• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AI particle/smoke emission is missing after X2491 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

I have been trying out the newer AI features.

The test is comprised of 1 player consist and 4 AI consists on any route for which an activity is created for. [These AI consists MUST start from a tile which the player trains DOES not reside on.]

The most current release I tested with was X2738 which results in a puzzling lack of particle emissions from AI units.

Thanks to the builds located here:
"http://james-ross.co.uk/projects/or/builds"

I tracked the working particle emitter for AI to release x2491, X2492 and beyond do not display particle emissions for AI units. At first I thought that maybe this was an error in an .eng file, but it appears that the code change made to ParticleEmitter.cs [twpol, X2492 Fix for emitter particles being frame-aligned, should improve random feel] is the culprit.

If anybody else would like to verify my results please post your findings here. The two files to download from "http://james-ross.co.uk/projects/or/builds" are:
Open Rails X2491 2014-09-15 19-59-12.zip (should work correctly for AI units)
Open Rails X2492 2014-09-15 21-19-11.zip (does NOT work correctly for AI units)

Thank you James for keeping those old builds available. They are indispensable for tracking down bugs.

************** Important Update **************
If your running AI train starts ON THE SAME tile that your player trains resides, particle/smoke emissions occur as expected. I only tested this particular scenario with ONE AI train.

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:55 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 27 December 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

I tracked the working particle emitter for AI to release x2491, X2492 and beyond do not display particle emissions for AI units. At first I thought that maybe this was an error in an .eng file, but it appears that the code change made to ParticleEmitter.cs [twpol, X2492 Fix for emitter particles being frame-aligned, should improve random feel] is the culprit.

Could you compile (the latest code is fine) with DEBUG_EMITTER_INPUT enabled and see what it prints for the P= value for the AI emitter? Best thing is probably to only have one AI and remove all emitters from the player locomotive if you can. The P= value is the "particles per second" value which, if too low (below 0.1), might be at fault (given the changes in X2492).

#3 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:40 AM

AI diesel emissions are working fine for me in X2738. The loose consist smoking bug is still there, of course, but the AI units behave just like they are supposed to.

#4 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:25 PM

View Postrailguy, on 28 December 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

AI diesel emissions are working fine for me in X2738. The loose consist smoking bug is still there, of course, but the AI units behave just like they are supposed to.

Please specify what hardware and software you are using. AMD/ATI or Nvidia...etc.

When you say AI emissions are working fine in X2738, are you duplicating one player and 4 running AI consists that I mentioned in the OP?

Thanks!

#5 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 28 December 2014 - 02:55 AM, said:

Could you compile (the latest code is fine) with DEBUG_EMITTER_INPUT enabled and see what it prints for the P= value for the AI emitter? Best thing is probably to only have one AI and remove all emitters from the player locomotive if you can. The P= value is the "particles per second" value which, if too low (below 0.1), might be at fault (given the changes in X2492).

At the moment I have no machine available to compile Open Rails. What I can do is arrange a test such that there are no emitters on the player locomotive and with only one running AI lcomotive in the activity see if its emitters are running....I will try this with one and two emitters on the AI locomotive.

Thank you!

#6 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 28 December 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

At the moment I have no machine available to compile Open Rails. What I can do is arrange a test such that there are no emitters on the player locomotive and with only one running AI lcomotive in the activity see if its emitters are running....I will try this with one and two emitters on the AI locomotive.

I don't think that will necessarily tell us anything new, without the debug logging, but you're welcome to try and report back anything interesting.

#7 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 28 December 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

I don't think that will necessarily tell us anything new, without the debug logging, but you're welcome to try and report back anything interesting.

Interesting, perhaps not, but in x2942 with the emitters removed from the player locomotive and only one emitter programmed on the AI locomotive, there are NO particle emissions to be seen. In X2941, things behave as expected, no emissions from the player locomotive, but one emitter is visible on the AI locomotive.

If this is of interest, at the start of the activity, the AI train is not visible because it is located and running several tiles away, I could find out just how many tiles if you would like.

If you could compile the code with the debug info mentioned above I will test and report back in a timely fashion. Just glancing at the code, it could be that the AI locomotive which is not in view, never gets "promoted" to being a possible emitter.

Thanks

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:21 PM

Hi Eldorado,
please try replacing Runactivity.exe and RunactivityLAA.exe with the ones attached here and check if the problem is solved and no new problems have been introduced.
Attached File  Runactivities.zip (1.17MB)
Number of downloads: 137

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:00 PM

Fixed in x2756.

#10 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:40 AM

View PostFrom 03 January 2015 - 12:00 PM:

Fixed in x2756.

Carlo,

I will try and test very carefully the new experimental release. Thank you very much for all your efforts in debugging and compiling/releasing the fix.

Steve

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users