• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Odd question Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ricktrains4824 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rails Train Simulator

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

Okay, this may seem a bit odd, but I have noticed that where I would almost always derail on MSTS, especially certain routes, under certain weather conditions, and at certain speeds, I will not in OR. So, for fun, I tested on one of my routes, and could not derail at all! Even did the "run off the end of the track" trick. No derailments, it just stopped the train, and kept me on the tracks! Is it flat-out impossible to derail in OR? You get the "Warning" about being to fast for this curve thing, but then?.........
Like I said, Odd question, but, just happened to notice, so tried to, and couldn't, and am now curious....

#2 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

As mentioned before but ORTS development will not be like MSTS and Railworks allowing derailments even with options to turn on and off. Yea it is odd how it acts on immediate situations like you said at end of track as well as collisions coupling too fast or even head on.

Would be great to have to test an improve are skills to real world standards visual or not visual of impacts but it's the development teams decision to have or not have. But I like many would like to hear their opinions on this as well as work things out in ideas since visual impacts are too life like scary to them even if options can be on/off like MSTS. I even wonder what happened to the speed limit curve dependent warning where it said my train has bounced off the rail.

#3 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:56 PM

Even though trains do crash what's the sense in spending development time to model a crash? I'd prefer accurate simulation minus the gory details thank you.

best
vince

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:09 AM

View PostATW, on 31 January 2015 - 09:36 PM, said:

[...]

I even wonder what happened to the speed limit curve dependent warning where it said my train has bounced off the rail.

There is an Option to turn it off and on, located on the experimental tab of ORTS' Options menu. Maybe somthing was changed there?

Cheers, Markus

#5 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:24 AM

Yes I have that on with no problem but just get the message I'm traveling too fast for a curve an to slow down. Back when it was introduced there was also a message at times saying my train has bounced off the rails as in derailed.

#6 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

Maybe that text got changed or removed. I just recall some recent change to this text when last dealing with the German translation, but I can´t recall what it was. Someone of the coders will have to answer that, I´m sorry.

Cheers, Markus

#7 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:47 PM

View PostRicktrains4824, on 31 January 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

Okay, this may seem a bit odd, but I have noticed that where I would almost always derail on MSTS, especially certain routes, under certain weather conditions, and at certain speeds, I will not in OR. So, for fun, I tested on one of my routes, and could not derail at all! Even did the "run off the end of the track" trick. No derailments, it just stopped the train, and kept me on the tracks! Is it flat-out impossible to derail in OR? You get the "Warning" about being to fast for this curve thing, but then?.........
Like I said, Odd question, but, just happened to notice, so tried to, and couldn't, and am now curious....

AS I understand it, from previous enquiries on derailments, this is the intended behavioir. OR is intended to be a train sim for serious railway people, to such people train accicents are usually a sacking offence and not allowed, so such is not modeled in OR.

A second point in in a computor game collision detection is on of THE most difficult things to do correctly and requireing much code, A railway by its very nature of being tracked ONLY allows controlled collisions (shunting etc) so in sim this is easy to allow for. Allowiance for proper collisions thoough would end up being an emmence amount of work that would only pander to those users seeking "thrills" OR never was intended for this kind of person.

Lindsay

#8 User is offline   Ricktrains4824 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rails Train Simulator

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

Ok, that answers my question.
Really was just making sure I didn't have something set funny, because if that was, what else did I have set funny?..... Didn't want any surprises later on. But when I looked, I couldn't find anything in settings. The answer explains why.
And, FWIW, I do like it not derailing. Nothing worse than being 2 MPH Overspeed downgrade in the snow, 1 hour into a run, and jumping track on a curve. That got old real fast on MSTS. (Yes, two of my routes WERE that touchy on MSTS. That's what got me wondering in the first place... Had the "OH NO! I forgot to save back there...." Moment and, nothing happened....That's Kinda nice. Then had the "magic stop here bumper" thing, after not placing the "Activity Ends here" in the right location on an activity I tried making, and went hmm... Do I have something set funny for this?)
Thanks again,
Ricky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users