• You cannot reply to this topic

3d Cabs Observation and a Question Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:27 AM

View Postgpz, on 13 December 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

cr-stagg, you may make a reference to any folder, using something like "\\..\\..\\some.folder\\file.cvf". So the files you reference may reside in common.cab, if appropriate.

So then HOW do you "associate" the 2d CVF file and the 3d Shape File for XXXX.eng?

#12 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:53 AM

Exactly the way you described in your post #1: Create the ORTS3DCab() section in .eng file's Wagon() section, and add a CabView ( "cabview.cvf" ) line in the Engine() section.

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:16 PM

View Postgpz, on 13 December 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

Exactly the way you described in your post #1: Create the ORTS3DCab() section in .eng file's Wagon() section, and add a CabView ( "cabview.cvf" ) line in the Engine() section.

I want only to add that such (single) cabview line will be used both by the 2D cab and by the 3D cab. It is not an additional CabView line.

#14 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:45 PM

View Postgpz, on 13 December 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

Would it not be clear to state 3d Cab requirements in this manner?

To have an Engine display a 3 dimensional cab you must:
1. First have a drivable engine with a 2 dimensional cab. e.g. a Cabview line in the ENG file pointing to a .CVF file existing in a sub-folder labeled CABVIEW or in a "Common" folder in the path stated in the Cabview line.
2. A 3D cab described by an .s file and the associated .ace or .dds files; all these files reside in a folder CABVIEW3D within the main folder of the locomotive
3. An ORTSDCabFile block in the Wagon section of the .eng file like the following:
ORTS3DCab(
ORTS3DCabFile ( Cab.s )
ORTS3DCabHeadPos ( -0.9 2.4 5.2 )
RotationLimit ( 40 60 0 )
StartDirection ( 12 0 0 )
Sound ("DF11Gcab.sms" )
)
4. A 3d cab can have multiple instances of the same instruments, for example multiple clocks, speedometers
5. Instruments are first sorted based on their appearance in the .cvf file, for example SPEEDOMETER:0 corresponds to the first speedometer in the .cvf file,
SPEEDOMETER:1 corresponds to the second one
6. An instrument can have multiple subgroups to make the animation realistic, for example, TRAIN_BRAKE:0:0 and TRAIN_BRAKE:0:1 belong to the instrument
TRAIN_BRAKE:0;
7. However, if the instrument is a digital device, the second number will be used to indicate the font size used, for example SPEEDOMETER:1:14 means the second
speedometer (which is digital as defined in .cvf) will be rendered with 14pt font. This may be changed in future OR releases. The important information for a digital device is its location, thus it can be defined as an object with a small single face in the 3D model.
8. Animation ranges must also be in agreement with the .cvf file.

FWIW I ran a little test. I edited the Cabview line to point to a non-existing CVF file for an ENG file with an ORTSDCabFile block and a CABVIEW3D folder with a cab shape file and associated ACE files. Ran Open Rails with that engine in the lead of a consist. OR opened to the #2 view instead of the #1 view. When I hit the #1 key OR displayed an Error saying Cabview not available. But when I keyed ALT-1 the 3d Cab Opened and showed. The sounds worked correctly horn, bell, air, Sand, handle clicks. BUT the handles were not in the correct starting positions and they did not move when adjusted. Example Reverser was in reversed position and did not move when I pressed the D key. However the HUD did show the correct information as I made key strokes.

#15 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

Example Reverser was in reversed position and did not move when I pressed the D key.

It would have been odd if it had moved :lol2: (unless you changed the default settings).
A and D are the throttle keys, W and S are the reverse keys - as I'm sure you know very well. But they're so close together on the keyboard ... :)

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#16 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 13 December 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

I want only to add that such (single) cabview line will be used both by the 2D cab and by the 3D cab. It is not an additional CabView line.

Yes, and the test I described in post #14 confirms that. But it is strange you put the 3d Cab block in the Wagon Section where as the 2d Cabview line is in the Engine section of the ENG file.

#17 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

View Postroeter, on 13 December 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

It would have been odd if it had moved :lol2: (unless you changed the default settings).
A and D are the throttle keys, W and S are the reverse keys - as I'm sure you know very well. But they're so close together on the keyboard ... :)

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

I did not change anything EXCEPT the Cabview line.

BUT the Reverser was NOT in the default position. Too be more precise: The Direction line on the Hud initially showed "N". When I hit the D the Hud showed Forward. S key back to "N". And S key again the Hud showed Reverse. Each time I heard the Click sound. But at no time did the Reverser Handle move from the Reverse position.

Brakes were in the fully released position. Throttle was in notch 8. Headlight switch in the off position.

Would you like detailed information on the rest of my observations?

#18 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

I think you might have smashed something. Throttle is controlled by A and D, while reverser is controlled by W and S. When throttle is not in neutral position, reverser changing is disabled.

#19 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

View Postgpz, on 13 December 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

I think you might have smashed something. Throttle is controlled by A and D, while reverser is controlled by W and S. When throttle is not in neutral position, reverser changing is disabled.
Yep. Typo. Probably this cold medicine taking affect. Plus the credit card fraud department calling this morning about a charge on card the wife uses. Looked at my account on line and found another fraud charge. About $100 in all. Card company reversing them thank goodness. New card on the way.

#20 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

My questions remain unanswered. You software developers *know* how the whole shebang 3d cab is setup from *your* perspective, but how the 3d modeller puts it all together so code and 3d components work together is somewhat of a mystery, because it's a major new feature.

In the old-style 2d cabview the control levers, switches, dial pointers and taps, were all 2d animation - think ''cartoon'', whereas the new 'all' 3d cabview will have 3d animated objects - all requiring their respective 3d animation setup by the modeller, who does it in the same manner as animating rods, driver wheels, pantographs and wipers. Of course the modeller must correctly setup pivot points for *every* moveable object.

Another very critical point - the 3d cab model will be built as a separate model, with its own heirachy, at the same physical location as the cab position on the 'external view' locomotive model.

Why am I emphasising this --- too many years of poorly documented protocols for MSTS. We should, must, learn from the mistakes and difficiencies found in past experiences.

Good documentation is one of the most important factors of the whole OR project.

Cheers and thanks

Bazza.

This post has been edited by captain_bazza: 13 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users