Elvas Tower: Track Viewer - Difficulty selecting straight track sections/Tracks disappearing - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Track Viewer - Difficulty selecting straight track sections/Tracks disappearing Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR/MSTS

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:56 AM

Hello,

When trying use the Track viewer, some track sections are only partially selectable making it occasionally very difficult and rarely impossible to be precise when making paths.

Some notes (with limited experimentation):
  • Only seems to affect straight track sections. Curves, points and buffer track sections are all selectable so far.
  • Orientation seems to have some influence, I don't have any problems thus far with stations and yards running in a roughly North-South direction, East-West on the other hand shows problems.
  • Zooming can affect which track sections are selectable or not. Though at high levels of zoom some track sections are no longer rendered.

Example can be seen at Columbia Falls on default Marias Pass route.

1. Can select and move the cursor around on the buffer section of the siding.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8607/15353861884_569352335c_o.jpg

2. Moving the mouse pointer further to the right the cursor jumps to the mainline, on the siding the track section next to the buffer stop cannot be selected (green arrow is the approximate position of the mouse cursor) moving the mouse further south makes no difference the mainline is still selected.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7508/15976120315_17a835e766_o.jpg

3. Zooming in the mainline is no longer rendered, though the cursor is still visible, the siding still cannot be selected.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7516/15790123339_4b566f9a61_o.jpg

Moving further to the right I was able once more to select the siding but unable to select the mainline. The bug as shown isn't of much consequence, but it's the best I could find quickly on a default route. On another route I am trying to place a passenger path for a train roughly 100m long in a station platform but only 20m or so of the 300m platform is selectable.

Cheers,
John.

#2 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

i having these problems too. However for mee the disappearing track usually happens with curved sections.

#3 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

View Postdisc, on 09 December 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

i having these problems too. However for mee the disappearing track usually happens with curved sections.
Move the cursor around below the track you wish to select watching for the tracksection to turn red.

regards,

vince

#4 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:30 AM

View Postdisc, on 09 December 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

Hello,

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Track selection problem = only straights so far.
Track disappearing when zoomed in = all track sections.

Regards,
John.

#5 User is offline   JeroenP 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:31 AM

Dear JohnnyS
Sorry for the late reply.
Thank you very much for the clear explanation and using an example from one of the standard routes. This makes finding the issue so much easier.

The problem you are facing is due to a performance optimization I made. Instead of calculating for all tracksections the exact distance to the mouse location, I could only take a limited amount into account otherwise it would become way too slow, especially on large routes and unzoomed. Therefore, I did an initial culling based on the start of the tracksection. Unfortunately, in some cases the start of the track section is pretty far away, and many other small tracksections are in the neighbourhood. Only the 50 closest ones were taken into account for a more accurate calculation. And in some cases indeed the best track was missed.

What I did now is change this number 50 based on the zooming level. If you have a zoom that makes editing sensible, you get much more tracks that are calculated exactly. When zooming out, the accuracy is less relevant, but you do not loose performance because in that case not the same amount of tracks are calculated. So the effect is still there, but should not appear in relevant cases.

So I made the commit. In case you still see issues (for instance in other tracks, let me know).

Best regards, Jeroen.

#6 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:55 AM

Sounds good Jeroen -- and thank you very much for providing this utility!

#7 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:48 AM

View PostJeroenP, on 08 February 2015 - 04:31 AM, said:

So I made the commit. In case you still see issues (for instance in other tracks, let me know).

Best regards, Jeroen.

Hi, Jeroen,

Thanks very much for the fix and the utility as a whole.

Regards,
John.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users