• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS Wish List -- 2015-02 Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:32 AM

There are other benefits to custom formats too. The first is that it deters the average user from modifying the assets (at least until more experienced and determined individuals produce tools to do so - which is the objective of commercial alternatives), and the second is that you can go from disk to first-use with minimum CPU intervention. I/O will always be the bottleneck for loading that big 3D mesh, but still, every CPU cycle you have to spend transforming its vertices into the coordinate system your engine uses are CPU cycles not spent doing other useful work. Why not have just baked the right coordinate system into the file to begin with. In some cases and on some platforms you might even be able to hand off asset loading to other hardware (say, DMA engines) and not have the CPU interrupted at all. We would just need to build the file converter to go from almost any standard 3D mesh format to the runtime game format.

#12 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:44 AM

View Postlongiron, on 02 February 2015 - 06:32 AM, said:

We would just need to build the file converter to go from almost any standard 3D mesh format to the runtime game format.

For example in glTF format I mentioned above, the mass vertex and index data is stored in binary form, and can be loaded into the DirectX vertex buffers and index buffers directly from disk, without any further processing. (If no compression is applied to it, of course.) Only the high level data, like the hierarchy and animations have to be processed. Probably it is so in some other runtime-intended formats too.

#13 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:44 AM

Lets please continue any discussion about the .geopcdx or .igs file formats in a separate thread here:

http://www.elvastowe...pcdx-igs-files/

#14 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

An activity editor capable of discarding finally the stupid MSTS Activity Editor, I can't do anything as it gives me a black screen and shuts down... xD

And the usual comment from a couple of months ago, an exporter from 3dsmax to ORTS.

#15 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

View PostGuille592, on 08 February 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

An activity editor capable of discarding finally the stupid MSTS Activity Editor, I can't do anything as it gives me a black screen and shuts down... xD
And the usual comment from a couple of months ago, an exporter from 3dsmax to ORTS.
A bit off topic but have you tried setting the video card screen resolution of your system to 16 bit mode?

#16 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

View Postvince, on 08 February 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

A bit off topic but have you tried setting the video card screen resolution of your system to 16 bit mode?

Tried that long time ago, didn't worked for me... :D

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users