Elvas Tower: Documentation changes - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Documentation changes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:00 PM

In an attempt to normalise the way we provide documentation, I've moved all the files that used to be in Documentation in to Source\Documentation (where the Manual already was). I have also added an automatic build step to the testing and stable builds (that's weekly and official releases) which converts everything in Source\Documentation in to a PDF in Program\Documentation and the whole directory is included in downloads. The manual PDF is still uploaded to the website every week.

As a result, I would recommend that anyone who's contributed a PDF document in the past and still has the source document to please swap that PDF with the source document in Subversion. This will enable all of us to edit all documentation more easily while still providing users with simple PDFs.

The following formats are currently enabled for conversion:

• .doc, .docx, .docm
  • .xls, .xlsx, .xlsm
  • .ppt, .pptx, .pptm
  • .odt
  • .odp
  • .odc

#2 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:27 PM

Speaking of "The manual PDF is still uploaded to the website every week." The web site http://www.openrails...-and-tutorials/ says "download the manual - dated 03-Apr-2015" But when one downloads from that URL the cover page says as of March 1, 2015.

#3 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:34 PM

View Postcr-stagg, on 05 April 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

Speaking of "The manual PDF is still uploaded to the website every week." The web site http://www.openrails...-and-tutorials/ says "download the manual - dated 03-Apr-2015" But when one downloads from that URL the cover page says as of March 1, 2015.

The date on the website is the date it was last uploaded to the website, where as the date inside the manual is when someone last updated the content. It's pretty much the same as uploading the testing versions every week - even if we did no work for a week, there'd be a new zip file made and uploaded, with a new date, but when you downloaded it the version number would be the same. :whistling:

I could reword the website to make that clearer, if you've got any suggestions?

#4 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 05 April 2015 - 02:34 PM, said:

The date on the website is the date it was last uploaded to the website, where as the date inside the manual is when someone last updated the content. It's pretty much the same as uploading the testing versions every week - even if we did no work for a week, there'd be a new zip file made and uploaded, with a new date, but when you downloaded it the version number would be the same. :whistling:

I could reword the website to make that clearer, if you've got any suggestions?

Something needs to be reworded because I and how many others have wasted Dave Nelson's bandwidth downloading a file we already have.

#5 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:39 PM

View Postcr-stagg, on 05 April 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

Something needs to be reworded because I and how many others have wasted Dave Nelson's bandwidth downloading a file we already have.

We're hosted by UKTrainSim and - so far - bandwidth hasn't been a concern. Also, if you're being that picky, the testing version (the weekly build) includes the manual and all the other documentation. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users