• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dynamic brake sound. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Fablok 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:40 AM

Gentlemen, I have a case.For some time I listen to the sound of dynamic brakes. Sometimes you can hear them, sometimes they do not hear,sometimes they are delayed. Also sound is modulated not continuous. The case concerns the sounds inside and the outside of the locomotive. Can it be possible to somehow modify it to hear a continuous sound ?

#2 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

Are not the sounds, dynamic brake included a function of how the the engine sounds are coded in the engines associated files and really has nothing to do with Open Rails?
In other words, Open Rails simply plays the sounds according to the way the engine sound files are coded by the author.
Reason I ask is because different engines all seem to produce different sounds and different implementation of the dynamic brake sound. Some good, some not so good.

regards,
vince

#3 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

Dynamic brakes only work within a very limited speed range. The original D9 of MSTS had dynamic brakes, but there was a bug and I've long forgotten the workaround. Dynamic brakes can only be switched on at very low speed. They are also only effective, as I said over a narrow speed range. Perhaps a professional with experience might explain, or you could google a question.

I assume, and it wasn't apparent in the default D9, that when the D B came on so did the cooling system fans.

Cheers Bazza.

#4 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:59 PM

Fablok, on 07 April 2015 - 06:40 AM, said:

Can it be possible to somehow modify it to hear a continuous sound ?

For a general question a general answer: Dynamic sound, as all other sounds, can be programmed in the engine's associated .sms.

#5 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:34 PM

Yes, it's only a matter of correctly programming the .sms file. The original D9 dynamic brake sound, instead, plays loudly when inserting it, but then fades out. But it is only a problem of the .sms file.

#6 User is offline   Fablok 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:26 AM

Thanks for reply :o

#7 User is offline   cuontv 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

captain_bazza, on 07 April 2015 - 07:27 PM, said:

Dynamic brakes only work within a very limited speed range. The original D9 of MSTS had dynamic brakes, but there was a bug and I've long forgotten the workaround. Dynamic brakes can only be switched on at very low speed. They are also only effective, as I said over a narrow speed range. Perhaps a professional with experience might explain, or you could google a question.

I assume, and it wasn't apparent in the default D9, that when the D B came on so did the cooling system fans.

Cheers Bazza.

On US DC propulsion locomotives the dynamic brake's effective range starts at around 30 mph all the way down to about 10 mph and is ineffective on either side of that range. With a properly written .sms file the cooling fan noise will be most noticeable between those speeds and usually the loudest at the mid point since the cooling fans are working the hardest to dissipate heat. The volume should taper off as the speed drops. In the locomotives I've been on you can engage them above or below that range but will hear or feel no effect and a properly coded .eng file will reflect this. Later model locomotives equipped with extended range dynamic braking remain effective down to about 3 mph. There are additional variations of dynamic braking (such as tapered) providing additional speed control but for this discussion dynamic brake sounds should be evident in the speed ranges mentioned. Some improperly coded .sms files will provide screaming dynamic brakes at 60 mph when in reality you would not hear since being outside the operating range.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users