• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can't Start Acela What am I doing wrong? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:20 AM

I haven't ever spent much time running electric engines and even less with the Acela, but now we have a son . . . Last night he declared he wanted to drive one of the fast ones, so I set him up on NEC4. I tried the "Acela to Philadelphia Express" activity, but he couldn't get out of Union Station. So I restarted the activity, put up the pantagraph, got a green signal and an ok to proceed and tried to open up the throttle - to no effect. It appeared I was getting an emergency brake application. I tried the initialize brake command and the brakes released and immediately got another emergency brake application again.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong here?

thanks
Christopher

#2 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:43 AM

Hi Chris,

Did you hit P to put up the pantograph first? You should be able to hear it go up.

Paul :-)

#3 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:37 AM

conductorchris, on 22 March 2015 - 04:20 AM, said:

I haven't ever spent much time running electric engines and even less with the Acela, but now we have a son . . . Last night he declared he wanted to drive one of the fast ones, so I set him up on NEC4. I tried the "Acela to Philadelphia Express" activity, but he couldn't get out of Union Station. So I restarted the activity, put up the pantagraph, got a green signal and an ok to proceed and tried to open up the throttle - to no effect. It appeared I was getting an emergency brake application. I tried the initialize brake command and the brakes released and immediately got another emergency brake application again.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong here?

thanks
Christopher

Hi Christopher,

I need more information to solve your problem.
Please can you provide the version of Open Rails you are running?

Okay, I note you have raised the pantograph ( which in any case would never apply the emergency brake if neglected! ) and have released released the brakes.

Please be sure the brakes are fully released ( brake cylinder at zero PSI on right hand dual guage red needle )
Also I seem to recall there was a version of the Acela that did have a problem with the alerter not sounding a warning resulting in a emergency application.

The keyboard 'Z' key is the alerter reset and if not pressed within a certain time limit (seconds really) the emergency brakes will apply.

Please have the F4 Track Monitor Panel open as it will tell you the reason for the emergency application.

Regards,
vince
Edit add: I just loaded up and tried the activity and had no problems leaving on time.
I'm running OR version X2940.

#4 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:12 AM

Hi,
I just tried the same activity in X2936, and it starts OK. My Acela.eng file is dated 2002/05/27, which I think is the original file.
I did notice that the train brakes have to be released twice ( ; key ). But there was no emergency braking.

Cheers,
Sid

#5 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:04 AM

Hi Again,
I just went back to the Acela activity, and remembered that it may have alerter signals. The General option "Alerter in Cab" should be checked, and the user has to press the Z key to acknowledge the alerter, or the emergency brakes are applied.

Sid.

#6 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

Thanks Vince and Sid. Might indeed be the alerter - will have to check later. And vince, thanks for the tip about the track monitor showing why the emergency brake application. I didn't know it did that and didn't have it open.

I'm on open rails 2930 right now.

Christopher

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users