Elvas Tower: Going into Emergency and Freezing - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Going into Emergency and Freezing Maybe it's a bug, or maybe the bug is with the users? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

When I have had Open Rails running at public events a continuing problem is something provokes the train to go into emergency and then it's stuck and simulator seems to freeze.

This is not the normal behavior when I drive, but (1) I actually don't do all that much running and (2) I have a far more experienced hand on the throttle than the kids (mostly) who come to shows, and (3) I like to use a different computer for displays than my personal computer.

I'm trying to figure out what causes the train to do into emergency in the first place and then why does open rails freeze up completely and become non-responsive.

Often I can see that the instinctual act of the public when trying to drive is to throw the brakes into full power (emergency). But at other times, it seems something else tripped an emergency brake application. Most recently I saw this at low speed, beginning an activity on the L&HR route ("LHR_NE-3") right at the beginning when coming out of the engine house as the activity started. Could there be an issue with emergency applications happening when the locomotive runs off path? I don't even know what the path is and can't check it because MSTS is not functional right now.

And then once it has gone into emergency, I would think Open Rails should let them pump up the brakes, file a delay report and continue on. But instead it seems I have to restart the program. Keys have become non-responsive (for example I can't switch them from an outside view to cabview).

I haven't had time for a lot of testing about this, but I wonder if this is a known issue(s) or if there are obvious things I haven't been doing right?

thanks
Christopher

#2 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

I continue to test and have duplicated the problem. This time the going into emergency braking seemed to occur when switching camera views. Maybe. Possible that it occurred when running off a path. Possible that it occurred when reversing, trying to switch or braking that was not emergency braking.

As before, there seems to be nothing I can do to remove the emergency braking.

Christopher

#3 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Hi Chris,

Definitely the problem, any time OR runs off the path in "auto" it will go into emerg. If you need to go off a path, while the engine is still stationary you need to hit Ctrl + M, that puts you in Manual Mode and the only thing that will put you into emerg is if you tun through a switch that isn't set for you.

If I was going to take Open Rails to a show I'd be temped to set up a \n activity from end to end with one path and let the people play with the throttle and brake but not the switches. OR opens in Auto mode where it needs to follow a path, so YOU might want to be the one to control an engine in manual as part of the demonstration to get the engine to your train, pump up the brakes, switch back to Auto, get the train moving and give control to someone when the trains on a path.

Hmmm, there is a key to release the emergency brake, then pump up the air again, someone else will have to tell you the proper way, I just stumbled on it... there's a lot of swearing in my version.

Just a thought.

Paul :-)

#4 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:14 PM

In my experience, Paul, swearing when the train goes into emergency is very prototypical and realistic.
Christopher

#5 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

Hi Chris,

Well, I try!

Ctrl + M (as well) to release the Emergency Brake, then you have to pump your air back up.

Paul :-)

#6 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

Paul,
It's not realistic, but try:
1. Ctrl-M
2. Move the brake lever to release position, wait for the pressure start rising then
3. Type Shift+ / ("Initialize Brakes")

Sid.

#7 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for these tips.
I need something like this, so I can look over when some kid has accidentally dumped the air while I wasn't looking and then I can just fix it.
Christopher

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users