Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

System Info in Log file Is all this really necessary? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:35 AM

Sometimes there may be a situation that knowing a person's system configuration might help to understand a problem, but I wonder if the present dump of detailed information is not taking things a little too far.
First of all, there are now a number of reports of people not being able to start OR because of problems with collecting this information.
Also, I do wonder if it is really that important to show, for instance, what soundsystems or how many disks people are using. I do not think that information is of any use to understand problems with OR.
So, in all, I am just wondering if we haven't gone a bit over the top with this, and it's doing more harm than good.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#2 User is offline   firealarmguy 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

Hi, Rob

I believe you have made a very valid point in all this matter. After all, I am one of those people affected by the new logging that looks at the computer configuration, thus resulting in Open Rails to crash. Not fun, and very stressful! I am dealing with this bug as of now. Even by unchecking the logging box, it changes nothing. There are better alternatives than this. For example, if you want to look at your GPU's specs, try GPU-Z, which shows the specs for the card you are currently using. Also, there is the simple method of looking at all the other specs by doing the classic right click properties on the desktop. Hopefully this whole issue gets resolved as soon a possible before version 1 arrives. Also, by the way, with the fact that ORTS crashes when an acitvity starts up, I let the team know about this bug.

#3 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:33 PM

The information is intended to be comprehensive and similar in nature to that captured by other tools, including dxdiag. The issue with crashes is being investigated, but given that the first sign of problems are corrupted text coming back from a core WinForms API (not even the WMI API) it seems like a problem well outside of our control and not of our making.

X2897 disables the data gathering step when logging is disabled to let people skip it for the moment, but I still want to figure out what's going wrong so that we can avoid it without losing some/all of this information.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users