Elvas Tower: \TRAINS\TRAINSET\BN5569\OpenRails folder - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

\TRAINS\TRAINSET\BN5569\OpenRails folder What should display in the menu? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

Obtained and ENG file (bnc33andc36.zip at Train-Sim) written for OpenRails. Created an OpenRails folder in my ...\TRAINS\TRAINSET\BN5569 folder. Placed the OR bn5569.eng in the OpenRails folder. Name Line in Original bn5569.eng is "BN C33-7 5569 Green-H". Name line in the new OR bn5569.eng is "#OR BN C33-7 5569 Green-H"

Opened ORTS the menu in the ENG list displayed "BN C33-7 5569 Green-H" NOT "#OR BN C33-7 5569 Green-H". AND the Loco Description information displayed was from the original ENG file not from the New OR ENG file.

Section 8 in the ORTS Manual says that the data in the ENG file in the OpenRails folder will used in place of the data within the ENG file in the "TrainCar" folder. Apparently this does not apply for the menu data. That is a shame because this information would be useful to distinguish that the ENG has an ENG file with physics written for OR.

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

A good point, Charles,

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:49 AM

Well is it a BUG or not?

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:58 AM

In my opinion not (at least the part of the name). Because for activity development with the MSTS AE, it's better to have the MSTS and the OR version of the loco with the same name (you will develop the activity referring to the MSTS loco, and then OR will run its loco). It's in fact the same loco, and loco identifiers are both the .eng filename and the loco name.

#5 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

Csantucci, on 14 April 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

In my opinion not (at least the part of the name). Because for activity development with the MSTS AE, it's better to have the MSTS and the OR version of the loco with the same name (you will develop the activity referring to the MSTS loco, and then OR will run its loco). It's in fact the same loco, and loco identifiers are both the .eng filename and the loco name.

I am referring to the Name line NOT the filename. Example:
...\TRAINS\TRAINSET\BN5569 contains BN5569.eng with a Name line of "BN C33-7 5569 Green-H"
...\TRAINS\TRAINSET\BN5569\OpenRails contains BN5569.eng with a Name line of "#OR BN C33-7 5569 Green-H"
Note: I have bolded and underlined where the two Name line differ: #OR

The ORTS menu for Engine selection displays "BN C33-7 5569 Green-H" not "#OR BN C33-7 5569 Green-H" And the ORTS Menu Description pane shows the description from the ...\TRAINS\TRAINSET\BN5569\BN5569.eng file not the ...\TRAINS\TRAINSET\BN5569\OppenRails\BN5569.eng file.

It would be MOST useful if the ORTS Menu would also use the data from the ENG file in the OpenRails that would allow the user to identify ENGs with ORTS physics from those without ORTS physics.

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:47 AM

Charles,
I know the difference between name and filename, and in my preceding post I distinguished them.
When you use the consist editor of MSTS, you see the names and not the filenames. So, if you want to prepare a consist with locos that have also an OR version, you must refer to the MSTS names. Therefore it seems to me easier for the activity creator if the two names coincide, and not only the two filenames. Maybe ConBuilder is another story...

#7 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

Csantucci, on 14 April 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

Charles,
I know the difference between name and filename, and in my preceding post I distinguished them.
When you use the consist editor of MSTS, you see the names and not the filenames. So, if you want to prepare a consist with locos that have also an OR version, you must refer to the MSTS names. Therefore it seems to me easier for the activity creator if the two names coincide, and not only the two filenames. Maybe ConBuilder is another story...

Your explanation makes sense. But creating an Activity is not the first thing I do when I install a new ENG. Since I already had a MSTS version of this ENG I need some way to insure OR was using the new engine. That is why I changed the Name line. Finding the name listed was from the original; I ran it anyway but still had no definite indication that OR was using the ENG file written for OR. So I then edited the Mass line in the original ENG to less than half of its original value and ran the engine again. The info for Mass in the HUD did not change. Only then did I have an indication that OR was actually using the data from the OpenRails folder ENG file.

You have a point that when modifying an ENG in this way the Name line in the Original needs some indication that it has OR physics. I had already begun using the #OR at the beginning of the Name line for ENGs that are OR only such as the Dekosoft GP30s.

So, if you are saying that OR displaying the Name line from the original file and not the file in the OpenRails folder is not a Bug, are you going to update section 8 of the Manual with this information?

And what about the Description line information?

Are there other lines in the ENG file in the OpenRails folder that aren't used? The Manual implies at ALL lines in the ENG file in an OpenRails folder supersede the lines in the parent folder. If this is not the case then Those exceptions need to be identified.

#8 User is offline   plainsman 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR, MSTS, RS, Trainz

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

cr-stagg, on 14 April 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

Your explanation makes sense. But creating an Activity is not the first thing I do when I install a new ENG. Since I already had a MSTS version of this ENG I need some way to insure OR was using the new engine. That is why I changed the Name line. Finding the name listed was from the original; I ran it anyway but still had no definite indication that OR was using the ENG file written for OR. So I then edited the Mass line in the original ENG to less than half of its original value and ran the engine again. The info for Mass in the HUD did not change. Only then did I have an indication that OR was actually using the data from the OpenRails folder ENG file.

You have a point that when modifying an ENG in this way the Name line in the Original needs some indication that it has OR physics. I had already begun using the #OR at the beginning of the Name line for ENGs that are OR only such as the Dekosoft GP30s.

So, if you are saying that OR displaying the Name line from the original file and not the file in the OpenRails folder is not a Bug, are you going to update section 8 of the Manual with this information?

And what about the Description line information?

Are there other lines in the ENG file in the OpenRails folder that aren't used? The Manual implies at ALL lines in the ENG file in an OpenRails folder supersede the lines in the parent folder. If this is not the case then Those exceptions need to be identified.

Is there anyway the OR menu could make a color distinction for files with OR specific physics, or files with a dual folder? That way the names would agree, but the color would cue the knowledge of specific physics?
Bob

#9 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:38 AM

plainsman, on 14 April 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

Is there anyway the OR menu could make a color distinction for files with OR specific physics, or files with a dual folder? That way the names would agree, but the color would cue the knowledge of specific physics?
Bob

Great idea Bob. Or maybe just a different font. Maybe italic for OR physics. I have already implemented a Consist naming convention of using a # to begin the Name of a Consist with ENG(s) with OR Physics. That puts them at the beginning of a Consist list in ConBuilder and in OR. Have not looked in the MSTS AE yet.

#10 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:37 AM

cr-stagg, on 14 April 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

Yes, the update in the internal copy was there few time after your first post :clapping:
Referring to the description part, I agree that it would be better to optionally have the possibility to have a specific one for the OR .eng file. If you want, you can file a bug report for this. I don't know however if it would be considered for correction within release 1.0.
Bob's idea is a good one in my opinion too.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users