• You cannot reply to this topic

Graphic fault with German Railroads engine Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Rogue 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Open Rails

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

Hi,

I recently stumbled over a strange graphical fault with some GR engines.

As soon as the engine is at a certain close distance from the viewer, the main body disappears and some graphic items remain.
This happens in all external views (e.g. pass by, front view, free view, etc.).

It may have something to do with the fact, that all these engines share the same body and the a.m. remaining individual parts (like engine number) are distributed over various folders.

Here are the pictures for demonstration...makes everything easier to understand:

Normal views from a certain external view with a longer distance from the engine:

Attached Image: Open Rails 2015-05-05 08-49-22.jpg
Attached Image: Open Rails 2015-05-05 08-50-13.jpg

Now some views from a shorter distance:

Attached Image: Open Rails 2015-05-05 08-50-44.jpg
Attached Image: Open Rails 2015-05-05 08-51-28.jpg

In view 4, the engine looks normal before and after it passed the viewer.

Here's a screenshot from the Shape Viewer of this engine. The main body must be somewhere else or connected in some other way:

Attached Image: 2015-05-05 20_53_07-Shape Viewer - Z217_022_3.s.jpg

This caused no problems in MSTS.

Bests
Boris

#2 User is online   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

What does the other shape show. The one you show looks like a freightanim to me.

#3 User is offline   Lutz_s 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:48 AM

Hi Boris,

some of the German Railroads engines have a sort of copy protection. The first lod contains only a few boxes, but nothing, that looks like an engine. The engine you are referring to has this "feature". In MSTS you couldn't get so close to the engine with the camera, that the first lod would become visible, but OR hasn't got this limitation. The first lod of this engine is visible at 1m, the second lod at 25m. If you get too close to the engine with the camera, all that's still visible is the freight anim and the copy protection boxes. It's not a fault of OpenRails that this can happen, it's how the engine was designed.
By the way, the last picture shows only the freightanim and not the engine.

Lutz

#4 User is offline   Rogue 

• Hostler

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:11 AM

Hi Lutz,

thanks for the information...didn't know that this weird Shape-Management is supposed to be a copy-protection.
So that's solved then...
Just for completion: I attached a picture of the other shape as demanded by copperpen.

Bests
Boris

Attached Image: 2015-05-06 19_03_02-Shape Viewer.jpg

#5 User is online   copperpen 

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

Ah yes. If you look at the LOD levels the main engine body shape is set at 25m and those oddball blocks are the real close LOD. If you then look at the next LOD level it is 135m which corresponds to the freightanim shape LOD. So from 135 to 25M you get the 3rd LOD locomotive model. At 25m you get the high definition model and the freightanim. At 1m the engine body is replaced by those cubes but the freightanim is still there. It is possible to remove that 1M LOD. The old Train Artisan pacific engines had a similar problem which I sorted out for my own use.

#6 User is offline   Rogue 

• Hostler

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:17 AM

copperpen, on 06 May 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

Ah yes. If you look at the LOD levels the main engine body shape is set at 25m and those oddball blocks are the real close LOD. If you then look at the next LOD level it is 135m which corresponds to the freightanim shape LOD. So from 135 to 25M you get the 3rd LOD locomotive model. At 25m you get the high definition model and the freightanim. At 1m the engine body is replaced by those cubes but the freightanim is still there. It is possible to remove that 1M LOD. The old Train Artisan pacific engines had a similar problem which I sorted out for my own use.

Ah...now I see what you mean. The idea to check the various distances in Shape View didn't occur to me...
But how can I remove the 1M Lod ?
Is this an entry in the eng-file ?

#7 User is online   copperpen 

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:33 AM

Rogue, on 07 May 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

Ah...now I see what you mean. The idea to check the various distances in Shape View didn't occur to me...
But how can I remove the 1M Lod ?
Is this an entry in the eng-file ?

It is an entry in the S file LOD section, actually the first one. My favoured tool for this is Archibald which can work with compressed files. It is slightly complicated, but easy to do once you get the hang of it. Most essential make a copy of the S file in case it goes wrong. If you want to try, contact me by email, it is in my profile.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users