• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Activity Editor Crash Model to heavy? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Hack 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

Hi guys,

While working with my latest F-Unit for ORTS, I had a feeling it would never load in MSTS, and just as I suspected it wouldn't (even with a single LOD with one 1024 x 1024 texture). However, I got to thinking what of the Activity Editor? So I gave it a shot, and sure enough AE crashed and burned. Is this to be expected for a high poly model? :)

FWIW, the finished model contains 94k+ polys (created in GMax), has 5 LODs and a basic hierarchy with sorted window alpha, animated roof fans (5), and a small freightanim with around 12 polys. Textures are two 2048 x 2048 main files, along with a single 512 x 512 font sheet and 32 x 32 common black ACE. All faces are textured, and none to their edges.

Normally I wouldn't have given it mush thought, but I believe AE is the only game in town when creating activities for ORTS, no?

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

The only way round that is to use a normal MSTS model in the AE, and manually change the consist afterwards. Or if just making a consist use something else, Conbuilder or Convoi are two that spring to mind along with Route Riter.

#3 User is offline   Hack 

• Engineer

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

Thanks. That's what I'm trying now. I exported the model with the minimum of polys, even less than the V4 sets, and I think there's a corrupted part (or parts) somewhere.

#4 User is offline   Jeffrey Kraus-Yao 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:Microsoft Train Simulator

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

Erased.

#5 User is offline   Hack 

• Engineer

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:16 PM

No messages loading ORTS.

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:02 AM

There should be a simpler way. You put the .eng file of your model in an OpenRails folder that you create within the folder of your trainset.
In the base folder of your trainset you put the .eng file (with the same name) of a working MSTS version (it can also be a dummy one, with dummy shape file). OR will refer to version within the OpenRails folder, and MSTS will refer to version within the base folder.

#7 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:07 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 25 March 2015 - 12:02 AM, said:

There should be a simpler way. You put the .eng file of your model in an OpenRails folder that you create within the folder of your trainset.
In the base folder of your trainset you put the .eng file (with the same name) of a working MSTS version (it can also be a dummy one, with dummy shape file). OR will refer to version within the OpenRails folder, and MSTS will refer to version within the base folder.

I only use one eng file that also has ORTS parameters in it. That does not stop MSTS or any of the editors from working. What does make the AE and the game stop running is a very high poly model or one that contains an error. In the end it is easier to redo a consist than have extra folders and files.

#8 User is offline   Hack 

• Engineer

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:17 AM

Thanks for the help, guys. I decided the best thing to do is break the unit into basic elements of < 3K. Funny thing is, my v4 sets have as many as 8500 polys for the parent without issues, but for some reason I get GMax nastygrams when I push over the 3k limit for the parent (using simple cubes as child objects for testing). The only thing different this time is that the objects were modeled in Max and imported to GMax as native 3ds, so perhaps there's something wrong with the original Descreet plugin? :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users