• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Further problem with BLW/ZT DRGW Steam Gen Car Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:21 AM

Ok, so whole new problem with it. It keeps me at restricted speed limits. Tested in multiple routes, whatever the minimum or starting speed is, I'm stuck to taht. Prime example is on the SLI Green River sub, using the consist with that PB Steam Generator, I go through the 35MPH zone from the 25MPH, into the 50PMH, etc... I stay at 25MPH speed limit no matter what. I remove the Steam Generator from the consist, and speeds work just fine and dandy... Any ideas?

#2 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostKazareh, on 20 April 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

Ok, so whole new problem with it. It keeps me at restricted speed limits. Tested in multiple routes, whatever the minimum or starting speed is, I'm stuck to taht. Prime example is on the SLI Green River sub, using the consist with that PB Steam Generator, I go through the 35MPH zone from the 25MPH, into the 50PMH, etc... I stay at 25MPH speed limit no matter what. I remove the Steam Generator from the consist, and speeds work just fine and dandy... Any ideas?

Check the WAG file -- what type is it? Sounds like it is defined as a type of Freight, not a carriage.

#3 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:48 AM

With an engine section it cannot be a wagon or carriage, it can only be an engine. Check the maxVelocity line.

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

I saw this thread earlier and looked at the max velocity line:

MaxPower ( 1kW )
MaxForce ( 100N )
MaxVelocity ( 65mph )

In OR would something that generates only 1kW in max power and weighs 112.4 tons be able to move at 65mph? The 112.4t is from the Mass line in the file.

#5 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:36 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 20 April 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

I saw this thread earlier and looked at the max velocity line:

MaxPower ( 1kW )
MaxForce ( 100N )
MaxVelocity ( 65mph )

In OR would something that generates only 1kW in max power and weighs 112.4 tons be able to move at 65mph? The 112.4t is from the Mass line in the file.

It should..? I mean it's just a steam-generator car, but the train's speed isn't the issue, it's the speed limits. It's as if this Steam Generator affects the speed limits to NOT take effect on the monitor.

#6 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:31 AM

Not sure what the problem is here then. I have just completed a quick test run on the FBL2 line from Mount Oliver using a train made up of 2 F7s, a steam generator set up the same as under discussion and 14 passenger cars. It took 6 minutes and 8 seconds to reach 60.1 mph on full throttle so there is nothing wrong with the concept of a steam engine in a diesel car body.

#7 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 21 April 2015 - 02:31 AM, said:

Not sure what the problem is here then. I have just completed a quick test run on the FBL2 line from Mount Oliver using a train made up of 2 F7s, a steam generator set up the same as under discussion and 14 passenger cars. It took 6 minutes and 8 seconds to reach 60.1 mph on full throttle so there is nothing wrong with the concept of a steam engine in a diesel car body.

You seem to be missing the problem. -Train movement speed is no issue-. What is the issue, is the setting of SPEED LIMITS. Example, say the route's defined 'restricted speed limit' is 25mph. This 'engine' makes it so that is the only speed limit shown. Getting the train to another speed is NOT THE PROBLEM!!!!

Let me give some screenshots to make this -abundantly- clear!!! Taken on the SLI Green River Route, and this 'issue' persists on other routes too. Any route I've run it on, to be exact!

Screenshot 1: Starting out. Note the F4 track monitor's current speed limit, and the speed limit ahead of 35mph

http://i.imgur.com/NHVkegt.png

Screenshot 2: Our train rear has cleared the 35, but we're still restricted to 25.

http://i.imgur.com/EdMORoG.png

Do you all understand -now-? -EVERY- speed limit is like this, with this 'engine' in the consists. Remove it, problem goes away.

#8 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

Signal speed limits ALWAYS over ride track speed limits/signs.

Some aspects on signal rules read "Speed limit must be maintained until entire train is clear of the interlocking" or some such but as far as I know this has not been implimented in OR yet. IOW, You remain at the limit set by the last signal you passed!

For example:
The track speed in the area is 50.
The signal speed through the interlocking is 30.

When your engine passes the interlocking signal it sets your speed limit to 30 and will remain at 30 until you pass another signal with a LESS restrictive speed limit!
I should also note that if in my example you encounter a TRACK speed with a MORE restrictive speed than the 30 mph signal speed then THATS the speed limit you are held to.
Lower TRACK speed always trumps higher SIGNAL speed.
Lower SIGNAL speed always trumps higher TRACK speed.

Here is a 'real' signal rule for the PRR:
=======================================================================
PRR RULE 283
Proceed, Medium Speed within interlocking limits.
Note:Trains may proceed at not exceeding 45MPH within interlocking limits,
at signals displaying a yellow triangle outlined in black.

=======================================================================

This operation has always been this way in MSTS and DOES NOT follow "real" signal rules which allow a return to track speed (50 in this example) when your entire train clears the interlocking. IOW, you're 'stuck' at the signal speed even though your train is clear of the interlocking. There simply was/is no way at the present time to allow the signal speed to be reset when clear . . . Only another signal will reset the signal speed at the present time.

Some routes (mine included) use a 'dummy' (not visible) signal at interlocking exits to alleviate this problem, resetting speed when your train clears the interlocking.

The case you present here, being held at a SIGNAL SPEED limit even though you pass a higher TRACK SPEED limit is normal, as the signal speed trumps track speed and can only be reset to a higher speed by another less restrictive signal. Pretty simple huh?
Hope this helps.

Regards,
vince

#9 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:33 PM

You are running in explore mode there. That is the cause of the speed limit not changing. I get the same thing on different route with different trains.

#10 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:50 PM

I always run in explore mode. However no that is -not- the cause. If I take that engine out of the consist, the speed limits act normally.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users