• Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:57 PM

Thank you very much for your response, Goku. :thumbup3:

#412 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:04 PM

I have downloaded this new version and so far have only tried to start it. I am running it on Linux (Debian testing 32 bit) under wine. It starts quite OK once I had ediied the settings file.

One can move around the route no problems, I have not so far had time to try anything else, looking very hopefull though. I have to fiddle around with wine a bit as it starts windowed 1280x1024 which is NOT big enough (Monitor is 30 inch 2560x1600), will try windowed 1920x1200.

Question, Is there any docs on how to use it.

Anyway well done so far, this is excellent!

Lindsay

#413 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:18 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 19 February 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

One can move around the route no problems, I have not so far had time to try anything else, looking very hopefull though. I have to fiddle around with wine a bit as it starts windowed 1280x1024 which is NOT big enough (Monitor is 30 inch 2560x1600), will try windowed 1920x1200.

You can resize window using mouse.

View PostLindsayts, on 19 February 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

Question, Is there any docs on how to use it.

No. You can read first post and post about version v0.607 to find some info.

There is possibility to compile it for native linux, but I need configure static QT on my os. Using native TSRE engine on linux also requires renaming all msts files to lowercase. Because of inconsequence in names inside .w, .s etc. files and file mames on disk, my engine always looks for lowercase names. On windows it is no problem because windows does not recognize lower/uppercase in file names.

[edit]
I managed to compile native linux version, but it does not work properly. So, no native linux version in the near future.
http://i.imgur.com/UCMLc4i.png

#414 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:16 PM

What an accomplishment, Goku!

I will download it tomorrow when I get to good internet. I will be trying it out. I have no prior route building experience, so I'll be learning on your work. (Nor can I go back to the MSTS route editor - it doesn't run on my setup). I hope I can contribute something in testing it.

I am excited.

Christopher

#415 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:09 PM

View PostGoku, on 19 February 2016 - 03:18 PM, said:

You can resize window using mouse.

First of all thanks very much for the reply.

The problem is wine's window cannot be resized that way, you have to specify the size in wines config.

No. You can read first post and post about version v0.607 to find some info.

There is possibility to compile it for native linux, but I need configure static QT on my os. Using native TSRE engine on linux also requires renaming all msts files to lowercase. Because of inconsequence in names inside .w, .s etc. files and file mames on disk, my engine always looks for lowercase names. On windows it is no problem because windows does not recognize lower/uppercase in file names.

I managed to compile native linux version, but it does not work properly. So, no native linux version in the near future.

It may be worth remembering the wine under linux is NOT an emulator (thats what wine's name means "wine is not an emulator"). Its basicly another graphical interface API somewhat more complicated than Qt etc. So if it runs OK under wine I would not worry to much about an native version, at this stage anyway.

Note: I personally believe OR being able to run on Linux using any method , be it monogame or wine, will be a MAJOR and I do mean MAJOR shot in the arm for OR. There's plenty of people in Linux begging for a decent train sim.

I will check on the posts you mentioned,

LIndsay

#416 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

Looks and works great Goku! Thank you for all of your hard work!

#417 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:37 AM

Playing with the new route editor under Linux, the beginning...............

Note: I have spent many years as a complex systems technician working on a wide range of hardware, including computors. I have been running Linux for over 21 years and I am very clewed up on most aspects of it.
I have little experience with windows, having abandond it for most things many years ago. I do though do some programming on Linux using the C language and on some controlers using Motorala 68K series cpu's (68,000, 68020, and 68040), Language used on these is 68k assembler.

The route editor is being run on Debian Linux using wine. WInes desktop has been set at 2200x1400, monitor is 30 inch 2560x1600
I needed to edit the settings file to point to my routes director,.after that one could select the route from the menu.

Note: The route directory, in fact all the drives wine access are virtual, the actual drives being directories on my home drive which is running the LInux extended 4 file system.
One can use windows real data drives, I chose not to do that though.

