• You cannot reply to this topic

x2698 Steam Locomotive Broken ? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:38 AM

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback - not sure who "Edwardk" is - new name on me - is that his user name here ?

I didn't get time to mess with this yet but I will try to get to it over the weekend...

Appreciate all the advice...

Regards,
Scott

#12 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:15 AM

View Postscottb613, on 12 December 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback - not sure who "Edwardk" is - new name on me - is that his user name here ?

Appreciate all the advice...

Regards,
Scott

Yes. He has a number of patches to his credit to do with repairing incorrect stock animation and tracking.

#13 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:02 AM

I cannot confirm if TSM, 3DC, require the main parent object to be main.

Capt.

Yes as to TSM. "Main" is the number 1 parent. All other sub objects and objects should be parented to "Main".

In TSM it is fairly simple to set up the hierarchy by using the "Part"---"Create part file merge list". All part's of the model are saved to a file That you name and can be loaded individually. This is necessary to put the parts in proper order as to their relation to the "Main" object. The "Main" object can be the frame or body, or as I do is use a single poly buried in the model and set as "Main". Part's would be loaded as "Main", "Bogie1", "Wheels11", "Wheels12", "Bogie2", "Wheels21", "Wheels22" and so on and so forth, and in the case of steam locomotives "Wheels1" thru however many then "Rods1" through however many. After this sub objects would be loaded one by one with their individual part's as to their relationship to the sub objects.

"Bogies1" and "Bogies2" as well as "Wheels11", "Wheels12", "Wheels13", "Wheels21", "Wheels22", "Wheels23" are animated by MSTS and I presume Open Rails. "Wheels1", "Wheels2", "Wheels3", "Wheels4", "Wheels5" and "Rod1" thru "?" however many are all animated by you the modeler.

Hierarchy examples.

Attached Image: Hierarchy.jpg

The example is in it's proper orientation as it would appear in TSM with "FRONT" to the right and "BACK" to the left in your viewer screen.

At some later date I may give a better examples for hierarchies for steam and diesel locomotives.

Although I have 3DC I have never done anything with it other than playing and couldn't give you any information related to it. Rick (thegrindre) might be able to shed some light on 3DC and it's inner workings.

Allen

#14 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:10 AM

Hi Folks,

Allen - always a pleasure to see you around - sir...

In 3DC - we use the same logical groupings but I believe the exporter arranges items in the shape file the way it sees fit - meaning - that the parent/child groups are maintained - but as Mervyn noted - I don't think we can control what order they appear in (if related to the problem) inside the shape file... Again - I'll try and play with it...

I did chat briefly with Derek - and he seemed to indicate this problem has popped up a few times during the development of OR and was somehow resolved in the OR application...

Since these models (this might affect ALL 3DC models - I'll look deeper) work satisfactory in MSTS - I would think the solution might have to reside in the OR code to meet the design goals of 1.0 - compatibility with MSTS...

Thanks for all the help...

Regards,
Scott

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users