Elvas Tower: Texturing a Model with .dds, and a issue with it - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Texturing a Model with .dds, and a issue with it HOPE This can go here? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

This, doesn't really pertain to MSTS creation as we're working with .DDS files, but, none the less...

I like the concept of the .DDS file and all that, however I have a significant.. Issue.. With the GIMP plugin and I cannot explain it...

I decided to take the Streamlines Amfleet I coach and make a Business Class coach, and the cafe to the Northeast Regional logo. Did fine with the .ace and all, and I go to do the same for the .DDS, and that's where the problem occurs. And I can't explain -how-.

Opening the .dds in GIMP looks, fine honestly. Amfleet looks as Amfleet should, but when I run it in OR, the following happens to it:

http://i.imgur.com/UiSiWwW.png

Yet the actual .dds file, is normal Amfleet colors... Anyone got any idea what's up with this?

Side Note: Uhm. Out of WILD Curiosity,w ould anyone be interested in me releasing them colored like this as a say, Fictional Amtrak Phase IVc? XD

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

View PostKazareh, on 30 January 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

Opening the .dds in GIMP looks, fine honestly. Amfleet looks as Amfleet should, but when I run it in OR, the following happens to it:

http://i.imgur.com/UiSiWwW.png

Yet the actual .dds file, is normal Amfleet colors... Anyone got any idea what's up with this?

So you've given a picture of the incorrect display but not the correct, so I'm guessing here that the colours are in some way mixed up. If that's the case, have you tried an alternative means of creating the DDS texture (e.g. conversion program) or alternative options when saving it (if GIMP gives you any)? There's many different ways images can be stored in DDS (just like ACE) and it's entirely possible that GIMP is choosing one that it messes up or which is dubious in some way. I would generally trust the display rather than any image editor for what's correct, FWIW, since we're using DirectX and not editing the images during load, and DDS is a DirectX file format. :)

#3 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 30 January 2015 - 03:08 PM, said:

So you've given a picture of the incorrect display but not the correct, so I'm guessing here that the colours are in some way mixed up. If that's the case, have you tried an alternative means of creating the DDS texture (e.g. conversion program) or alternative options when saving it (if GIMP gives you any)? There's many different ways images can be stored in DDS (just like ACE) and it's entirely possible that GIMP is choosing one that it messes up or which is dubious in some way. I would generally trust the display rather than any image editor for what's correct, FWIW, since we're using DirectX and not editing the images during load, and DDS is a DirectX file format. :)

I didn't bother with the 'correct' display, as the correct one I see when opening gimp of the raw .dds file is normal colored... The green on the Amfleet is blue, so on so forth. And I have no real way of saving the file and preserving the alpha channel in any other formats, nor will TGAtool2 even save .ace's anymore of -any- size... So unfortunately, if all we can say is 'it's a mystery why'... I guess I'm going to have to give up content creation entirely since it would seem Windows 7 brings more problems than solutions with MSTS/OR Content Creation..

#4 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:18 AM

View PostKazareh, on 30 January 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

I didn't bother with the 'correct' display, as the correct one I see when opening gimp of the raw .dds file is normal colored... The green on the Amfleet is blue, so on so forth.

It's always better to include the correct or expected output when you have it (and to explain what was expected when you don't) otherwise you're forcing everyone who looks at the bug to figure out what the correct/expected output is (which means more overall work). :sign_welcome:

View PostKazareh, on 30 January 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

And I have no real way of saving the file and preserving the alpha channel in any other formats, nor will TGAtool2 even save .ace's anymore of -any- size... So unfortunately, if all we can say is 'it's a mystery why'... I guess I'm going to have to give up content creation entirely since it would seem Windows 7 brings more problems than solutions with MSTS/OR Content Creation..

Paint.NET can save DDS files too, so why not try that? You seem to be very much in the mind-set of "if the one thing I tried doesn't work, I give up", and also seem to be blaming unrelated things for the problems you're having. If you're not willing to try anything else, as I've suggested, you are going to have to give up on getting the results you want - but you will also not be in a position to explain why you aren't getting the results you want, as no investigation has occurred.

#5 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

In gimp you can choose compression format, you need to select either BC1/BC2/BC3 compression (and generate mipmap too!), depending on which type of alpha do you use.

#6 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

Kazarah, FYI, James lives in England and like other international folks on this board is probably less familiar with expected amfleet colors.

I use TGATool2 with no problems on windows 7 or windows 8. You aren't trying to run it from the programs folder are you? Not saving could mean you need to run it as administrator. I trust you followed the special instructions for installing MSTS in Windows 7 as found at steam4me.net? They may also be necessary for TGATool2, no sure. But it should work fine.

Christopher

#7 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:03 AM

View Postconductorchris, on 02 February 2015 - 05:16 PM, said:

Kazarah, FYI, James lives in England and like other international folks on this board is probably less familiar with expected amfleet colors.

I use TGATool2 with no problems on windows 7 or windows 8. You aren't trying to run it from the programs folder are you? Not saving could mean you need to run it as administrator. I trust you followed the special instructions for installing MSTS in Windows 7 as found at steam4me.net? They may also be necessary for TGATool2, no sure. But it should work fine.

Christopher

I'll be sure to do that then and try it.. I'm running TGAtool2 out of it's default install location *Shrug* I knew that applied for MSTS, but wouldn't think it'd apply for say, that program. I'll get back to you on whether it works or not.

James: Look up Streamlines.ca pack for Amfleets,

Disc: Can you explain that a bit more?

#8 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:07 AM

View PostKazareh, on 03 February 2015 - 02:03 AM, said:

Disc: Can you explain that a bit more?

In gimp when you're exporting to DDS, the exporter will shows you the options. There at compression you need to set those that i wrote: Attached Image: gimpdds.jpg
DXT1 if you use punchthrough alpha (TexDiff), DXT3 or DXT5 if you use normal alpha (blendatexdiff).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users