Moving is done by the cursor keys or keys A,S,D and either W or E direction change is done using the mouse and holding down button 1.

Jumping to new position using Lat and Long works OK.

Objects can be selected by pushing the select bar in the right hand menu and ciicking on an object and details of the object appear on th left hand side. I have not though figured out how t get out of this mode.

Different types of objects for placement are selected by using the top button bars, objects can be placed no problems although I am not 100 percent sure of the key strokes used, I could not rotate or move the object once placed, I could not figure out how to undo a placement, and again I could not figure out how to back out of this mode.

Terrain editing work well the control was very course, being quite simple to produce massive hills and valleys, again could not figure out how to back out of this mode or undo any changes.

The editor was quite stable on Linux under wine and looks like it will be useful once one figures out the control system.

I believe it would be a real good idea to start a route editor user hints thread so that so that when one figures out how to so something everyone else will know and better use can be made of this bit of software.

Lindsay

#418 User is offline   Lutz_s 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:39 AM

Hi Goku,

I've tried the Route Editor too. I'm having some difficulties with the UI. Most times I can't see what the editor will do, when clicking somewhere. Could you please implement some indication (text in a statusbar or icons), which tool is active and for terrain editing if the terrain is going to be highered or lowered? Please add function-keys for selecting objects and place new object. As all other tools are activated through function keys, it would be reasonable to do it with these tools too.

I think, when you have implemented an UI-element showing the data of the selected track item, one can use the editor to build new routes.

I tried to manipulate some forests. I think at the moment one can only move them around or did I miss something? I didn't manage to rotate one, nor could I change it's dimensions.

@Goku: The following text shall only help people to try out your editor. I don't want to offense you with writing a function doesn't work as expected. It's only meant as help for others. I know how hard it is, to program something like this editor. It's visible that you already have an idea for next steps of the program and we all know, that the editor is work in progess. Keep up your good work.

@Lindsay
At the moment I know these commands:
F1: activate objects-mode
F2: activate terrain-mode

camera control
W,A,S,D / Cursor: moving around
Mouse Right and move: turning view

objects
R: activate rotation of object
T: activcate translation of object
NumPad 1...9: rotate / translate object (If numpad is disabled in settings-file these functions should be usable with the cursor-buttons, pageup and pagedown. I didn't try it.)
C: Clone object: The selected object will be added to the list of recent objects, so you can place a new one.
P: I couldn't find out what it does effectively. It seems to do the same as the C-key.
Ctrl: Finer steps for moving / rotating
transfers only: Y enables scaling the transfer with the numpad-keys

Tracklaying
one has to click on the last trackobject near the end of it to let the new track snap to it. After that press Z, to add the track to the database. Only works if the trackobject is still selected.
X: turns the direction of the trackobject. If you try to turn a trackobject which is already in the database, it jumps totally out of place. If that happens, you have to delete it.
F: Adjust terrain to trackobject (embankment / cutting)

Terrain
Z: Toggle mode: terrain higher / lower

M: Save
B: Seems to undo everything since the last save.

The buttons for copying position / rotation don't seem to work at the moment.

Cheers Lutz

#419 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PostLutz_s, on 21 February 2016 - 03:39 AM, said:

Most times I can't see what the editor will do, when clicking somewhere. Could you please implement some indication (text in a statusbar or icons), which tool is active and for terrain editing if the terrain is going to be highered or lowered?

Statusbar is good idea. It will be very simple to do.

I tried to manipulate some forests. I think at the moment one can only move them around or did I miss something? I didn't manage to rotate one, nor could I change it's dimensions.

Yes, forests are not finished.

C: Clone object: The selected object will be added to the list of recent objects, so you can place a new one.
P: I couldn't find out what it does effectively. It seems to do the same as the C-key.

P does what you described as C. C puts cloned object on tile. Use C -> T -> move.

B: Seems to undo everything since the last save.

It makes new tile. Go to empty space where you want new tile and press B.

#420 User is offline   Lutz_s 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the info

• 208 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic