Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

X.2747 Update failed Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

Earlier today I tried to update the latest version of Open Rails with X.2747 but got the message " Update check failed " The automatic update was working till now and not sure what caused this but I wrote down from the error message so you can see what is the problem with this? Look below:

System.I0.InvalidDataExeception: Last update check failed.

Now my question is that how to get this error fixed? Can I remove the " Updater Application, Updater Configuration Settings, Updater.PDB file and Updater XML Document " from the program of Open Rails or leave it alone? I don't know if that is a bug or not. Not sure if other members have the same problem that I have.

Thank you,

John

#2 User is offline   EricF 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / Sometimes MSTS

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:56 PM

I updated to X2746 this morning, and this evening it's still sitting on the same version even though a check on http://openrails.azu.../code/revisions shows the version is up to X2748 now. No upgrade indicator appeared in the top-right corner as it usually does. I tried manually triggering the updater from the Tools pull-down and it tried to run, but didn't make any changes in the main application folder. I got only a few files in the "\Open Rails Updater Temporary Files\UpdateDirty" folder on my hard drive -- but it doesn't look like a full update came in. A second try by just running Updater.exe gave the same results.

Edit: Working OK now in the morning... Thanks to whoever fixed the update server!

#3 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:22 AM

View Postjpmackay, on 30 December 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

Earlier today I tried to update the latest version of Open Rails with X.2747 but got the message " Update check failed " The automatic update was working till now and not sure what caused this but I wrote down from the error message so you can see what is the problem with this? Look below:

System.I0.InvalidDataExeception: Last update check failed.

Now my question is that how to get this error fixed? Can I remove the " Updater Application, Updater Configuration Settings, Updater.PDB file and Updater XML Document " from the program of Open Rails or leave it alone? I don't know if that is a bug or not. Not sure if other members have the same problem that I have.

I have seen that error message before but I'm not sure yet what the real cause is. Generally speaking you should just wait for it to perform the next check or if you open the Options and click OK (don't need to change anything) it'll do another check right then.

View PostEricF, on 30 December 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

I updated to X2746 this morning, and this evening it's still sitting on the same version even though a check on http://openrails.azu.../code/revisions shows the version is up to X2748 now. No upgrade indicator appeared in the top-right corner as it usually does. I tried manually triggering the updater from the Tools pull-down and it tried to run, but didn't make any changes in the main application folder. I got only a few files in the "\Open Rails Updater Temporary Files\UpdateDirty" folder on my hard drive -- but it doesn't look like a full update came in. A second try by just running Updater.exe gave the same results.

Edit: Working OK now in the morning... Thanks to whoever fixed the update server!

The updater deliberately throttles checks to once per 24 hours. It uses your own local time to sync this up, meaning that the first run of the day is likely the one where it actually checks for an update. For the rest of the day, it will not check again, but if it detected an update that will continue to be shown until you actually update. However, there's a trick: open the Options and click OK (don't need to change anything). This will force it to do another check and, if a new version has appeared, you'll be able to update to it.

I recommend people not abusing this too much, as the 24 update period is chosen to avoid any potential overloading of the update server whilst ensuring that people can stay up to date day-by-day.

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

Is there any good reason for the auto update to exist at this point in development?
Usually updates do not roll out as often as in OR. Is it so hard to open a web page and download the newest update manually?
I'm just mentioning because the auto updater seems to be unruly much of the time.
Personally, never use it. Download the supporters download or from the automatic builds if I want something very current. Never had a problem.

#5 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 01 January 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

Is there any good reason for the auto update to exist at this point in development?
Usually updates do not roll out as often as in OR. Is it so hard to open a web page and download the newest update manually?
I'm just mentioning because the auto updater seems to be unruly much of the time.
Personally, never use it. Download the supporters download or from the automatic builds if I want something very current. Never had a problem.

Happy New Year!

I'd prefer to keep it as it is now. Being that I'm mostly involved in building a route http://www.trainsim....php?albumid=248 I need the latest OR lashup to keep current with my current route build. I use the x daily ( sometimes several times a day! ) updater because I must keep the route 'in sync' making sure that graphics, pathing and timetable are working/display as I expect. A glitch at this stage can come from me or OR. Easier to nail a bug at an early stage. I feel that a user of the weekly update contributes to the Sims development in the area of train control and needs a more stable version. Witness the wonderful development of timetable and braking systems control in recent weeks.

Keep as is.
IIABDFI

Best to all,
vince

#6 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:08 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 01 January 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

I don't understand your view here; there are 600-700 update checks and 100-200 downloads per day on my website alone. People will have three different update speeds once we get to 1.0 as well: stable (1.0, 1.1, etc.), supports' download (once per week), and my automatic builds.

There have been occasional problems but it's overwhelmingly a success as far as I can see.

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:18 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 02 January 2015 - 05:08 AM, said:

I don't understand your view here; there are 600-700 update checks and 100-200 downloads per day on my website alone. People will have three different update speeds once we get to 1.0 as well: stable (1.0, 1.1, etc.), supports' download (once per week), and my automatic builds.

There have been occasional problems but it's overwhelmingly a success as far as I can see.

Auto update is one of the many keys of the success of OR.

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

Well the above three posts are informative and educational....so my (uninformed) opinion is definitely changed...as should be the case with most uninformed opinions. Keep, definitely keep the Update function.

#9 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 02 January 2015 - 05:08 AM, said:

"......................snip..................there are 600-700 update checks and 100-200 downloads per day on my website alone. .....................snip..........................................."

Exactly!

Where else could you hope to have so many folks involved in development testing?

I'm guessing that even a giant like Microsoft coulden't afford to devote such resources to project.

regards,
vince

#10 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

View Postvince, on 02 January 2015 - 01:41 PM, said:

Exactly!

Where else could you hope to have so many folks involved in development testing?

I'm guessing that even a giant like Microsoft coulden't afford to devote such resources to project.

regards,
vince

:) That is just one of the many remarkable aspects of the Open Rails project!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users