Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Testing OR-specific engine files Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Tyler Bundy 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:56 AM

There are a few threads on this subject here, so forgive me for starting a new topic. I felt it would be better to start a new subject because I don't want the discussion to be limited to existing specific topics. I actually wrote this entire post for the Headlights and Trainspotter thread but figured it would be better off on its own.

I've done a few experiments with the sphere of light (Type (1)). Ideally, it would be awesome to have the ability to have multiple light cones but I'm not yet aware of how much load it would put on the program. At some point we may have that but for now its a cheaters game.

My jury is still out on the best Radius and Angle for the cone, though I've been using a Radius ( 50.0 ) and Angle ( 15.0 ). Rather than using the Time of Day (2) condition, I have opted to lower the candlepower of the Sphere of Light, using 40 for dim and 80 for bright: ( 80ffffca ). Using the Time of Day does work, but it creates a sudden and drastic change when that time is reached rather than a smooth transition that our eyes are used to with light sources. Using a candlepower of 80 has minimized the daytime view while also providing more than enough light to run at night.

A pleasant surprise with OR code is that Azimuth and Elevation will alter the light cone in a different way than MSTS, allowing for more realistic Mars and Gyralite simulations. I've been using about a maximum of 5.0 degrees in the Azimuth and Elevation controls to get the sphere of light to move in a circle or figure-8 pattern. It's pretty fun.

I've included an example of some of the ongoing experimentation. These revised files fit sbde7s.zip (SAL EMD E7) at trainsim.com. I've done far more work to Gaetan and Rick's BLW payware offerings, but since this is a WIP I figure it would be best to offer an example that is freely downloadable and I'm hoping I haven't violated or offended anyone by offering this. I can credit the work back to the original authors, Dick Cowen and Bill Hemb, but most of their original work has been altered. I'm sure a dozen individuals have contributed directly or indirectly, but a shout-out to Bob Boudoin, Bill Prieger, and Joe Realmuto for making these alterations and experiments much easier. And the OR guys for giving us a reason to grow.

Feel free to alter and discuss the changes I've presented here. I can assure you that I have altered some things that OR doesn't even read, but I would rather have done too much than too little. I'm also well aware that some of my numbers are actually made up from thin air (mainly brakes) based upon my experience running locomotives. As I said, its all up for discussion. I don't have the knowledge to fully understand the physics at work, and the process of that learning makes my brain hurt after a few hours. :)

The folder OpenRails goes directly into your SAL3025 folder, and should sit between the Cabview and Sound folders. Thankfully, you can drop this into the folder, not affect the original files, and OR will prioritize the OpenRails folder over the original SAL3025 folder. One thing I did notice: Open Rails will read the display name of the original file in the SAL3025 folder even if you alter it in the OpenRails folder. All other info seems to be automatically parsed from the new OpenRails folder.

I use Ron Furto's E-unit sounds and the cab is Brad Bailey's E-unit cab that has had the name altered in the Cabview folder to suit the engine file. You can find both of these in the trainsim.com file library. The files I have included have a 9-notch throttle (idle-8) and a 7-position 24RL brake controller that probably won't work with Raildriver. Since this is a test and not a release, I'm not going to provide full support for inexperienced users. Information on how to change sounds and cabview is readily available to those who search.

BTW-I just realized these engine files have not actually received the "full treatment" but there are enough valuable alterations to hereby submit for testing and discussion anyway. My copies of the BLW Monon sets and BLW SAL set have been altered even more. I will do a further update on the SAL E7s this afternoon. If there is a large request by the community to use different locomotives for testing, we'll try to agree upon something that everyone can access and use. I have several original TSM models uploaded to trainsim.com that we can use as much as you want, but none of them feature a rotating warning light.

Tyler

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Tyler Bundy 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:35 PM

As promised, I went back through these engine files to make sure they were square with the more recent updates I've done. There is a Lightglow.ace repacement for Open Rails here in the ET library. I use that as a reference for all of my light edits. I have to re-install it every week when I update Open Rails.

Different from the files above, I added Bill Prieger's Pro-pack 4 couplers, made some brake changes, and adjusted the power output of the twin engines. They are now set at a full 1000hp each. I see that OR has some sort of variable adhesion/output formula that plays along next to the hp output in the F5 view. Is this a replacement for trimming hp off of engines or a true adhesion-to-the-rail monitor? The air-compressor and aux generator can steal power from the engine, so maybe I'm wrong to give them a full 1000hp each.

As I've said before, some of the brake numbers came out of thin air, so feel free to debate/provide more correct numbers. I used 4.4 for release and 2.5 for application on both the brake cylinder and brake controllers. In reality, these would be different.
The train brakes controller allows for 4 positions, each with a definitive rate of application or release: Quick Release, Release, Application, and Emergency. Each position should have a somewhat definitive answer for the numbers I've questioned above. The Release and Application positions have very controlled rates of release and application due to the automatic propagation of the air signal down the train. They also should only affect the Equalizing Reservoir so, in my theory, a fixed rate of air is either vented from or applied to the Equalizing Reservoir without regard to the length of train. The length of train will affect how long the brake pipe takes to match the Eq Res.

Quick Release is a broken setting only in that it is limited by the maximum brake pipe pressure and not by the main reservoir as it should be. Accidentally overcharging the train brake is not something that most people would want to or know how to deal with so it may be best left the way it is. At least it does "open a wider hole" for charging the brake pipe. In real life, this position is used with caution.

Emergency is a really big hole. It does what it's supposed to do in all simulators that I'm aware of. There is an OR bug that involves penalty applications and lights. We'll get to that soon.

In the Wagon section, there are more brake parameters. There is no triple valve on a locomotive, but a more complex brake controller unit serves a similar purpose. I really think the application and release rates on a locomotive's brake cylinders are much higher than the 4.4 and 2.5 setting I currently have. I think the Engine Brakes Controller parameters are probably better used to control the rate of increase or decrease of the brake cylinder. That said, I have no idea what the actual numbers would be. My best guess at this point is watching a brake cylinder apply and release while counting the seconds and reversing the math. I don't consider that to be a very "scientific" approach, so I certainly leave this all up to discussion. Though I've worked on and around trains for many years, I've never been an engineer in the railroad or design sense. It's only now that I've been engaged and interested enough to learn how this stuff actually works.

I don't know if an E7 has Auxiliary and Emergency Reservoirs. I guess I assumed that the Main Reservoir handled that task. Regardless, they seem to be implemented in some way. Hopefully a wiser soul can set us straight. Also, if they are a necessary part of the nuts and bolts, how can we set them up to behave in a way that mimics a locomotive and not a freight car?

These alterations are only possible with the dedicated work of dozens of community members, past and present. Thanks to everyone who dedicates their time to making this hobby more enjoyable!

Tyler

Attached File(s)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users