MSTS Manager. See http://www.conbuilder.com/manager.html
This image needs updating but you get the idea. Manager can search your computer for Installs and creates a list or you can clip the path and paste it in one at a time or you can create a text file with each new line a path to an Install and save the text file as MSTS.dat in your ConBuilder folder.
http://www.conbuilder.com/shot1.gif
From Manager's main window you can do a number of things: Change the registry path then run MSTS or ConBuilder. Or you could just click a path and then click the ConBuilder button to make ConBuilder open with its options already set on that path. When you choose to "Drive a Train" it will be done on the Path displayed as Current Path then you are given options on how much memory to use and whether or not to run in the Window mode. Of course OR does not need the tools for changing the registry path as it has it's own install path selector.

The OP asked if ConBuilder works with OR. The answer is yes to an extent. ConBuilder does not need Train.exe to run but like OR it needs the MSTS folder structure and it needs to be pointed to the root folder of that structure. Once that is done ConBuilder creates consist just the same as it does with MSTS.

The users of the payware version of ConBuilder have been informed that the program we call ConBuilder is being frozen. By that we mean that we are no longer developing or considering developing new tool for using ConBuilder with MSTS. Instead we are turning our development to what we are calling TrainSim-ConBuilder, TS-CB, a consist editor that will work with both MSTS and ORTS. Version 1 of TS-CB will include capabilities to test the ORTS3DCab section to verify that the cab file is present, similar to how ConBuilder tests the 2d Cabview line. It will also test the Include statements if used.

By the way "freezing ConBuilder" does not mean that we are abandoning it nor our customers who have not transitioned to ORTS. We will still market it, make new license files for users who upgrade their PC, and provide help in using the program.

#5 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:18 AM

I have been running OR exclusively for two years and using both ConBuilder and MSTSManager to build consists, do analysis, troubleshoot, and various other jobs. All functions of both programs work fine with OR. Finding and pointing to different OR profiles is very simple using the MSTSmanager.

I'm looking forward to the new improvements when they roll out.

#6 User is offline   Navcom64 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:53 AM

I use Convoi for creating consist for Open Rails and work fine. It's no need to have MSTS instaled for normal work. Only need is when is Convoi loaded go to > OPTIONS and in Others Options Work's Program folder must be set to folder for Open Rails (for example I have OR instaled in-C:\Games\Open Rails) and
Work's Program folder is set to this location. Only what you need to install Vignette, small program what comming with Convoi for creating small BMP (vignettes) for Convoi to you can see lokomotives or vaggons correct because Convoi can display only default rollingstock of MSTS, for all other you must create their own vignettes and put it in Thubnails folder of Convoi.

#7 User is offline   Gman347 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:20 AM

Hey Chris,

I sent you a PM.

Paul :sign_thanks:

#8 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:08 PM

Thank you all for the great help here, I have been buried in some major projects but did hope to learn how to set up a stand alone OR set up and this thread and your answers are helping a lot. thanks again. And the plans for the new conbuilder sound great.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users